It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 08:15 AM   #1

T&M's mom HB User
I have a ?? about cervical cancer?

I had mild dysplasia back in 1990, my doc did biopsy and was going to do that cryo, the day it was scheduled my doctor had me take a pregnacy test first and said I was pregnate and could not do cryo. After my son was born they gave me another pap and the dysplasia was gone and I thought that meant it would not come back. Since then I did paps every 6 months then in 96 I had a tubal and did not care for the new doc that took over my doctors practice and one thing or another have not had a pap done since. Last week I started haveing sever pain in lower abdomen and called a doctor. I went in on Thursday and had a pap done, he said it may be cervical cancer and lectured me for not having paps done. I have 4 boys and I am so scared right now I do not know if it could be or not, my doc has scheluded me for a ultra sound in 2 weeks. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. I am so freaked right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cocoeyes HB User
Re: I have a ?? about cervical cancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&M's mom
I had mild dysplasia back in 1990, my doc did biopsy and was going to do that cryo, the day it was scheduled my doctor had me take a pregnacy test first and said I was pregnate and could not do cryo. After my son was born they gave me another pap and the dysplasia was gone and I thought that meant it would not come back. Since then I did paps every 6 months then in 96 I had a tubal and did not care for the new doc that took over my doctors practice and one thing or another have not had a pap done since. Last week I started haveing sever pain in lower abdomen and called a doctor. I went in on Thursday and had a pap done, he said it may be cervical cancer and lectured me for not having paps done. I have 4 boys and I am so scared right now I do not know if it could be or not, my doc has scheluded me for a ultra sound in 2 weeks. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. I am so freaked right now.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Yes, it can come back because you have the HPV virus and their is no cure for this YET!!!

about 80% of the population has this and so do I so don't feel bad about it. It's NOTHING to beat yourself over, however you do have keep yourself up on having your yearly paps done. Once you've been told you had dysplasia on your cervix, you have to keep up with the doctors.

How long did you not go without having a regular pap check up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #3

T&M's mom HB User

You are all going to freak but it has been 8yrs since my last pap. My husband read this after I posted this and he said he thought the same thing that the doc meant it would never come back. Has any one on here ever had pain in the lower abdomine and did find out it was cancer? I just do not know what to tell my kids my 17 yr old and 14 yr old I think they understand more then my 11 or 8 yr old. I am so scared for them and do not know what is right to tell them and what I should withhold. I have always been open and honest with them but they think I am going to die like their grandma did. She died of lung, bone, and brain cancer that is why I am so freaked about this. I know I should have kept up on my health care but was more concerned about my kids getting to doctors and so on.

Last edited by T&M's mom; 05-01-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
(female)

mymollybt1 HB User

Don't jump to any conclusions yet.......! Your pap results should be back soon so try not to stress until you know something for sure. You could be worrying over nothing as abdominal pain can be caused by a number of different things. Best of luck and please keep us up to date!

Old 05-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
(female)

phaedrus HB User

Please also bear in mind that cervical cancer can be treated and cured, and typically is one of the less agressive cancers out there. It can take up to ten years for abnormal cells to develop into cancer, and even then the early stages can be treated. My friend had stage 1a cancer, and a very simple operation removed it, and she was clear for four years. The one thing you need to remember though, is if you do have HPV (which is likely), it can mutate the cells in future, so from now on you must do everything you are supposed to. However even if dysplasia returns, it can be treated easily at this stage. My doc says that as long as you get your paps done you just simply can't die from cervical cancer (sweeping statement I know, as there are always exceptions to the rule, but you get the general point).
I missed my paps for 10yrs, even though I knew 9 yrs ago that I have HPV. Now I have severe dysplasia, and am due for a leep. But you see, it took 10 yrs for my cells to become dysplastic. Look out for other symptoms, bleeding between periods, odd vaginal discharge, in addition to the pain.
I sympathize very much with you, and you have every right to feel panicked and scared. It is very frightening, especially when your doc just comes out and says it might be cancer. Proper protocol requires that the tests should be complete before they use the c word. I was told the same thing in the same way, and then had to wait in fear for other tests to be done and results to come back before I got my head around it. Meanwhile, during the waiting I just kept thinking "its cancer, its cancer, I am going to die...." But I found the most help in the research I did. There are wonderful sites out there for cervical cancer that can prepare you for what treatments are likely, what terminology is, how HPV is connected to cancer, statistics, etc.
Good luck, let us know the results...

Old 05-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
(female)

Summer0404 HB User

Phaedrus is absolutely right! Cervical cancer is one of the slowest growing cancers. It is also very treatable in most cases. Did your Dr schedule a biopsy as well? If not, I would call and speak to him about it and ask why not. Pap smear results are wrong all the time. The only way to be sure is with a biopsy. I'm also very surprised he is making you wait 2 wks to go in for an ultrasound. If he really thought it might be cancer, I would think he would test right away. Cancer is a very scary word, definitely not to be thrown around as a "maybe " diagnosis. I would definitely call your Dr and ask him to explain.

Just please, please from now on, get regular paps. I know it gets crazy when you spend all of your time taking care of your children, but you can't do that unless you take care of yourself!

Take deep breaths and relax. Information will give you peace of mind. There is a ton of info on the net about dysplasia. Just a hint, but don't get confused with articles that talk about the type of HPV that causes genital warts. That is a different strain than the one that causes dysplasia and cervical cancer. There is also a ton of misinformation and misconceptions on the web, so be sure the websites you research are medical sites.

Please post and let us know what the Dr says. I will be thinking about you.

Summer

Old 05-12-2005, 10:44 PM   #7

T&M's mom HB User

I just wanted to let you all know I got my pap and ultra sound results back today, everything looked normal. I am so releaved.
Thank you all for the info I did receive and I am not going to miss another yearly again. Thank you all again and good luck to you all.
Candy

Old 09-26-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
(female)

valariekeller HB User

Hello... last year I had a clear pap test (11 months ago) However, now I am having pain on my lower abdomin and have been spotting after sex. My periods are also extremely heavy. My Dr. tested for Clamydia & Goneria (SP) and also did a pelvic ultrasound...all tests were clear. He then told me to wait and see if my symptoms go away (I'm 43 yrs old). After doing some research on line I called him back and insisted on having a pap test. Is it safe to assume that if your previous pap was clear that this isn't cancerous or pre-cancerous. I hate to be a worry wort...but, somthing just doesn't feel right. Thanks for listening!

Old 09-27-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
(female)

notorious b HB User

You can't assume anything, unfortunately. Having a clear pap does not mean you have NO abnormal cells. My past 3 paps have been normal until this one where I had CIN III/carcinoma in situ. The pap is not always a clear indicator of what is really going on.

BUT, remember, your doctor sees these things all the time. If you told him about your problems and he knows your worries, I think you are okay. We tend to think they don't know exactly what is happening to us, but that is their job. The internet almost does more harm than good in these situations. We end up having too much knowledge and completely freaking ourselves out. The best thing to do is just keep taking vitamins and go in on a regular basis to do your paps. And also, always tell your doctor all the problems you have... with all that, it seems that you will have it all covered.

Last edited by notorious b; 09-27-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I have never had a pap come back abnormal. Yet, at my doctors exam one year ago, my primary provider thought my cervix looked odd, so she sent me to a gyn. The gyn did colposcopy/biopsies and the cells did come back abnormal and could not rule out a lesion.
Six months later I went in for another colpo/biopsy/pap and still the pap came back normal but the biopsies again showed abnormal cells. I have tested negative for HPV. Until a biopsy comes back showing NO abnormal cells, two times in a row, I have to be checked every six months. It's good to keep up on your pap tests, but they don't always tell the whole story.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:34 AM   #11
(female)

TrishW HB User

I recently (two weeks ago) had a LEEP done. My Dr. sent it out to a pathologist to look at. He just told me yesterday that they were unable to get all of the cells and we need to do the procedure again. He said that he was somewhat concerned because he was quite generous with what he took the first time. He mentioned something about it being in the endocervical gland. But he is waiting to talk with the pathologist again. He also stated that there was no evidence of invasion. My question is, has anyone ever had to do this before so closely together and what are my chances of having a full recovery and being able to have children? I would just like to hear from someone who may have had a similar experience and can help me with what to expect. Also, I have had normal paps since I was about 17 years old and never had an abnormal result until now.

I am only 31 years old and would like to have at least one more child. I am fortunate enough to have an 8 year old but would still like to have another.

By the way I am new to this forum and have read several of these posts and feel that you all are very nice and enjoy helping other people with there issues.

Thank you,
TrishW

Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #12
(female)

notorious b HB User

See, this is what is so weird. After my Leep, I asked my doctor if we got all of them and she said we can't know that until we do the repeat pap in 3 months. So, how does your doctor know and mine doesn't? I'm confused on that...

BUT, to discuss your other question, I have read on several sites that although there can be issues with carrying a child full term after having multiple Leeps, it isn't guaranteed that you will have a problem. You may just have to be on bedrest, or have the cervix sown up or deliver early... Tell your doctor about your concerns, that should help answer questions that we can't.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:09 AM   #13
(female)

TrishW HB User

I spoke with my Dr. again and he said that the pathologist said that we need to go back because there were no clear margins. I read one of the posts on this site somewhere and someone explain it like this...

If you have a bruised apple and you cut the bruise out you look at the piece of apple that was cut away to see if you removed all of the bruise, right? If you still see brown that means that you more than likely still have some bruising left behind and may have to cut more of the apple away until all of the bruising is removed. But if the section that you cut away is white then you know that you have gotten all of the bruise.

Do you understand what I am trying to say? When I read this I thought okay maybe this isn't so bad I could only have just a trace left behind. Since hopefully he has already taken a majority of the abnormal cells. I am still waiting to hear back from my Dr. again to find out some more information on what the pathologist actually found. I must admit that I am feeling better from reading all of the information on this site and in these posts.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #14
(female)

notorious b HB User

Right, I totally understand about clear margins, but thanks for the info... I just can't figure out why your doctor was able to know for sure that they didn't get it all and my doctor said "we won't know until we do another pap." How come my doctor doesn't know for sure.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #15
(female)

IwishIwereaman HB User

Because they cautonize it (SP-sorry). The burning that they do folds up and probably ruined whatever bad cells were left, but until the next pap, its unsure.

Closed Thread