It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

cmedd HB User
Leep results came back with CIN III

I have read a lot of the mails about Leep and just wanted to ask a few questions to you all as I am very confused, nervous and anxious with what has just happened.

I have always had clear paps but 12 months ago I had one return with Ascus so I went back in 3 months and it came back normal. I then went back after 9 months and it is now high grade dysplasia. I have had a cervical biopsy and the results came back CIN II & III but my endocervical biopsy came back clear. Now I have had the LEEP which they removed 2.9 cm's of my cervix and the DR just called me with the results saying that they came back with the cervical portion as CIN III with minute portion left and now the endocervical biopsy is CIN I...she said she is confused with the results as the first portion they took came back CIN III, the second layer was clear the endocervical now came back with CIN I and she also took a higher up biopsy in the endocervical and that was clear.

She wants to see me in 3 weeks to see how I am healing then 2 months after that for a pap and another biopsy even before she gets the pap results back.

She also said that only 1.5% of people come back with a positive result after a Leep and that most people do not have to have a 2nd Leep.

I am very worried as I have never had children and do not want them, I am 42, very conscious of my health but am in a very stressful job....even though I don't want children I certainly don't want a hysterectomy and am very shy when it comes to Drs. Mine is a female and I would die if I ever had to talk or see a male Dr so this has been very hard and embarrassing for me...as I am sure it is with all of you.

What I am looking for is someone who has been through this and had the first Leep come back with a positive result. What happens, I hated the Biopsy...and who ever said they don't heart on all the web sites lied or had never had this done. I dread the idea of going through this all again and I am about to have a freak attack at the thought of it.

I read that I can take multi vitamins but is there anything else? Have you ever heard of having a positive result in a Leep then going back for your 3 month pap smear and having a clear result? OK...I am looking for a miracle but I am so nervous I don't know what else to look for.

HELP!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
(female)

Lvnglf HB User
Re: Leep results came back with CIN III

As most who read this post, I'm sorry you have to go through all this.

Here, still waiting for my results from leep for cin3.

From my understanding, there is a very small difference between cin 2-3 and on how they class abnormalities. In other words, the way I see it, "it's" either normal, abnormal or cancer. Confusion, big time for many of us.

Since you've been well educated on the importance of pap smears by going every year, I'd say, from what i've read, you caught this in time.

As far as the biopsy hurting, every women's experience is different, I do say, the punch and the leep, did not hurt me. Discomfort, yep. Embarrassing, oh yea. But painfull, nah. I'm really sorry to hear about your experience.

Besides the vitamins, stress. "They" say reducing stress helps.

What else to look for? to quote, here, I look for those little things that eases stress. (good music, bubble bath, quiet time, shopping, crafts ect.)

Welcome to the site cmedd. Stick around, keep us posted. You'll find really good support here.

Take 'r eas.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
(male)

Fairchild58 HB User

cmedd...i think 1.5% is a little low. It's more around 5-10% of women still have dysplasia after a LEEP...I know because i've had 3 LEEPS in 9 months! In my case it was CIN I-II and my doctor was convinced that when he did the first LEEP that i wouldn't have anything to worry about. However, during my first follow-up in January, I had more dysplasia but in a different area...it seems it was no visible at the time of the first LEEP. So I had a second LEEP in Feb. thinking this is finally over but it wasn't. So i switched doctors and since I want children the new doctor performed something similar to a LEEP but not quite. So far I have no recurrence. It looks like this is finally over. My HPV DNA and ThinPrep Pap will confirm this in July.

I don't think you're near having a hysterectomy. If the dysplasia is truly persistent over time and after several treatments then maybe it's an option, seeing also that you don't want children...but really it's a last resort. Unfortunately a biopsy wil never be as precise as a LEEP and our true diagnosis is only after a LEEP and a follow-up. I certainly hope for you that by the time you have your follow-up everything is cleared up. Hang in there

Old 06-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
(female)

cmedd HB User

Thank you for your comments, it is a shame doctors do not set up a support line like this. I am still really angry that this has happened to me and wish it was all over. If the Dr wants to do another leep do you think I should get another opinion? I am worried because she has already taken 2.9 cm away and a normal cervix is only 4 cm long. Do you know how much has been taken for yours?

Thanks again for your help

Old 06-02-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
(male)

Fairchild58 HB User

I think with the 3 procedures it was about 2-2.5 cm. I was lucky to have a good second doctor who decided he wanted to measure my cervix using a tiny wire-guided camera before a 3rd surgery and it turns out i was born with a cervix slightly longer than average. The 3rd surgery was actually to remove moon shaped pieces on each side of the cervix (on the width) rather than in length and it seems to have worked.

It never hurts to get a second opinion. It would definitely help you make an informed decision. I've learned from this experience (by consulting 3 doctors) that each one may see things differently and have different theories about HPV. I went with my gutt feeling and decided to have a 3rd surgery and i'm glad I did and i believe i chose the right doc. He's very interested in listening to me and hearing my opinion and he respects the fact that i researched a lot on my own. It makes discussing my case much easier for him. That's what i was looking for in a doctor...not just someone who will tell me what i need to do.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
(female)

ktdid HB User

hello, i agree with what fairchild says, i think that percentage is higher, i also had 3 procedures done in one year. i always had clear paps , then in 2004 april had cin III, had a leep, three months later same , had another leep, three months later same again, so i had a cold knife conization done at the end of april this year. i will go back at the beginning of august for re pap and colposcopy. my doctor said that most cases with leep, even if there are positive margins, usually the cauterization takes care of the rest, but in my case, it didn't , twice.. she said that she thought my strain of hpv was just more aggressive, so that's why i did the cold knife, and that came back with clear margins. now i just hope my next pap is clear. has anyone ever had a cold knife with clear margins, and repap still showed cin iii?? thanks,
good luck

Old 06-02-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
(female)

cmedd HB User

Hi Ktdid - thanks for your reply and I really want to say how all your informaiton is making me feel not "the only one" or some kind of freak. You guys are the best. I did have another question though...is there any reason the DRs seem to be doing 2 LEEPs then the Cone? Is it becuase there is not enough cervix left? That is one of my big worried that my DR took so much in the first Leep.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:28 AM   #8

lobo1977 HB User

The cone is a more invasive surgery w/ slightly more issues healing, post op etc - but still a very low probability of anything going wrong, just a bit more 'advanced'. most dr's reserve that for earliest stages of cancer or patients with a positive ECC.

Also I wanted to note that a LOt of this is mental/emotional. If you go in tense, focusing on the embarassment, and mentally freaking then it makes everything worse . OF course we're all nervous, thats normal. But these doctors do this for a LIVINg.. they see 20 women a day, many with MUCH more gross and weird things - this is VERyyyyy common and they have seen so many patients with hpv/dysplasia its nothing to them. Find a kind and caring woman doctor and try to just relax and look at her as just another woman, someone helping and not as an 'embarassment' - I chat with my doctor and ask questions and it has helped so much , just being ok and comfortable with her, and knowing that she's there to help and theres NOTHING to be embarassed about.

Also, breathe deeply, relax all your muscles and your whole body, and focus on something in the room or ceiling...think happy thoughts, about something totally random, and tell yourself you are getting this fixed, you will be ok , etc etc. If you arent tense and worried, you will be much more comfortable. Yes, it might hurt a bit now an then but the acutal time for the biopsy is so short- I have had 6 in my life and each is a 'pinch' and the minute I think "OW" its over.

Also if something is not right ( speculum not in correctly, something is pushing the wrong way) TELL the dr, and ask to start over. Speak up, they are there to help you not hurt you. Sometimes bringing someone in to hold your hand or be with you helps, other times that might make it worse.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
(female)

Kelzilla HB User

first off, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through all this. Secondly, I understand your reasoning for not wanting to go through all this continually. I'm one of the few (I gather) people who find that colposcopy w/biopsy extremely painful. I have problems having a normal PAP so anything more than that is a nightmare for me. I had a biopsy done recently and it came back CIN II. After the biopsy, my doctor said that if it came back positive again we'd have to think about other options, simply because every time I'd have a biopsy done, it'd be more painful. This time they made me stay for 15 minutes after the biopsy because I was close to fainting.

I don't want anymore children, so the only other option really is hysterectomy for me. I don't recommend it for anyone who isn't absolutely positive that its the right thing to do for them. Me, I can't deal with the pain of everything going on down there anymore.

I hope everything goes well for you.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
(female)

cmedd HB User

I also have a lot of discomfort having a pap smear so it is calming to hear somone else that felt a lot of discomfort. The Dr also has problems "prying" open my knees....I just can't relax . I go back to my Dr on June the 24th just so she can see how I am healing then another 2 months wait to get the first Pap. I am trying to think 100% positive that I can turn this around and fight what little CIN III I have left and am taking all the vitimans and minerals everyone is telling me to take...along with walking away from stress - which is confusing the people in the meetings I attend. We are also getting a puppy so I will be spending some quality time with him and my husband. All I can say is that I am trying everything possible to "not go uner the knife - or whatever it is" again. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by cmedd; 06-06-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Closed Thread