It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #1

asunrun HB User
Post-Colposcopy/Biopsy Don'ts???

I am scheduled to have a colposcopy with biopsy done in a couple of weeks. I'm not nervous for the procedure, I'm just confused about what happens afterwards and what I can/can't do after the test is complete. I know I need time to heal, but I don't want to stop all my summer and everyday plans because of this.

First, is there anyone who uses the nuvaring and has had this test done? I know I will have to take out the ring for the test, but what happens after the test? Can I put it back in? Does anyone have personal experience with this? I don't want to mess up my b.c. because of this, as it'll only be my 2nd month ever on b.c. and I've had enough issues regulating things this month w/ breakthrough bleeding, etc.

Second, I had planned a scuba diving trip for the weekend right after this test before I even knew I had to have the procedure done. Obviously I won't be able to go then, but how long will I have to wait? Does this mean I enjoy my summer and go swimming at the beach/pool for a month?

Finally, I've heard mix things on how long one has to wait to have sex after the procedure is done. I've heard one week, two weeks, and I even heard they told someone four weeks. I can handle one or two weeks, but four weeks of this.

I know it is important to have this done, and I don't mean to sound like a whiner or complainer, but I don't want my normal life to have to come to a grinding halt because of this, especially in the summer months.

Any advice/experience/stories would help me out a lot!

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
(female)

Sugarhi16 HB User
Re: Post-Colposcopy/Biopsy Don'ts???

First off, I'm sorry that you have to go throught all of this. However, they are catching it early, and will be able to treat it asap! Now when you say colposcopy with biopsy, i'm assuming that you don't mean a cone biopsy (agressive treatment). So I'm going to go though your post and try to answer your questions for you:

I'm on the pill so I'm unsure about the ring, maybe someone else can help with that part? My Doctor said no sex, bath, swimming, tampons, etc for 24 hours afterwards. If I had to guess, I'd say that you wouldn't be able to put in back in till a day later, but again I'm not sure?

What day of the week is the proceedure? You may be able to go on your trip after all, but check with your Doctor. This proceedure is non agressive, it's to determine why you had an abnormal pap and what treatment is necessary. A treatment (leep, cone, laser, etc) is when you can't have sex, bath, swimming, and tampons for at least 4 weeks (depending on your Doctor).

As for my experience, when I had this done I took 2 advil before and relaxed afterwards. They just take a small sample to biopsy. It felt like a pinch when they took it, and the whole experience lasted no longer than a pap. It caused slight bleeding that lasted for a few days afterwards though. Nothing a pantyliner coulnd't take care of. Some people get cramps, but I didn't.

All of this is very hard to deal with, and it sounds like your trying your best to deal. It's difficult when you don't know what exactally is happening. After this proceedure you will know. I had my down days where I complained about it disrupting my life, but you will get through it. Once you are cured it's such a great feeling. I hope I was of some help to you. Post any more questions that you have. Goodluck

Old 05-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #3

asunrun HB User

Thank you so much for your response!! You were correct in assuming it is NOT a cone biopsy. They're just going to check things out after my pap smear came back as ASCUS. Reading some msg boards, learning about what this is from medical sites, and speaking with other individuals has put me a little more at ease. I am nervous about the procedure, but I'm going to take some advils before I get it done and then listen to my ipod to distract me while they're doing this. Your insight has really helped me out...I guess I just have to wait and see what the dr. says....Thanks, again!

Old 05-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
(female)

tpagm HB User

hello-
everything sugarhi said is correct. This is not an aggressive procedure so you should be fine to go on your trip. My doc told me no sex for a week and that is when I had the follow up. I am on birth control pills so I don't know much about the ring. I took two tylenols and was good to go during the procedure and as far as pain afterwards. The procedure for me was uncomfortable though....mainly because i hate going through this stuff and was not relaxed. You might not want to listen to your IPOD while it is going on cause my doc was giving me instructions as fas as telling to cough everytime she took a biospy sample and she had to make sure I wasn't feeling pain. So my doctor talked to me the whole time. After the procedure I did not have cramps and was able to go about my normal routines. I did have a funky discharge for about a week. It is the monsul solution they put it so don't be alarmed if you have a very weird discharge. The doc will probably tell you it will be like coffee grinds or stringy dark discharge. That is completely normal so don't worry about that. After my colposcopy I did have to go for a leep. hopefully you won't have to go that far.

Now is this your first abnormal pap?...because if anything your doctor should not be doing a colpo right away. The dr. normally should ask you to come back for a repap in three to six months to see if your body cured it.

Good luck with everything

Old 05-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
(female)

Lvnglf HB User

hey asunrun,

As a animal lover, including fish keeping, do me a favor?

While scuba diving, smile at the fish for me.

Enjoy your trip! (my pinky finger tells me you will go on this trip, and if not, the waters aren't going anywhere, right?)

Do keep up with follow up's, right?!

Take 'r eas.

(grinding my teeth full of jealousy -ah, scuba)

Old 05-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #6

asunrun HB User

Thanks everyone! I believe the reason they're doing the colposcopy is because I tested positive for HPV (the intermediate/high risk one), so they just want to make sure. I was concerned at first, because it is the only abnormal pap smear I've ever had, and I wasn't sure if it was necessary, but I think the combination of ASCUS and HPV was what made the dr. decide to do this.

PS-I will definitely say hi to the fish!!

Closed Thread