It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
(female)

cincbcat HB User
Question Cervical Dysplasia-Third abnormal pap

I am new here, but I am hoping someone somewhere out there can offer advice for my situation. I had my first abnormal pap smear a year ago this July, followed by a colposcopy which showed HGSIL, followed by a LEEP. I repeated this entire process four months later because of the same diagnosis. I just found out last week that my last pap smear done on 6/15 was also abnormal, so I am scheduled for another colpo on 7/8. I have read everything out there about HPV and dysplasia. My concern/question is: It looks like I will need a third LEEP, but my Dr. told me he has never done three on one woman before. I am 27, I do not have children, and right now my only concern is myself. This dyplasia just keeps coming back, and it's severe, and I can't find any information on what other options there are besides a partial hysterectomy. Even though I do not have kids, given the situation with the recurrent HGSIL, is partial hysterectomy way off base as a cure for this? I don't know if I am jumping the gun, but I can tell you that my life has been on hold for the past year because of the numerous tests/doctor visits/procedures. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-02-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User
Re: Cervical Dysplasia-Third abnormal pap

I had dysplasia too. My DR did Laser on mine and it never came back. Have you had that done too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
(female)

cincbcat HB User

My Dr. hasn't done laser, and I've asked about it but he assured me that LEEP was the most effective method for removing dysplasia. My margins have been clear each time he's done the LEEP, and the dysplasia has reappeared in different spots each time too.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
(female)

bocaj95 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincbcat
I am new here, but I am hoping someone somewhere out there can offer advice for my situation. I had my first abnormal pap smear a year ago this July, followed by a colposcopy which showed HGSIL, followed by a LEEP. I repeated this entire process four months later because of the same diagnosis. I just found out last week that my last pap smear done on 6/15 was also abnormal, so I am scheduled for another colpo on 7/8. I have read everything out there about HPV and dysplasia. My concern/question is: It looks like I will need a third LEEP, but my Dr. told me he has never done three on one woman before. I am 27, I do not have children, and right now my only concern is myself. This dyplasia just keeps coming back, and it's severe, and I can't find any information on what other options there are besides a partial hysterectomy. Even though I do not have kids, given the situation with the recurrent HGSIL, is partial hysterectomy way off base as a cure for this? I don't know if I am jumping the gun, but I can tell you that my life has been on hold for the past year because of the numerous tests/doctor visits/procedures. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
(female)

bocaj95 HB User

I did something wrong with replying your message. Also appologizes for my english (i´m dutch).
I have to do a lletz or loop next monday for my CIN III, first i thought I had to do a conisation. So I search the www for information. And I found out that it depends how deep the dysplasia is. After some telephone calls with an academic hospital I found out that they start (in the netherlands) with a loop/lletz. A cold cone is not from our time anymore, in case of a conisation they prefer a laser cone treatment.
I also read that the time between your last smear and a colposcope have to be 4 or 5 weeks. Between a loop-lletz treatment and another test smear 3 months is standard but most of the hospitals will do it after 4 months. In case of false negative or positive.

I will asked next monday for a HPV test and an extra sample from by glandular cells. And (you always get very emotional when you are in our position) I want a MRI scan.

When my treatment has succeeded, i will open a bottle champagne and buy myself a new outfit (very expensive i think).

The positive thing among us is that we will be tested on and on. Not nice. But a lot of people in the world cannot be tested for other cancers if they are not feeling anything.

11th of July is my treatment, then I have to wait I think for 10 days. So the 21st I will now more.
I smoke at this moment, trying to do it less often and started with vitamin C and beta-caroteen (natural). The synthetic one is not good when you are smoking. I know what you think. stop smoking. I will! But I read a lot of pages that it is good for mild dysplasia. And it will not harm you. I would say: You have no, Yes.. you can get. (maybe a bad translation).

Old 07-06-2005, 03:02 AM   #6
(female)

Lola13 HB User

I have been doing reserach on laser treatment for my dysplasia (i have two cervical lesions, one which is CIN1 and the other CIN2). Many sources have mentioned the high expense which is not an issue for me, but I would like to know what your side effects after the treatment was done. Was there enough discharge that you had to wear a pad for 2-3 weeks and could not have sex for over a month? Anything you could tell me about your experiance would be greatly appreciated as i am very scared and really do not know how to handle this right now, especially as a 24 year old girl who does not want to put her fertility at risk through possible scarring or stenosis. Thank you so much for your time and help.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:31 AM   #7
(female)

cincbcat HB User

Lola,
I'm not sure to whom you are replying, but I have not had the laser procedure done. I've only had 2 LEEP's, but am facing more treatment after I find out the results of my next colpo on Friday. If I can be a sounding board for you I'll be more than happy.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User

When I had the laser done it was a fairly new procedure at our hospital. The gyno who did it said he was actaully doing it for the 14 time on me. Anyway, he must have been good because it worked.
They put you in the stirrups and drape a gown as usual. Then the area was frozen. I remember a nurse standing beside all the time asking if I was OK> I was not dopy or anything like that though. I was fine. I can see how some women could be a bit uneasy though.

There is a chance of a bleed, but that did not happen to me. After the procedure I waited in a reclining chair with juice and cookies for 1/2 hour. That is to make sure there is no bleeding.
Yes , you will be wearing a pad. There is a discharge for about 3 weeks. I was told the 13th day was critical because that is when the scabbing breaks away and you could have another bleed. Did not happen to me.
But on the 15th day I justed to bleed---not realizing that was my period---I was a bit scared. But all was OK>

You will need the pad for 3 to 4 weeks. NO SEX at least until you see the gyno again. In my case that was 6 weeks later. Just like when you have a baby. Things could be a bit different in your area. I had mine done a few years ago. There is a bit of cramping but nothing unbearable. I actaully drove myself there and home. Although legs were a bit shaky for a while walking to car.
After I thought about it, and had it done, I realized it was really no big deal.

I know some women who have had it done say they really had bad cramps for a couple days.

Good luck with yours and let us know how it all goes.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:34 PM   #9

lobo1977 HB User

I had a laser and leep done together. Went well, i was under, and just had my 5 month post pap today. The laser is great for a large area of abnormal cells, that a leep can't get to and it is very precise / takes out the least amount of cervix which is great. However, the laser doesnt really work with the canal / ecc area, and doesn't go as deep as the leep/cone's. So thats why I had the leep with it for the center, and the laser for the outer areas.
I think this is a great combo, if you have that type of dysplasia, if its just a small area and/or in the center, then a leep cone would be best, but if its on the outer area or a larger area - laser works best.

Hope this helps! It is really expensive (almst 10k for the entire leep/laser/hospital/dr charge) but insurance covered everything but a few hundred

Closed Thread