It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
(female)

Godschild2 HB User
Question Cervical cancer symptoms? -Someone please answer

Hi, I am 32 y/o tomorrow. No pap smear in 14 years. I was a victim of sexual abuse, along with other issues. But, I am kicking myself for avoiding it for so long.
I went to planned parenthood and got a pap smear on Tuesday, 9/13/05. I was very nervous.
The clinician did a BE, Speculum exam, pap smear, and a bimanual exam. No rectal exam
My question is if she had seen or felt something abnormal during the speculum exam and bimanual exam, would she have said something then? or would she wait 2-3 weeks until pap results come back to tell me everything?
My hubby says that if she had seen or felt something abnormal, whether I was nervous or not, she would have told me then.
After the exam, the clinician just said, "ok, you made it through another exam." She knew I was nervous. I did not tell her how many years it had been.

My next question is : "Would the cervix look normal if someone is afflicted with Stage 4 cervical cancer? Would the pelvic exam appear normal? I am obese and I read that the pelvic exam is much more accurate in smaller people.
I also read that by the time cervical cancer bleeding or is advanced, then it is usually visible just by looking at the cervix during speculum exam.

I did not bleed right after the pap, but did spot one time 2 days later. Is this normal?? I have to wait 2-3 weeks for my results. Needless to say, it's about all I can think about, although I am trying to change this way of thinking.

My periods (actual blood days) are pretty much normal as far as length (I actually bleed a little less than I used to); although my cycles will fluctuate once in a while (I average around 32 days from the start of one period to the start of the next.)

Background on symptoms:
8/13/05 1 blood spot after urinating once, my period came 08/24/05 was normal, I did have some lower back pain during my period

On 9/1/05, was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection. given antibiotics, cleared up..but now 2 days later, I still have urinary frequency, although the urine looks normal.

Also, for the last couple of weeks I have had several episodes of rectal bleeding with bowel movement.
I know that urinary and bowel symptoms can be symptoms of advanced disease.
I did not tell my clinician about my symptoms, mainly because I figured the Urinary tract infection was just that and on the day I saw her, I was urinating fine.
Also, I figured the day of spotting was me ovulating. I'll be more open next time.

Please answer.
God bless all of you and your families

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
(female)

Lvnglf HB User
Re: Cervical cancer symptoms? -Someone please answer

I don't know about the rest, but, I agree with your hubby in your first paragraph.

Just to help bring some ease, hopefully.

I'm 30-only had 2 pap's in my life once in grade nine and once last year to which turned out I had cin 3. No big deal had a leep cone procedure.
My periods have never been regular. I figure mainly since i've never been on the pill. But, i've had times of constant bleeding for almost 2 months-nothing heavy, but for sure always wearing pads as it was indeed blood. Point is, I am healthy, I am just one who is not regular that's all.

We are not all by the book, and our stress does have an impact on "things". I'm sorry you have to deal with all the poking but please keep up with your doc's app.

Take care of yourself.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi GodsChild2,

You need to go to a Gastroenterologist Dr. Because you have rectal bleeding, or blood in your stool, you need to make sure that your gastro-intestinal system is ok. He/she will tell you if you are ok, or if they need to check further with a lower endoscopy/colonoscopy.

Of course the rectal bleeding could just be hemmoroids. And you may just have endometriosis - which a lot of women live with. Just try to keep busy and do not worry. I know it is hard.

Take care. Love, Wannabe

Old 09-17-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Godschild- cervical cancer isn't noticable to the human eye unless there are other causes. such as genital warts on the cervix, or close to. the only way the dr can detect it is to get your pap results back. And an abnormal pap is not necesarily cervical cancer.
Amy

Old 09-18-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I have to reinforce that you MUST get your yearly paps as well as mammograms...it is sooo important. These are precautions for you and if something is found, you catch it at an early stage. So, PLEASE start doing this for yourself and ease of mind. It usually takes about a wekk for my doc to send me a card in the mail saying my pap was normal. Always tell your doctor everything. That helps them help you. You should have told your doc how long it's been since you had a pap.....I am sure all is well....but in the future, make your appointment the day you leave the office and you won't have to think about it for another year....when is the last time you have had a mammogram???

Old 09-18-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
(female)

retiredusmcwife HB User

My next question is : "Would the cervix look normal if someone is afflicted with Stage 4 cervical cancer? Would the pelvic exam appear normal? I am obese and I read that the pelvic exam is much more accurate in smaller people.

I had stage 5 back in 1991, first I got a pap smear and I got a call within 3 days to come in for a biopsy, went in did that, within a week got a call to come in and talk (scared me)... Doc told me I got stg 5 and wanted to give me a Hysterectomy, I went for the Lazer Surgery, did that, they took out 90% of the cervix... good thing I did the Lazer, we didn't know it, but I was 3 weeks prego, they didn't even do a blood test for that before the surgery? Everything went fine... I am cancer free, I get checked every 6 months for re-growth, nothing came back... .... But anyways, I had no symptoms before finding out... the pap smear alerts the Doc to have the 2nd step ... my problem and stupidty was waiting 4 years to get the biopsy done because I was scared... I did not want to deal with any bad news... Get it done and always get a pap smear and listen to the Doc, but at the same time talk to people like us who know about it... I listened to my mother-in-law and she said not to get the Hyster, she saved my 13 year old daughter....

Bless you and hang in there.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:41 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bmommy
Godschild- cervical cancer isn't noticable to the human eye unless there are other causes.
What do you mean by that comment? I don't really understand.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 AM   #8
(female)

Godschild2 HB User

Thanks so much for your replies.

When I said Stage 4, I was talking about advanced Stage 4, not the pap smear classification.
I was wondering would advanced stage 4 show a normal cervix w/ no lesions, and no cervical motion tenderness.
I still haven't gotten my pap results back, but my apparently looked fine during the speculum exam. The clinician did not note anything about my cervix on the form other than "no cervical motion tenderness."
I am praying that my urinary symptoms ( sort of like a urinary tract infection) and occassional rectal bleeding are not related cervical cancer.
I am going to check out the rectal situation this week.

Those of you who know the words of prayer, please pray that I do not have cancer.

Thank you and God Bless You All

Old 09-20-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu82
What do you mean by that comment? I don't really understand.

Malibu- I finished my statement a little bit farther into my post. Like genital warts for example. Genital warts on the cervix more times that not mean you have cervical cancer. that's statistically and scientifically proven. Many pamphlets and advice from many dr.s later.. And of course, genital warts are caused by HPV. The cell dysplasia caused by a certain strain of HPV is number one cause of cervical cancer

Old 09-20-2005, 06:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godschild2
Thanks so much for your replies.

When I said Stage 4, I was talking about advanced Stage 4, not the pap smear classification.
I was wondering would advanced stage 4 show a normal cervix w/ no lesions, and no cervical motion tenderness.
I would think if you have advanced Stage 4 cervical cancer, there will be something seen on the cervix. If you do a search for cervical cancer photos online, you can probably get some more information.

If you are talking about cervical dysplasia/pre-cancer Stage 4 (now known as carcinoma in situ), no, you most likely would not see this on a visual exam unless you were given an acidic solution wash, and even then I would think you would need a colposcopy to identify it.

Closed Thread