It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2003, 08:59 AM   #1

Jenfoot HB User
Question LEEP Procedure

I am so glad that I have found this site. I was just informed that I have to go in for a LEEP procedure on June 13. Right now I am very scared and do not know what to expect. I am a real wimp when it comes to pain (I guess who isn't right!) so this whole thing is really bothering me. If I could get some feedback on what this procedure is like and what to expect that would be very helpful.

Old 05-22-2003, 03:19 PM   #2

brwneyedgrl880 HB User
The LEEP procedure is not that bad. It actually hurt less than the biopsy they did. I had my done outpatient at the hospital. They gave me the choice of general anesthesia or a local. I chose to have it done with a local. They give you a shot to numb your cervix which is a little uncomfortable but not really painful. After the doctor started I only felt a little pain for about 30 sec and then felt nothing else. The whole procedure only took about 20 min and then I got to go home. It has been a week since I had it done and have had no problems. I got my results back yesterday -- no cancer cells only dysplasia. Now I go back for a follow up in 6 weeks and then pap tests every 3 mos for 2 years and then every 6 months. Try not to worry too much. The worry is much worse than the procedure. Good luck and let me know how you are doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
(female)

LeesGirl HB User
Question

Hello,
I am going for my LEEP this Monday the 2nd of June and I have a question for you... Even with the Local you felt pain??? and the shot for your cervix??? Ugh, now I am scared... Can you give me some more info? Thanks!!!
Born: 10/23/04 10:41pm
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Old 05-28-2003, 03:33 PM   #4

brwneyedgrl880 HB User
It really wasn't that bad. I only felt pain for about 10 seconds and i think it was just because the dr didn't wait long enough after he gave the injection to numb it. My doctor wanted me to have general anesthesia instead of a local because he had never done one with a local before, he had always used general anesthesia. I did a lot of research before my procedure and I am also the nurse so just from my experience and research I chose not to have general because of the risk factors that go along with it. If I had to do it over again I would do it the same way. It really wasn't as painful as the biopsy was. Mine was done 2 weeks ago today and i have had no problems at all. Am still having some very light discharge but nothing else. I did take 3 days off work afterwards and am glad I did. I got the results back last week and they got all of the abnormal cells so I just have to have a pap test done every 3 mos for 2 years and then every 6 months for 5 years and then back to 1 a year if everything has been alright up to that point. I am hoping to get pregnant within the next year and my dr says i should have no problems related to the procedure. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask and try not to worry too much

Old 05-29-2003, 06:50 AM   #5

Jenfoot HB User
Question

One more question for you! A few months ago my bridesmaids planned a party for me and it just happens to be the day after my surgery. I really don't want to cancel it as they have put a lot of time and energy into planning this event but on the other hand I'm worried I will not be able to enjoy myself. How did you feel the day after? Do you think it will be alright to carry on with the party? It's just a sit down get together so I won't have to move around a lot or anything like that.
Thanks again for all your help!!

Old 05-29-2003, 10:03 AM   #6
(female)

ginger77 HB User
Hi Jenfoot,

You should be okay the day after your LEEP procedure. As others have mentioned, the procedure itself isn't really all that bad. I had mine last week, and only felt slight uncomfort the actual day of the procedure. The next day I felt fine. Just don't plan on doing any dancing or other active activity so your cervix heals properly.

Good luck with your procedure.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
(female)

seijaansue HB User
Re: LEEP Procedure

Hi there!! I am really nervous. I am having a Colposcopy done. Is there a lot of bleeding after? It sounds so scary!! How long does it usually take. How bad are the cramps? Thanks!!!!

Old 12-05-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
(female)

Lvnglf HB User

I just had a colpo a week ago. Seij, it ain't that bad. If there's a t.v. though, don't look.

They made me bleed but nothing at all came "out" afterwards. It's no big deal! Just relax, and go in with some favorite song in your head, if you're as nervous as I was.

colpo doesn't take much more than 5 mins. No cramps afterwards for myself.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I have had two colpos's with biopsies and have to say the worst part is my own doing. I make myself a basket case just worrying about the appointment. When it comes right down to the procedure, it's not much more than a pap smear. I've had 6 biopsies taken and have to honestly say
I don't remember feeling any of them. My doctor has me cough, at the same time as she takes the sample. When I'm done with the cough, she's done with the biopsy. If you have to have a sample taken from your EEC, it's not exactly comfortable, but I can't say it's painful. If you can, take someone with you. My husband went last time and kept me distracted. It was over in no time.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:05 AM   #10
(female)

SLJ16 HB User

Hi everyone,

I've already had 2 colops and now i have to go for my third next Wed. can someone please refresh my memory. does it hurt? i can't remember. but i need someone to help me stay calm so any words of advice would be great!

Old 12-08-2005, 10:38 AM   #11
(female)

seijaansue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnglf
I just had a colpo a week ago. Seij, it ain't that bad. If there's a t.v. though, don't look.

They made me bleed but nothing at all came "out" afterwards. It's no big deal! Just relax, and go in with some favorite song in your head, if you're as nervous as I was.

colpo doesn't take much more than 5 mins. No cramps afterwards for myself.
Thanks so much!! Yes there was a T.V.!! I couldn't look!! It wasn't so bad!! I didn't need a biopsy. That was a relief.................. The doctor took a few more swabs..................I'll get my results in a few weeks, but it looks like I won''t be going back in about six months..................... thanks for sharing your stories, and good luck to every women that has to have this done to them..................It is scary, but it is so worth getting checked out........

Closed Thread