It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
Worried for my stepdaughter

Yesterday my stepdaughter saw her gyn and the doc said that the cervix looked 'unusual' and took a biopsy.

She has had both laser and cyro treatments to try and stop endrometriosis but to no avail. The gyn(not the same one who did the treatments) thinks it could just be the way the area has healed after those treatments. I think the first gyn was an idiot but that is just my impression since he was such a pompous pr1ck. The new one is female.

The daughter has been told that the biopsy report will take a couple of weeks!!

Is that long a time frame normal?

BTW the daughter is 26 today.

Would actual cancer be obvious? Is an 'unusual' looking cervix just a sign of precancerous condition?

The wife, daughter and I are all frightened needless to say.

Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by jaydees; 06-08-2005 at 08:04 PM.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User
Re: Worried for my stepdaughter

Could it be a possibility that your daughter has HPV?? Usually that affects the cervix but from the sounds of her problems it could be something else I just know that HPV is commonly assoicated with abnormal paps and greatly affects the cervix yes its normal for the biopsy to take a couple of weeks... Good Lucka nd Keep us posted

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

Thank you, Thank you for the reply we are do d'mn worried. Ok on the biopsy results.
Yes it could be HPV.

What is the normal course of treatment of HPV or of early stage cancer(not beyond the cervix)?

I know how everybody works together on the colon cancer forum here as I am a CC survivor and post there. Of course I have not been to this forum before. I hope that no one minds a guy coming here to ask questions.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User

There are a couple of different treatments for HPV... the treatment is based on the severity of the case if it is low grade sometimes they wont do anything at all but the most common treatment is the "Cryo" which is done similar to a pap smear but they use a machine and freeze the cervix for 3 minutes, let it "thaw" for 3 minutes then re freeze it again... Its not a painful procedure just not a comfortable one....which your daughter has already had anyway.... There are other procedures... like the Leep procedure which Im not real familiar with but you can find numerous posts on this board... Good Luck and Keep Us Posted

Old 05-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
(female)

kra HB User

HPV cannot be treated. Unfortunately they are only still working on a vaccine for it. What is treated are the cell abnormalities that are strongly associated with HPV. However, some women can supress the virus due to a strong immune system. For others, HPV can cause abnormal cell changes that need to be closely followed. Like justawondering said, if the dysplasia found in the cervix is low grade it can be treated by freezing the cells. Moderate and severe dysplasia are treated more aggressively.
I recently had a cold knife cone procedure due to severe dysplasia or CIN III. This procedure could be said to be the most aggressive one for treatment of dysplasia. It can also be treatment for microscopic invasive cancer. Keep in mind that cervical cancer is highly preventable and can be treated effectively.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User

SORRY....... What i meant by the post was the treatment for the cervix/ dysplasia... SORRY to confuse anyone....... it was late i was half asleep... the vaccine is supposed to be out by the end of this year...... GOod Luck and Soryy once again

Old 05-26-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

Thanks ladies. This is really distressing my wife. Her father died of throat cancer, her aunt of breast cancer, my mother and I have both had colon cancer and now this.

Both I and my daughter have looked at several sites about cervical cancer and HPV and many of them feed the distress. I may need to talk to those who have 'been there , done that' such as you. I know from my experience with CC that the people who have first hand experience can have insights and knowledge that never makes it into the websites or textbooks.

I know that my daughter has said that even the PAP tests give her cramps afterward so it seems she is sensitive there. I suppose she could expect a rough time with pain, cramps and bleeding if she needs more agressive treatments such as D&C, leep or cone procedure?

Old 05-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
(female)

kra HB User

jaydees,
I know these are very stressful times. The not knowing if it is going to be cancer or not can be torture. After being diagnosed with dysplasia I would spend hours and hours online trying to find encouraging statistics and stressing out about the "what if's". My biopsy came back as severe dysplasia and that was really terrifying. Thankfully the pathology report from the cone procedure came back with clear margins and it matched up the biopsy results -severe dysplasia and not cancer.
This was also my first surgery ever! so I was really scared. But honestly, I believe that the biopsy was 10x worse than the actual treatment. If she already went through that I would say that painwise, she's over the worst part of all this. Most importantly, she is getting treated on time and that's all that matters. Detection of cervical dysplasia is 100% treatable. Even early detection of cervical cancer has an excellent prognosis.
She is still very young though so the likelihood that this is cancer is very VERY slim. Although there are some exceptions, CC usually takes 10yrs to develop.
Have her other paps been normal?

Old 05-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

The few PAPs she had were normal but the last two, one the doctor moved and the test results were lost(guy was a jerk to former patients too in other ways) and the last one the doctor called to say that the test results had been lost by the lab!!! She went in for a repeat but never heard back, she assumed that that one was Ok.

You don't know what it means to me to see your posts. Your words are very calming. I knew in my brain that such was the case but my heart of course leaps to conclusions. I tell everyone on the Colon cancer board not to get ahead of the facts too much and here I am finding myself doing the same thing.

Anyway thanks for the replies. when I know more I'll post about it. Hopefully all will be well soon. Also if I have more questions I'll be back looking for advice.
Thanks
JD

Last edited by jaydees; 06-08-2005 at 08:06 PM.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:17 AM   #10

Vanosb HB User

I had a LEEP procedure about a month or so ago. It was my first surgery and I guess, I was a bit worried. But really, it wasn't a big deal at all. Abnormal pap, followed by biopsy... CIN 2-3 so they did the LEEP. The procedure was really nothing traumatic-- probably about 20 or so minutes. No real pain afterward (that I can recall). The only difficulty I had was navigating my insurance company's red tape

Old 05-31-2005, 09:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

Insurance won't be a problem. Ontario Health coverage would take care of it and what they don't my daughter's union health insurance will. The big problem might be loss of income for the wife and/or me since any procedures may have to take place in a hospital two hours drive from here. We are saving taking our holiday time until we know if we will need it for this.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi Jaydees...... finally caught up with you on a different board.

I thought I would add another thought. Has anyone mentioned cervical erosion/ectopy to her? This is a benign condition ..... not precancerous or cancerous.
It is whwere small patches of the columnar type cells on the bottom of cervix can spread down from the cervical canal onto the vaginal surface of the cervix. When this happens they appear as reddish-pink, raw looking areas on the neck of the womb which when some doctors see it may say "does not look good". It is treatable if symptoms are present and troublesome.

see ya round jaydees.
ktee

Old 06-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

That is interesting ktee The way you describe it is exactly what the first gyn said when he told her it was endometriosis.

Less than a week to go, hopefully, and the biopsy report will be in. At least then we will actually know something(again, hopefully).

Last edited by jaydees; 06-08-2005 at 08:11 PM.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:34 PM   #14

lobo1977 HB User

Just a note, please dont ever 'assume' tests are ok, and call and demand results no matter what - its totally unacceptable for anyone to just not call or 'lose' them. Im sure you know this but sometimes young women are so nervous or scared they just let it go. I know - I did this for years when I was younger and wish I hadnt!!!!! Good luck!

Old 06-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Justawondering HB User

Hey Jaydees I was just checking up and seeing if her results have came back yet and how shes doing.... Just making sure she is better... I think that its a possibility that she may have developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome from her high amounts of stress??? Its just a possibility.... Any way Keep us Posted....

Closed Thread