It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2003, 12:52 PM   #1
(female)

ginger77 HB User
Question Discharge after LEEP

Does anyone how long discharge after the LEEP procedure lasts? I've been having the "supposedly" normal "black coffee grind" looking discharge for a week now, with unplesant odor. For others who have the LEEP, did you experience the same thing?

Old 05-29-2003, 01:05 PM   #2

birdie74 HB User
Smile

Hi,

Well it has been a little over 2 weeks for me- and today really is the first day with no pad. I did not have the coffee grind looking discharge- mine was more like light bleeding. I also had some tissue come out as well. I would give it two weeks, even though I have read on some of these posts that it was longer. How long did your Dr. say your healing process would be. Mine said 4 weeks. Let me know how it goes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2003, 01:10 PM   #3
(female)

ginger77 HB User
My doctor said it should take about 4 weeks to heal. I'm scheduled to come back in on June 18th to make sure everything is healing okay. I haven't had any bleeding. My discharge has been more of a black and grayish color. I told my doctor about the odor a few days ago and she said that it was normal. However, on many websites they make it sound like bad odor isn't normal. Did yours have a foul odor?

Old 05-29-2003, 11:21 PM   #4

MsPLuMs HB User
YES i had that dark brown foul smelling discharge as well, with A LOT of tissue. i talked to my doctor and he said that its normal, but since my discharge lasted for about 3 weeks, he gave me some antibiotics cause my cervix was probably infected, which was why it was foul. since im taking birth control pills, taking the antibiotics made me vomit and naseuous, so i stopped but its okay now i think.

Old 05-30-2003, 07:30 PM   #5

birdie74 HB User
Hi there!

It is my second day with no discharge or cramping. I must admit the discharge did smell terrible and I felt like constantly changing the pad because of it. Has your doctor returned your results from the tissue that was removed yet?

Birdie

Old 05-31-2003, 11:51 AM   #6
(female)

ginger77 HB User
Hi Birdie,

My doctor did get the lab results from the tissue removed during the LEEP, mild to moderate dysplasia. She said there was one small area where the margins weren't 100% clear, but she thinks the burning she did of the edges after the LEEP should have taken care of it.

I still have this awful discharge. UGH. Hopefully it will go away in the next week.

Old 06-03-2003, 03:40 PM   #7

birdie74 HB User
Hi! Well your results sound very similar to mine! So we will have to check in with each other. The discharged stopped but today---I got my period I think. The worst part is having to wear a pad! UGH! Either that or it has started up again. I am on the pill so I am pretty sure it is my period.

Has your discharge tapered off yet? I quit my job and started a new job- so that is why I have not logged on sooner! I have been so busy! Let me know how you are!

Birdie

Old 06-03-2003, 08:59 PM   #8
(female)

ginger77 HB User
Hi Birdie,

My discharge seems to have stopped for the most part, though I am still bleeding a little bit (not my period). It's not heavy but I still sort of need to wear a thin pad or a panty liner. In 15 days, I go in for my post-procedure exam to make sure everything is healing properly. Hopefully it will be okay. My doctor said that I should be able to exercize in a week from now (3 weeks after the procedure). Does that sound right?

Old 10-20-2003, 11:03 PM   #9

EMR HB User
Hi Birdie and Atalide:
Its been a few months I see from these posts that u have written about your leep and discharge problems you were having. If you read this, please let me know if bottom line, it was normal to have odory discharge. Someone said in one of their posts that the dr. said it was normal, but then she would read that it isn't/wasn't. I'm confused myself. I will see my dr. in a wk. I had my leep 2 wks ago and i've had odory discharge since off and on, and some light bleeding since too. The odory discharge is better but I guess I'm wondering if this will go away.
For years off and on i've had odory discharge, sometimes I wonder if dr's. missed something the whole time and then finally i'm getting things done (such as the biopsies and the leep)...I just hope my results come out ok and eventually all will go back to normal. Hope you are all doing well !

Old 10-21-2003, 05:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi EMR,

There was a girl here about the time I had my first LEEP who kept complaining about a really foul smelling discharge. It turned out that her wound was infected and a course of antibiotics cleared things up for her. Plus, I would imagine that the healing was delayed by the infection. I am sorry I don't remember her screen name, but I think she had posted on this long post about CINI and II and the LEEP. The woman who started it was either called something southern or from Texas. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find - it was about 6 pages long when it changed. Somewhere in the middle, this girl told her story about getting antibiotics. A lot of girls seem to talk about the discharge, but I don't remember many talking about the smell except during the procedure.

Not to worry you, but it would be better to get it taken care of if there is any chance that it is infected.

Old 10-21-2003, 06:01 PM   #11

EMR HB User
Hi PaNik5717
Thanks for responding. I will look for those posts you are talking about. Seems like I've read so many different things re: the discharge. I plan to tell the dr. about it next wk. It is getting better (the odor) its not as odory, thank goodness.
Unfortunately I have had odory discharge off and on for years, and I get treated w/vaginal antibiotics and eventually it comes back.
In a way I'm glad I had a biopsy done, even though it came back abnormal, something is actually being done now...the Dr. assured it was not cancer, it came back as precancer, hopefully they got it all with the Leep.
I am tired of having problems.
I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and sometimes when its "period" time, I bleed a bit, not like a period but he says its because of the glands around my cervix, he even showed them to me on a vaginal ultrasound. Either which way, I kept my cervix, he took out one ovary, my uterus and 2 large fibroids.
Some ladies have had odory discharge like me (so I've read) and their drs said it was normal, that is confusing to me. Either which way, I'll talk to the dr.
Thanks so much for your response. Hope you are doing well w/your health.

Closed Thread