It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
(female)

swtevnbrz HB User
Post menopause problems

Hi Ladies,

I have been having a good deal of medical issues lately and I need some other womens thoughts. I will have to start at the beginning for you to get the picture clearly. At the end of May I ran a fever of 102 for 3 days, had very large swollen lymph nodes in my neck, the left side so large it could be seen across the room. Minimal sore throat and very bad joint pain. It went away in 4 days or so with no medication, except ibuprofen. During the month of June, I developed a thick vaginal discharge that progressed from white to yellowish green. Along with this I have pain in the area of my ovaries, and a terrible lower back pain. I have not had a period in 4 years and consider myself post menopause. I am 51 years old.Then in the last week I developed almost overnight a cough, with fever. My first thoughts are " boy is my immune system out of whack. My internist put me on Levoquin for 7 days and it seems the vaginal discharge is clearing up. I have an appointment with my gyno on Thursday this week. Now my question is , does it seem like I could have another problem going on, such as cervical or ovarian cancer ? I have had some minor bleeding after sex, no pain really. Every thing is vague and that is what I fear. Anyone care to chime in on this ?

Thanks,
Lori

Old 07-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Post menopause problems

I am post menopause as well. It is a good thing to check with your gyn. You could have had multiple issues going on such as a virus and a vaginal infection. The bleeding could be localized due to low estrogen which can be fixed with an estrogen cream for application to irritated tissue. Or the bleeding could be something more significant. That is what the Gyn can tell you with examination, ultrasound if necessary or biopsy if necessary. Hopefully you have a very temporary problem that can be fixed with the estrogen cream.

Last edited by Merimac; 07-04-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
(female)

swtevnbrz HB User
Re: Post menopause problems...followup

I was at the gyno yesterday. After examination she decided to get a transvaginal ultrasound . It was found I have an ovarian cyst. She made light of the cyst, saying it was small. I am 4 years postmenopausal. I thought it was unusual for cysts to form after menopause and if they do, they are suspect. She did some blood work after to check for hormone levels and also a CA125. Doctor did say " I don't think you have ovarian cancer, but lets do these blood tests". She also set me up for an appointment with a surgeon regarding possible chronic appendicitis. This sounds way off base to me, but what do I know. I am waiting for the test results and trying not to think too much about it. I was scheduled for a followup ultrasound in September.

What do you all think ?

Thanks,
Lori

Old 07-11-2005, 02:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Re: Post menopause problems

I don't think any doctor should make light of an ovarian cyst. Wondering if cysts can still form after menopause is a valid question. Did the doctor explain what the vaginal discharge was and the reason for the swollen lymph nodes and fever? Ovarian cancer has no obvious symptoms, not to say that is what it is. Once your test results are back, I'd find out if there are any other tests you could take, like a Pet/CT scan, to make sure the "cyst" isn't cancerous. Ultrasound only shows images of a mass. The only way to know for sure, is through a biopsy, which requires surgery. Appendicitis?? Are you having sharp pain, in the right lower part of your pelvis? Still doesn't explain your vaginal discharge....

Closed Thread