It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

cor0319 HB User
Asleep or Awake for leep?

I'm leaning toward requesting a LEEP if my colpo results come back abnormal and I'm expecting that they will. How many of you who have had LEEPs have been awake for the procedure and how many have been "asleep"? I'm terrified of feeling and hearing what's going on and would like to be asleep for it in the event that I do have it done. (I'm just trying to prepare myself for it because I talk to the doc on Monday about results and what he thinks I should and what I want to do).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks guys

Old 03-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Ivana HB User
Re: Asleep or Awake for leep?

I had both of my LEEPs awake. The first time i felt absolutely nothing. It was a breeze. The second time was not painful but there was some strange discomfort. It didn't hurt but i sort of felt when the wire loop passed. It was a weird feeling and i couldn't wait for it to be over. When my gyno went into the endocervical canal I felt that even more. I think it was enough lidocaine and epinepherine to take a way the pain but it left me with the sensation of the procedure. Overall, I don't think i'd go for general anesthesia...it's not necessary and definitely bearable for the 10 minutes it takes. The overall procedure is 30 min. with prep time and colposcopic observation and finishing up (cauterizing).

Last edited by Ivana; 03-01-2005 at 11:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
(female)

aussie22 HB User

I VERY VERY highly recommend having your LEEP when you're asleep. They only give you a very very light anaesthetic through a tube that they stick in your hand... and that's about the only pain I felt, full-stop. The last thing I remembered was asking the doc if it would hurt afterwards and then I was waking up while they wheeled me into recovery. Nothing hurt, and nothing ever did. Couldn't even believe I'd just had surgery!!!!!

Old 03-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #4

lobo1977 HB User

agreed. i was petrified of anesthesia, but its a quick procedure and you CANNOT BELIEVE u even had it - its so weird! I was wheeled in and 2 seconds later was waking up fine!

Old 03-01-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
(female)

susanne88 HB User

i would have it awake it is alot cheaper and it only takes 5 min to do so why be put to sleep when you are in and out and done. you feel nothing take it from me i cant handle the slightest little bit of pain at all when it comes to things like that and i didnt feel anything. and got right up and left lets me put it this way i had appointment at 10:15am and was out and going down the road at 10:30am. with no pain.

Last edited by susanne88; 03-04-2005 at 01:03 PM.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:53 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Ivana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanne88
i would have it a sleep it is alot cheaper and it only takes 5 min to do so why be put to sleep when you are in and out and done. you feel nothing take it from me i cant handle the slightest little bit of pain at all when it comes to things like that and i didnt feel anything. and got right up and left lets me put it this way i had appointment at 10:15am and was out and going down the road at 10:30am. with no pain.
Definitely a waste of time to be asleep. Once I was done with both my LEEPs I went back to work and felt great. No IV, just a quick 5 second anaesthetic into the cervix and it's frozen.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:58 AM   #7
(female)

SLJ16 HB User

I think it depends on how severe your condition is. i was awake for my LEEP. I didn't feel a thing really. There was one moment where i did and my dr. numbed me again. I honestly thought the worst part about the LEEP was worrying about how it would feel. I felt fine afterwards. I would recommend being awake. Its kind of pointless to be put to sleep if your Dr. doesn't think you should be.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #8

lobo1977 HB User

Actually its is more expensive doing it asleep - you have the anesthesia bill (Mine was $330, i think thats average) and the hospital bills (mine was $5900 for 3 HOURS - ridiculous, but I also had the laser - I would say an average hospital leep bill might be about half of that, 2 or 3 thousand) and i havent even gotten the lab bill yet.

If you're doing a leep in a dr's office, you just have the dr bill and the lab bill.........My dr bill was $850 btw.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:40 AM   #9
(female)

resqkitty HB User

I had my Leep 1 week ago. I had CIN III. My DR put me completely under. IV, Tube in throat, mask on, I was as out as you can get. I woke up felt fine. Didn't feel bad from anything. One of the reason my DR used this method is because of how much he was removing and how severe my dypalsia was. I feel fine now. A little cramping with lots of walking. I am a cardiac tech and on my feet all day. I would recommend being put out. It takes alot a stress out of the procedure.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
(female)

CreedFan99 HB User

I had the LEEP procedure performed under IV sedation. I had CIN II -- the doc said it was the preferred method b/c of the stress of the procedure, and because of how much easier the surgery goes. I was terrified of being put under, they gave me a shot of Versed (spelling prob there) to calm me down right before the procedure, and then the sedation -- I didn't remember anything, no time lapse...I only began remembering why and where I was b/c they were moving me from the operating bed to the recovery bed and I saw the blood on the sheet. I'm an easily stressed person....my advice is this:

If the trauma of the procedure (someone messing around in your private areas - meant for pleasure and birth I always thought) will haunt you later, get the IV sedation - no tubes or mask, just an IV. I know it would have bothered me, I'm glad I don't remember what it was like :-) It is cheaper to have it in office, but I remember more about the nice warm blankets and pleasant buzz of the Versed than I do the scary stuff, and that comforts me a lot now.

Hope that helps!
Creedfan

Old 03-04-2005, 06:03 AM   #11
(female)

cor0319 HB User
Re: Awake or asleep?

Thank you to everyone who replied! I think I will opt for being asleep as I have an anxiety problem. I find out on Monday the results of my biopsy and will decide with the doc what should be done about all of this. I still think I want to have whatever it is removed because knowing that I have high-risk HPV and a lesion will drive me crazy. If I have to sit around and simply wait for it to get to the point where it needs to be taken out why not just do it now when I'm mentally prepared for it and it might not be so scary. I don't know, I'd just rather be proactive than reactive.

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated

Old 03-04-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
(female)

Sugarhi16 HB User
Re: Awake or asleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cor0319
Thank you to everyone who replied! I think I will opt for being asleep as I have an anxiety problem. I find out on Monday the results of my biopsy and will decide with the doc what should be done about all of this. I still think I want to have whatever it is removed because knowing that I have high-risk HPV and a lesion will drive me crazy. If I have to sit around and simply wait for it to get to the point where it needs to be taken out why not just do it now when I'm mentally prepared for it and it might not be so scary. I don't know, I'd just rather be proactive than reactive.

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated
I agree with you on wanting it out of you. I was upset when I was told I needed a leep, but then I thought about it and I wanted it out of my body asap! Since I was in that mindset, it made it much easier to deal with surgery.

I was awake for my leep, but if you have anxiety, then I would reccommend being asleep. You'll be less stressed. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-05-2005, 04:48 PM   #13

lobo1977 HB User

I feel strongly that anything over moderate dysp, needs to be treated. Luckily leeps are very safe/non invasive, (as opposed to a lot of other types of surgery!) and quick!!! Dont stress, my dr says she does like 50 a week - its (sadly) very common, but that means most dr's are experienced in doing them.........

Old 03-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #14
(female)

jcochr00 HB User

I was awake for my LEEP. My obgyn was without skill or tack. I didnt get numb all the way, had a painful experience, and he prepared the biopsy directly in my sight. (I know its mine but I didnt want to see it!) I have to do it again in 2 weeks, and I am requesting sedation. Not to say that all experiences will be like mine, I just want to let you know that it can happen.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:47 AM   #15
(female)

Nina8303 HB User

I was awake for my Leep...from what I read and from what my dr. told me I thought it would be no problem. I was mainly worried about any cramping afterward because I experience horrible cramps every month. To my surprise the local anethestic was a waste because I felt the entire thing! It was extremely painful for me. I had CIN III so maybe that is why it was so painful but i'm not sure. The injections from the anesthetic didnt really bother me but the whole procedure did. It was a horrible experience from me. I was tensing up so much and trying my best not to move away from the doctor. Then at one point I could see the part of my cervix that she removed and put into a plastic jar. I quickly covered my face with my hand and kept my head turned in the opposite direction. Then I started to get dizzy and sweat. I almost passed out. The nurses had to take my blood pressure (which was low) and they were then trying to instruct me to take deeper breaths. It hurt so much that I didn't even think about breathing. I thought afterward would be horrible cramping but I felt nothing at all. I just felt a little awkward. I felt strange about moving around too much. It was a sensitive feeling. Maybe it was all in my mind I don't know. But i stayed in bed for the remainder of that day and the next day. But luckily no cramping. I told my doctor that if I do have to have it done again (which i pray that i don't) that I want to be put asleep. She told me that then she would just do a cone biopsy instead but I read that it is very hard to have children after a cone. So if it happens again i'm doing a leep asleep. No exceptions for me. But I think that i'm the exception. I haven't heard of the experience being painful for many people at all. I'm the worst case that i've heard lol

Closed Thread