It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
(female)

Kelzilla HB User
question about low grade vs high grade pap results

Back in Dec of 2003 I went for a PAP. It came back abnormal, so I went and had a Colposcopy-Biopsy and the results came back low-grade. I was to get another PAP done in 5 months. Over 2004 I had a cycle of PAP then Colposcopy then PAP then Colposcopy (all results low-grade) until Dec of 2004 when they did a LEEP. The results for the LEEP came back high-grade. My Doctor at the time told me not to worry though and go for a PAP in 4 months. I recently had to change doctors though (my old doctor went to work in Boston, too long a drive for me) and had my PAP done. The results came back abnormal again so I went for another Colposcopy. My question is, is it normal to get so many low-grade results back, then to find out after the LEEP that it was high grade? Also, is it normal for a Copolscopy to cause my period to start almost 2 weeks early? Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Ivana HB User
Re: question about low grade vs high grade pap results

Hi Kelzilla...well i can tell you that it is normal to have a low-grade pap and later find out that there was also high-grade. This is due to the fact that the pap is far from being 100% accurate. In fact it is unreliable up to 50% of the time. The only reliable method of diagnosis is have a piece of tissue which is analysed. Such was the case with your LEEP...even a biopsy can't give you adefinite answer since it only removes a tiny piece of tissue. A single lesion could be low and high grade at the same time.

I'm wondering what is the result of your most recent colposcopy? If you have more dysplasia are you being sent for another LEEP?

And yes, it can cause your period to come early. After my second LEEP my period was 10 days early and I am very regular, every 28 days so it freaked me out...i had read though somewhere that it can cause your first menstrual cycle after a LEEP to be either early or late....so not to worry! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

Kelzilla HB User

I haven't gotten the results of my colposcopy back yet (just had it done thursday). I did tell my obgyn that I didn't want to go through the pap/colposcopy/pap cycle again, especially when the leep showed it was high grade and it's not healing itself. I go on the 19th to get my results and to discuss "options". That was the word she used. I had told her when I went for my pap that I didn't want to do the same cycle I did last year, and if it came down to me having another colposcopy, that I wanted something done rather than waiting. Course all of this hinges on my upcoming wedding (June 25th) so I have to plan whatever I do next till after the wedding. The stress of this, coupled with the wedding, I'm surprised I haven't gone start raving looney-tunes yet.

Another thing I had told my doctor about, and wanted to ask, does/did anyone have cramps all the time? I've been having cramps daily for about the past 6 weeks. Not bad ones, more like the cramps that are a nuisance, not worth taking pain meds for. I've also noticed that the pain is especially bad after I have sex with my fiance.

Thanks for getting back to me about this.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Ivana HB User

I can't help you about the cramp stuff....didn't have that but try to control your stress...believe me i know how you feel...all this started happening to me right before my wedding last sept! I had my first LEEP 2 weeks after my wedding...we planned our honeymoon for 3 weeks after that so I can heal and move on!...unfortunately that didn't happen...in jan i was told i need another LEEP! Make sure to talk to your doctor about the cramps...it's not uncommon to have cramps or bleeding after intercourse when you have dysplasia.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
(female)

jlk HB User

kelzilla, what did ur results say on the 19th? and what are your options? i've been recently diagnosed with stage one pre-cancer (a week ago). my first abnormal pap came back, had the biopsy a week later and now planning on my first leep in a few weeks. i'm not too sure what to think....very nervous that this will be a cycle for the rest of my life. i'm only 26 and probably won't be married for a few years yet. i want to have kids and i'm afraid if i get too many of these leep procedures that having kids will be a far reach. so i would love to know what 'options' your doctor has given u. hope you are well!

Old 06-08-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
(female)

SLJ16 HB User

I really need some advice. I posted a new forum but no one has responded. After reading your posts I think this is the best place to put mine in.
I'm 25 yrs old. I had an abnormal pap in Nov. then had the colpo with biopsy. It showed Mild dysplasia. so i had a LEEP in jan. the results came back fine. I just had my follow up pap in MAY and again i had an abnormal pap showing mild dysplasia. i'm going for the colpo on Monday. the nurse said that if it came down to it the Dr. may need to do another LEEP or he might not do anything. I'm nervous. Should i be freaking out so much? I really need some advice. Is it a bad thing that I had another abnormal pap? And that i may need another LEEP? i'm trying to be positive but its really hard.....

Closed Thread