It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

88Shadow HB User
Using vitamins and minerals to reverse dysplasia

I've had a history of paps showing Ascus and biopsies showing mild dysplasia. I have also been diagnosed with one of the high risk strains of HPV. I finally found a doctor who wanted me to actually try something instead of just the horrible "wait and see" when we do a follow up pap. She put me on a protocol of 25,000 i.u. Vitamin A and Cerviplex (which is 400 mg. Indole-3-Carbinol) once a day. I was also on 5 mg of Folic Acid two times a day (for a total of 10 mgs a day - need a prescription for this!) and 500 mg. Vitamin C two times a day (for a total of 1000 mg). She also had me switch to natural cotton tampons and for seven days while not on my period, I put the liquid from a Vit. A capsule on the end of the tampon and stuck it up next to my cervix. This protocol is for 90 days. I just had my follow up pap and it was normal!!! She's going to follow up in three months to stay on top of things. My doc told me she had put someone with severe dysplasia on this protocol and it got her back to normal as well and she's had a 90 percent success rate with this. I don't think there have been a ton of studies but I've found a few confirming at least some of these vitamins and minerals do help. I wanted to share with you all that you should talk to your doctor about trying this! I can't guarantee that my cervix wouldn't have overcome the dysplasia on it's own but it made me feel better that I was "doing" something to help increase my immune systems chance at fighting it. Just had to share!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
(female)

cantturnback HB User
Re: Using vitamins and minerals to reverse dysplasia

I love the fact you posted this, now i want to try it im going to talk to my doctor about these vitamins, I was thinking about trying a more natural way of fighting these abnormal paps, too thank you

Old 06-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
(female)

88Shadow HB User

You're welcome! I promised my doc that if this worked for me I'd try to get the word out about alternative therapies. I've checked another organization that does research into all this (Life Extension) and in their health book they refer to many of these same supplements when it comes to reversing dysplasia. I think this will be a life-long battle for those of us who are HPV positive and from the research I've done, keeping your immune system strong is THE best thing you can do. If you smoke, STOP. Eat right, exercise, take the vitamins and minerals that help boost immunity.

Best of luck to you. I hope this works for you!

Old 06-18-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ladivapr02 HB User

That is what i could call a good doctor. I don't think I would suggest my doctor about it because it is my experience that doctors don't seem to like patients teaching them about stuff that works. It makes them look like they don't know a whole lot. I have personally researched on the topic and I have readed that the only thing that has a definite impact is folic acid supplementation however i have readed that it has only being beneficial to those who are on the Pill. (Being said that the Pill deplete the folic acid). I have heard of the Vit A but that there is no conclusive evidence that it does anything. ( I personally for one cannt take vit A supplementation as I took accutane, vit A supplements would be very bad for my system) I would like to say this Vit A supplementation should be in the form of beta carotene not in the retinyl palmitate beware everybody. (that's why accutane is such a harmful drug) Vit A is bad in high dose it is proven. Retinyl Palmitate is fat soluble where beta carotene is water soluble so its better beta carotene as the body would flush the extra. More over if you just eat carrots there you have all the Vit A that you need. Regarding folic acid beware everybody that folic acid does require to take B-12 too and you should be careful overdosing this supplement too. I personally taking 800 mcg of folic acid which is pregancy strenght folic acid supplementation and looking forward next pap and see if it helped. I'm curiouse of that cerviplex stuff. I have never heard of that one. Tell us more about it.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:49 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ladivapr02 HB User

Okay i got curious about the cervaplexx stuff and found interesting information. It seems what the cervaplexx stuff helps with the metabolism of estrogen. Now what I'm curious to know is if this stuff have any interactions with the Pill. Do you know 88shawdow about this? Are you on the Pill too?

Old 06-19-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
(female)

88Shadow HB User
Exclamation Re: Using vitamins and minerals to reverse dysplasia

Cervaplexx is a dietary supplement by Pharmogenex. It is simply 400 mg of Indole-3-Carbional which is the good stuff you also get from brocolli and other leafy green vegetables. This compound has been shown to help with cervical health and the avoidance of many cancers as well. There are other brands of Indole-3-Carbinal - any of them are probably fine. I'm not on the pill and from what I've read, being on that can increase cervical cancer risk so I'd try to find another form of b.c. if possible. Also - I was on a very high dose of folic acid. Not mcg but mg's! I was on 10 mgs per day - so it was prescription only and even then the pharmicist wanted to talk to my doctor. Yes, the vitamin A and the folic acid need to be watched and that's why you want your doctor on your side and involved in your treatment. If you suggest this treatment to your doctor and they don't like your suggestions - FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR! There is no reason to have invasive procedures done if you can use vitamins and minerals to accomplish the reversal of dysplasia!!!

Old 06-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ladivapr02 HB User

interesting..

How long was that high folic acid regimen? I personally wouldn't overdose the folic acid not even with a doctor consent. But I'm traumatized cause I took accutane (which is an overdose of vit A sort of) and after seeing first hand what it can do (like my bowels which have never been the same again) I have promised the good lord that I will never overdose a vitamin ever again not even for a short period of time. As far as Im concerned overdosing the B vitamins is dangerous. (I did overdosed the B5 before accutane because that one is water soluble and still i had to stop cause it blowed up my stomach) 800mcg of folic acid is the mandated amount for pregnant woman. If folic acid will do something to your body it will do at that strenght.

You are right about the pill and that is my only hope that the folic acid im taking will help prevent what damage the pill can do. I wished I could use other way of birth control but my bf doesnt seem to be fan of condoms (and neither am I)but even if he uses them i cann't risk with only condoms so what else can i do?

I totally agree you, Im a great fan of looking for a reversal without going under the knife and Im very glad you have posted about this

Old 06-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
(female)

shera4 HB User

Hey there - I am in the waiting period between an abnormal PAP and my 2nd colposcopy. I had an abnormal PAP 5 years ago, then not again til one year ago (CIN-I). I had my 1st colposcopy and 6 months later, my PAP was normal. Six months after that, its abnormal again (SIL/ASCUS). I have my 2nd colposcopy in 2 weeks but I'm trying to get myself in a healthier place and hopefully that will help too. I've been exercising more, I don't smoke, rarely drink, I'm taking a multi-vitamin (Centrum?). I'd also like to switch to cotton tampons. Where do you get these? I've seen them on-line (Natracare) but would be easier if they were available at a regular drugstore. I'm not so sure I want to use tampons with vitamins the tip when I don't have my period - I'm going to ask my doctor about this.
As for the vitamins and supplements, do any of these mess up birth control pills? I don't want to take bad combinations of anything and cause other problems. I also have completely unrelated digestive problems that I don't want to flare up. I've been on birth control for 12 years non-stop, which probably isn't helping but the one time I tried to get off of them was the worst month of my life - horrible period, crazy moods, just felt sick during my period, so much pain...these were the reasons I started taking them and now I don't think I can stop taking them! I'd love to get more healthy and fight whats going on in my body instead of sitting and waiting for test results every few months.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:28 AM   #9
(female)

88Shadow HB User

You DEFINITELY need to find a doctor to guide you through this. You can't even get the high dose of folic acid without a prescription. Your doctor should be able to guide you through whether the BC pills are causing problems and perhaps check your hormone levels. Natural hormone replacement (NOT the stuff the pharmacutical companies sell!) may help with your periods but that's something your doctor could tell you. I would look for a doctor who knows about natural hormone replacement because they would be more likely to know about natural ways to treat cervical dysplasia. I am not recommending anyone try anything without their doctor behind them! The natural cotton tampons I found at a health food store called Vitamin Cottage. Just call around to various stores. I didn't realize the commercial ones had bleach in them and there are pesticides used on the cotton that go into them. Natural ones are more expensive though.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:41 AM   #10
(female)

shera4 HB User

Hi there. I had my second colposcopy yesterday. The doctor took 2 biopsies, but said that my cervix looked 'boring' which is good. One biopsy was taken inside the canal (ECC?) where she couldn't see and the other was for a small white spot she saw. Last year I had 3 biopsies so hopefully its getting better? Results in a week. Wish me luck.
I took the opportunity to grill the doctor on what I can do inbetween PAPs/procedures instead of just waiting and doing nothing. She said that all I can really do is take good care of myself and boost my immune system. She recommended this vitamin complex - its called Immune Guardian, but I think you have to order it on-line. I took the pamphlet on it to a Natural Healthfood store and found one exactly like it, if not better. Its called Wellness formula by Source Naturals. The man there said that these are better than your Centrum type multivitamins because the Centrum type are chemically processed and you really aren't getting the vitamins you need. These Wellness formula pills has a funky odor to them, but its ok. It makes it seem more natural!! They are loaded with vitamins and herbs. You need to take one pill 3 times a day. My doctor said that boosting my immune system with vitamins may not work - that I could be the healthiest person from now on and I might still have dysplasia. But its worth a shot and its better than doing nothing.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:56 AM   #11
(female)

88Shadow HB User

Just thought I'd update this thread. After my original post I had another follow up pap three months later. It came back ASCUS. I'm back on the vitamin and mineral regimen per my doctor (high dose folic acid, cerviplex, and vitamin A) and will have another follow up pap in January. I'll post the results then. My doctor said she's hoping that through two courses of boosting my immune system that my body will be able to fight off the cellular changes but there's no guarantee. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #12
(female)

88Shadow HB User

Duckeeduck:

I just had my follow up Pap last Wednesday and should get the results this week sometime (fingers crossed). If it's anything other than normal, my doc said I have to go back for another colposcopy which I would want to do anyway just to be sure what's going on. I guess there's no way to know if the last time that I did this regimen and my next pap was normal if it would have been normal even if I'd done nothing. Who knows, maybe my body would have fought off the virus on its own. But I'm not the kind of person who can stand to do nothing. LOL. When my doctor offered me this regimen, I jumped at the chance. I figured it certainly couldn't hurt. I agree that medical doctors often ignore natural therapies that have been proven through studies to actually work. I just got lucky to find a doctor who is open to this stuff. She also prescribes natural hormone replacement rather than the pharmaceutical stuff which is so bad for you. I'll let you all know what happens with my results.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #13
(female)

duckeeduck HB User

It definitely feels better when your doctor offers you options - your doctor sounds great! I'm the same way you are - I can't just sit around and do nothing! I had no issues with dysplasia prior to this one so I was only having paps every two years (after having consecutive normal paps annually for a while) - I don't know if this case came on hard and fast or if it progressively got worse over time - I've had a VERY stressful past two years, and I know that stress can play a major role, since all the evidence points to the HPV in the system wreaking havoc when your immune system is low and stress being one of the [many] major factors in your immune system strength. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences - it really helps to know there are women in the same situation as me who feel the way I do!

Old 01-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
(female)

88Shadow HB User

I know stress is supposed to make things worse and I'm a bit worried that even with this regimen, my pap won't be normal. My sister was recently diagnosed with terminal liver cancer and a week ago they told us she only has weeks left to live. I had to move her into my home yesterday because she was so confused she wasn't taking her meds and today she is completely delirious. She's under hospice care but it is all very, very stressful. My kids are taking it better than I am. <sigh> I'm afraid if they call with an abnormal pap result, I might just fall apart as I just don't need that right now! Then again, having my sister dying has put my own health problems in perspective. Cervical dysplasia is not the worst thing that can happen to us!

Old 01-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #15
(female)

duckeeduck HB User

Shadow, I am so sorry to hear that. Please know I have been in a similar situation and my heart goes out to you and your family. You are so strong to do all you're doing. And I know in situations like that it's so easy to let all cares for yourself go because you're so overwhelmed with everything else. I do have confidence that the regimen your doctor is putting you on will work - the folic acid especially is helpful to your body dealing with stress and 10mg is DEFINITELY a therapeutic amount. Another effective thing is to practice Yoga, Tai Chi, Meditation - any of the things that help you deal with stress. Maybe since you're so busy and might not take yoga or tai chi already, you could get a DVD or audio program for meditation. Just that small time out of your day to calm and center yourself is so important for your body. Please believe me - I come from a family that I truly believe had a tendency to make themselves sick from stress. I can tell you all about it later, but I don't want to muck up the board with all that right now. But with my case of dysplasia, I'm realizing that I need to take a real hand in taking better care of myself when it comes to stress too, or I'll be prone to stress-related health issues as well! Anyway, please know I'm here for you, even though I just found this board! I've subscribed to this topic so I'll know whenever someone posts.

Last edited by duckeeduck; 01-16-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Closed Thread