It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 07:14 AM   #1
(female)

cor0319 HB User
Sex before LEEP

Question: I'm having a LEEP on thursday morning (the 24th). I have been given instructions about not eating/drinking after midnight the night before but other than that, no real instructions. Before my biopsy I was told no sex for 24-36 hours before hand so I'm wondering if it's the same for the LEEP. I called the doc and the nurse said "well, i would think at least 24 hours because you wouldn't want semen in there, I would maybe even give it up to 72 hours, but I would imagine 24 hours is ok" So... my thought is 24 hours prior because to be honest 3-4 weeks after the procedure is long enough.

Have any of you been given clearer instructions on this? If so please share. Sorry for the detail but I'm sure you all understand.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
(female)

tpagm HB User
Re: Sex before LEEP

hello-

I had my first leep this past friday and I was not given instructions. I had sex on Wednesday night and everything was ok. So 24hrs is probably ok. Let me know if you have any questions about the procedure. Good luck : )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 08:23 AM   #3
(female)

cor0319 HB User

Thanks! The only other question I have is about how I will feel afterward. I have a fairly high pain-threshold, but I was still miserable and sore for two days after just the biopsy which makes me wonder how bad it will be after the LEEP. Is recovery similar to the biopsy? better? worse?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
(female)

tpagm HB User

Are you being put to sleep with your leep? I was put under for mine. I have felt perfectly fine since the surgery. I have had no side effects whatsoever. I had horrible side effects from the colposcope and the biospies. I felt horrible when I got home from the biospies..lots of cramping and spotting. With the leep its the complete opposite I can't even tell I had surgery and I have hardly any spotting. I have no pain. I was told that I shouldn't go the gym and limit my activities for a couple of weeks so that is what I plan on doing. I go for my follow up appointment in 2 weeks. So I would say the recovery is definitely different..there is really no recovery. Now keep in mind I was put under not sure if it is different if your awake. I hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
(female)

cor0319 HB User

Thanks again! I will also be asleep for mine, so I'm hoping that the worst part will be the IV, which I've had before. I'm sorry to keep asking so many questions but every time someone answers I come up with another one. The doc said I'd have to wear a pad for a few weeks for discharge, no problem, that makes sense. But, he said for the first two days I would have approx. 15 feet worth of gauze in the vagina, sort of like a pressure bandage, but on the inside. Did you have that and if so what was it like? and if not, have you heard of that before.

I'm sorry for so many questions but as it's only 3 days away now I'm starting to get really nervous.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
(female)

tpagm HB User

Please don't apologize for asking questions. I had a million questions myself.
I have never heard of the gauze. I know they put in a solution mulson (sp?) or something like that to stop the bleeding. The same solution used in the colopscope. I don't have any guaze in me...definitely nothing that is 15 feet long. I actually don't even need a pad since I have hardly any discharge at all. My discharge is mainly just when I go to the bathroom so I really don't even need a pantyliner. From what I understand the dr. should not be putting any gauze in you and leaving it there since that can cause an infection. To discribe my discharge without being gross it is kinda stringy but that is the solution coming out of me maybe that is what your dr. means. The IV was definitely the worst part and that wasn't bad at all. I would say the worst part now is waiting for the results.
Ask as many questions as you like. I will answer them as best as possible especially since I just had my procedure a few days ago.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Ivana HB User

Usually they apply Monsel's solution to stop any bleeding...it makes like a scab which slowly then starts disolving over the next couple of weeks which gives that brownish discharge. There's also Effudex treatment following a LEEP...same principal as the Monsel's.

Last edited by Ivana; 03-21-2005 at 10:54 AM.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
(female)

tpagm HB User

cor0319-
You may want to check with your doctor to find out what he means by a 15 foot gauze...to me that does not sound right at all. I don't think a 15 foot gauze is necessary for this procedure.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #9
(female)

resqkitty HB User

As far as having sex before the procedure I would play it safe and wait at least 72 hours. The Dr is going to use the same method of putting a vinagear solution on your cervix before he cuts any tissue away. With sex you get semen and our bodies own fluid, which both can cause problems. Be safe isn't a month or 2 without sex worth it to know that you have done everything possible to take care of your body. As far as 15 feet of gauze never heard of that. Most Dr use a paste that stops the bleeding. You will slowly exspell it out of your body. It looks like coffee grounds. I would ask your Dr again about the gauze.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:53 AM   #10
(female)

cor0319 HB User

Of course no sex for a month is worth it. I was only asking because I hadn't been given any instructions, that's all. And I asked the doc again about the gauze and it's only there for the first 24 hours, then it's just a pad for a few weeks. I am actually comforted by the thought of the gauze because the longer there is pressure there, the less it will bleed later on.

This is probably the last time you'll hear from me until Monday because I don't have internet at home and the LEEP is tomorrow.

Wish me luck, and good luck to all of you.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:24 AM   #11
(female)

ElenaK HB User

Good luck with your LEEP! I hope it is 100% painless and 200% successful! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Looking forward to your post-LEEP message.

God bless.

Closed Thread