It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

Jill2005 HB User
Question Discharge after colposcopy and cervical biopsy?

Hi all. I had a colposcopy and cervical biopsy on Friday afternoon after an abnormal pap. To stop the bleeding my (wonderful) gyn said he was applying this stuff that looked like "mustard" going in, but would look like "coffee grounds" coming out. No big deal. I had a yellowish discharge at first, but nothing that resembled "coffee grounds." Yesterday, I noticed a discharge (if you can even call it that) that resembled wet toilet paper. It was a reddish brown and the first piece was about 3" long. I then realized that there was a lot more in there - all resembling wet toilet paper. Was something packed inside of me to stop the bleeding or is this some sort of tissue from my body due to the procedure? I had a cervical biopsy back in the early 90's and I know I didn't have this issue then. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
(female)

cutigergirl HB User
Re: Discharge after colposcopy and cervical biopsy?

My guess is that it is mucus or tissue that sloughed off during the procedure that has blood mixed in? I had a good bit of spotting for about 2 days after my colpo and it went away within the 2 days. HTH! carrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #3

lyn1977 HB User

Jill-

I had the same thing after my leep but not after my colop. I think mine was just tissue. I assumed it was left over burnt tissue? But like I said, this was after my leep and I did not have anything after my biposy!

Old 01-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
(female)

Jill2005 HB User

Hi there. Thank you both for your replies. I was a little concerned about this (hence the post) as my gyn hadn't mentioned there was a possibility of this happening. I'm guessing the same thing... tissue having sloughed off, perhaps from the scope itself scraping against me. I guess if it continues for a couple of more days, I will give a buzz to the office just to make sure. I just feel like I want it "all cleaned out." I'm sure you girls know what I mean. Thanks again for your responses. I do feel better.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
(female)

ktdid HB User

hi, when i had my first leep done, i was bleeding a little more than usual so she put in a piece of surgical silk to help stop the bleeding. it came out in after a day or two... maybe they used something like that?

Old 01-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #6
(female)

Ballmom_14 HB User

I am so glad you addressed that issue. I had a cervical biopsy a few years ago, and my gyn didn't even tell me this stuff would come out at all. He just said that I would bleed for a few days, but not a lot. Well, I go home feeling fine, and the next day, out comes this horrible blackish-red tissue-looking blob. And I thought, well, maybe this is it, just left-overs from all the biopsies he had taken. But it kept happening over the next several days, and some of it was very large amounts at a time. I was too embarrassed to call and ask him about it (don't ask me why I would be embarrassed, considering it should be impossible to have any more modesty after a procedure like that). I just didn't know how to describe it over the phone, so I let it go, and it did go away. Okay, so all you ladies out there who may have this done in the future, just know that it's normal. Ugh, the price we pay to be women.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
(female)

Smiley123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill2005
Hi all. I had a colposcopy and cervical biopsy on Friday afternoon after an abnormal pap. To stop the bleeding my (wonderful) gyn said he was applying this stuff that looked like "mustard" going in, but would look like "coffee grounds" coming out. No big deal. I had a yellowish discharge at first, but nothing that resembled "coffee grounds." Yesterday, I noticed a discharge (if you can even call it that) that resembled wet toilet paper. It was a reddish brown and the first piece was about 3" long. I then realized that there was a lot more in there - all resembling wet toilet paper. Was something packed inside of me to stop the bleeding or is this some sort of tissue from my body due to the procedure? I had a cervical biopsy back in the early 90's and I know I didn't have this issue then. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
I had colposcopy and biobsy and I had a lot of bleeding. He put the stuff in there to stop the bleeding but also put in a tampon that he told me to take out in 3 hours. I did that and still bled some and I did see the coffee ground stuff that he discribed. I never had any of the other problems though. Hope you get to doing better.
Smiley123

Old 01-23-2005, 12:09 PM   #8
(female)

Ballmom_14 HB User

I wonder if it has to do with how many biopsies they take? Does anyone know what that stuff is? Is it just dried up medicine that they put in there to stop the bleeding, or is it tissue that sloughs off and comes out? Who knows....oh well, it's seemingly harmless and it does go away. That's all that matters, right?

Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
(female)

Jill2005 HB User

Okay, this is going to sound really gross, but here goes. Prior to getting in the shower a while ago, after I posted my original question, I really gave myself a "once over." Yesterday when I noticed this stuff coming out it kinda freaked me out and I did feel for more inside. Inside felt rough and full. I then extracted more of this stuff, but stopped, not knowing if it was something he had placed in there during the procedure.

Back to today. I noticed it felt somewhat different. Some parts smooth again, but most still rough. I was able to remove more long strips which I could actually grab with my finger and thumb, and just lumps as well. There was a reddish discharge and a bit of the coffee ground substance as well. In my non-medical opinion, it would appear that it is tissue from inside the vagina, sloughing off perhaps from the various liquids used, the colposcope, or any of the various instruments that were used during the procedure (my bet would be the iodine or other liquids). It now feels smooth and more back to normal, but there is still roughness or old tissue in there.

My only concern now is that my doctor had said nothing in the vagina for seven days. I hope I haven't put myself at any risk by probing around a bit. Geesh... that would be all I need!!

Thanks again for your responses. Nice to know there is place to turn to and get opinions and ideas from people who have gone through the same things. Have a great day everyone!!!

Old 01-24-2005, 02:47 PM   #10
(female)

spacecowgirl37 HB User

I've had that same kind of discharge after a coposcopy. What is a leep? Has anyone here actually had their dysplasia turn into carcinoma? I'm really scared. I had minor dysplasia a few years ago. It went away, but now all of a sudden I have severe dysplasia. I'm going in to have it removed within the next week, and they're sending that to the lab. I'm only 21 years old. I've already changed my lifestyle - quit smoking, quit drinking, etc.; but I'm just really freaking out. I know minor displasia is no thing but isn't severe dysplasia at my age something to really freak out about? I don't care about the procedure, I just don't want to feel like I'm going to die of cancer in the next couple of years.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
(female)

debrabla HB User

Im somewhat in the same boat. I had the colposcopy and cervical biopsies. They also did the ECC biopsy (Hurt terribly). Here it is 8 days later and I am still bleeding and cramping. Is this normal or should I call my doc?

Old 03-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
(female)

Jackkey97 HB User

Ok so I have a question and need some help. I am so sorry if any of this sounds to be to graphic. I had a colposcope and biopsy done last Thursday. That day I had some bleeding and cramping. The next couple days after that I had a bunch of that coffee ground looking stuff coming out. I also had seveal pieces of what looked to be skin come out. Here I am 8 days out and I am still having the coffee ground stuff and just had another piece of skin looking like thing come out. Should I be worried? Should I call my doctor? I have to in and see her on Thurs for a follow up appointment. Can anyone please help me???!!!!

Thank you!!!

Closed Thread