It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 03:13 AM   #1
(female)

rowdy_angel HB User
Unhappy I'm Very Scared

Hi, I've just registered with this forum after trawling around looking for somewhere that may be able to give me support and guidance.

I went to see my doctor last week as my tummy has been swollen for a couple of months now. The symptoms I had led me to suspect IBS and at first, my doctor made the same suggestion.

However, he then went on to examamine my abdomen. He asked if there was any possibility that I was pregnant. I said that I wasn't - still having periods, no breast tenderness or other pregnancy symptoms. He said that he could detect a mass in my stomach which is equivalent to a 22 week pregnancy. He then did a mini-ultrasound. He asked if I would be OK with him doing a vaginal examination but I wasn't too kean by this time, I was already quite worked up and tense.

He has arranged for me to have blood tests and also an ultrasound scan at the hospital. My blood test will be done tomorrow and I can expect an appointment for my ultrasound in a couple of weeks time.

He suspects an ovarian cyst. Obviously, I am very very worried about this as I know that in some cases, the cyst can be cancerous. I am petrified in case I have ovarian cancer. I can't stop worrying about it.

This last month has been so distressing - 2 family bereavements and the other day one of my cats was run over and died. It seems that lately, I have been surrounded by death which I think has made me worry even more.

I know that this particular forum addresses ovarian cancer but I couldn't find one aimed at ovarian cysts.

Please can any of you tell me if you have been/are in the same predicament as me at the moment? Any help and support will be greatly appreciated.

Jayne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 03:42 AM   #2
(female)

tpagm HB User
Re: I'm Very Scared

I am not going through what you are however, a friend of mine had a similiar problems and it turned out that one of her ovaries filled up with blood. The doctors did not notice for months and then all of a sudden she had really bad cramping thinking maybe she just had a sick stomach and had to go to the bathroom. Finally she went to a new doctor and right away that doctor told her that one of her ovaries was the size of an orange/grapefruit and it had to be removed right away. She went into surgery and they removed it and she has been fine ever since.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:46 AM   #3
(female)

hypokelly HB User

Dear Rowdy
I hope your blood work goes well, but I was amazed that you won't be having your ultrasound for awhile(you must be Canadian)
I had my ultrasound yesterday, don't go back to doc till April 7th.I haven't been feeling well for awhile.I was a little freaked out about ovarian cancer too, but for some reason after having the ultra sound I feel less anxiety( maybe because the tech did not go running out of the room for someone to view my results,haha)
Do you know what blood work you had?
Good luck to you Rowdy,
kelly

Old 03-29-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
(female)

ijulia HB User

Hey Rowdy,
I too have been concerned about cancer, not of the ovaries but uterine. I have been in pain for about three weeks with abnormal bleeding. The only thing that I can say is pray. I know we hear that alot, but it is the best thing other than testing. I have learned over the past few years with my struggle that nothing makes you feel better than prayer. I have learned to turn over all of my worries and fears to God and I have allowed Him to do what I can't. Good luck with everything and I will be sure to pray for your well-being.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #5
(female)

rowdy_angel HB User

Hypokelly, I'm in England. I guess I should be grateful for our NHS but it is pretty bad that I have to wait so long just for an ultrasound - if I had private medical insurance, I'm sure it would be quicker, but I can't afford it.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

DCV HB User

My wife's colleague at work had a cyst removed from her that was as big as a softball. Not cancer, but lots of things besides cancer happen down there. Most of the time its nothing that can't be fixed by removing it.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
(female)

rowdy_angel HB User

Well I went to my doctor this morning for my blood test but it seems that my veins went into hiding as the nurse couldn't get any blood out of me!! This has happened before - it seems I'd be no good as a blood donor as they'd never get any out!!

So, I have to go to the haematology department at my hospital to have it done. If they can't get any out of my arm them they'll have to try the back of my hand (no so keen on the idea, sounds painful). I couldn't go today because I had to go to a funeral and I'm also waiting for a telephone interview for a job. I'm back at work tomorrow so I'll have to book some time off work to go.

I've got the blood test slip and it looks like the test will be for the following - biochemistry profile, full blood count, ESR and also there is a note to have CEA and BHCC.

I'm not sure what the last two are. Can anyone give me any clues?

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:15 AM   #8
(female)

ElenaK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy_angel
I've got the blood test slip and it looks like the test will be for the following - biochemistry profile, full blood count, ESR and also there is a note to have CEA and BHCC.

I'm not sure what the last two are. Can anyone give me any clues?

Thanks.
CEA stands for Carcinoembryonic Antigen. The CEA is a tumor marker, i.e. a substance produced by tumor cells or by the body's response to tumor cells. The CEA test most often screens for colorectal cancer, although the levels of CEA in blood can be elevated in other forms of cancer as well (gastrointestinal, liver, lung, pancreatic, thyroid, breast). High blood CEA levels do not necessarily mean cancer. Several NON-cancerous conditions (e.g. peptic ulcer and colitis) can produce increased levels of CEA.

I am afraid I do not know what BHCC stands for.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-06-2005, 12:07 AM   #9
(female)

rowdy_angel HB User

Hi, just to let you know that I have an appointment on Tue 12th April for my ultrasound scan. I'm very nervous. It won't be a vaginal scan, just a normal scan of my tummy.

Also, I'm waiting for the results of my blood test.

I'm still scared though.

One thing that has occurred to me is that just over 12 months ago, I noticed that I had a bald patch on my right temple about 4cm in diameter. I underwent blood tests for this which came back clear and the hair has now started to grow back - the patch is almost completely gone. In addition, I have also noticed excess hair growing on my tummy (underneath my belly button) and on my face (lower cheeks and chin).

These seem to be symptoms of PCOS - Polycystic Ovary Symdrome, so it could well be that that is what I have although I'm only guessing. Has anyone else been diagnosed with PCOS?

Rowdy.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:45 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

layla= HB User

A dear friend of my husbands family just had a 13lb cycst removed with no complications, I am in england to and although we have the nhs it is no compensation for the amount of time we have to wait for these important appointments. Pcos runs through our family like brown eyes, and amazingly everyone who has it have all had children with no problems, my cousin has 8 kids. and on her 9th pregnancy.
Keep ya chin up babes it will be over soon, let us know how you get on.xxx

Closed Thread