It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #1

Marcy1 HB User
stage5 cervical cancer

I need some answers== my sister-inlaw was just diagnosed with this . They stopped surgery about an hour into it and did not take anything out..it has not spread to her lungs yet.We were told that without chemo she would live for about 4-6 months but never gave an answer to how long she may have with it....what can we possible do for her and can someone explain why they wounldn't even try to remove the tumors

Old 09-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #2

Marcy1 HB User
Re: stage5 cervical cancer

Thanks for the response====

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

I'm so sorry your sister in law is having to go through this. I am confused by the Stage 5, as I was under the impression there are only 4 stages of invasive cancer. You will have to have a pathology report or a gynecologist oncologist give the staging. You can do a search online regarding cervical cancer staging for more information. There is also good information regarding treatments. Sometimes the tumors are not removed because they are too large and therefore, it is better to treat them with radiation and chemo to shrink them.

Do everything you can to be supportive to your sister in law. Try not to pity her, and allow her to have pity days and talk about this. I always hated to hear that everything would be okay (and I am in no where near the situation your sil is), I preferred people to be empathetic and just listen.

I will keep your sister in law in my thoughts.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:00 AM   #4

Marcy1 HB User

Karen, Thank you soooooo much to take the time to respond to me!!! It means alot!!! I too was confused by the stage 5 but thats what we've been told; the only thing I have found is that there is a 10% survival rate as not only the female reproductive is affected but the bladder, rectum, bowels etc. are already affected..Its just a sad sad thing for she is one of the few great women in our lives . Her doctor wants her to make a decision by tomorrow (one week since surgery) about experimental chemo...we will support her in any decision she makes...I just wished she didn't have to make these decisions or anyone else for that matter!!Again Karen thank you so much for your thoughts!!!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well
Marcy

Old 09-22-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

((marcy)) Lots of thoughts, strength and prayers coming your way to your sil and all your family.

Karen

Old 09-26-2005, 09:07 AM   #6

Marcy1 HB User

Karen, I just thought I would tell you that my sister-inlaw will try the experimental chemo on Fri. , I have no clue as to what "type" but she told my husband that it would take about five hrs. to complete on an outpatient basis. and then I think she said that in three weeks she would go back and do it again.They have warned her of nauseated and hair loss...I so pray for a miracle..

Old 04-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #7

Marcy1 HB User

Very sad update yesterday. Mother in law called last night and told us that the cancer has now spread to my sister in laws brain. I just hope that they can make her as pain free as possible. Hugs to all of you who are going through this too.
What if anything can we do for her, beside praying? I certainly don't want to ask the in-laws anything as they are distrut.
We were told in Nov. that she had 3 months but with treatment it may help shrink the tumor and slow the spread. It's been 7 months since her diagnosis. I know I shouldn't but can't help but wonder how long does she have now since the brain is involved. I'm trying my best to get a handle on it so I can help my DH & sons.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Sorry to hear about this turn of events in her life. Your whole family must be very sad. I hope her doctors are able to do something to help her, or if they can't, that the end of her life is as free of suffering as possible.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #9
(female)

kitkatD HB User

Marcy, prayers for your whole family. It will vary on how long it will be, but from others I have known, it can range from 2-6 mos. It is very hard to say. Just cherish these remaining moments with her. If she has children, remind them all the time of how great she was to others! Sorry you have to go through this. I hope your family heals.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #10

Marcy1 HB User

KitkatD & Timber,
Thank you both sooooo much for your replies!!! I feel so outside of the family circle but I so wish there was something I could do....
My sister in law is an awesome woman and one of the few that has really made me feel comfortable within the family for the twenty years I've been in it.
I feel that her undying love of her daughter & her two grandbabies has been the drive that has kept her here this long.
We live in a different state and money is extremely tight for us.We have to get there though as soon as possible to see her before it's too late.That's just one of the reason why I was trying to figure out how long.We hope to get there within a couple of weeks,we're just scared that it will be pushing it.
Under quite different circumstances in 1999, my mother passed without me being able to see her but the guilt I have felt is something that I don't want my husband to feel ever.
I so pray for all families who are dealing with these horrible cancers!!! Thank you for those that have thought of my dear sister in law.
Marcy

Old 04-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

I hope you are able to get out there and see her. I think airlines used to let people fly for free if there was a family emergency, but with all of the money problems they've been having in the past few years I think they quit doing that. It's too bad, since as you said, many (most) people can't just up and afford a plane ticket when a family member gets sick. How old is your SIL? How old are her kids?

Old 04-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #12

Marcy1 HB User

Hello Timber, sorry for getting back so late. Thanks on the airlines, the National Cancer Institute told me that the other day-------that's a great service to provide.
DH got to talk to his sister yesterday-------bless her heart, she sounds so upbeat and optimsitic!!! She will under go what they termed "gamma knife" for the tumors on her brain.They were optimistic after the MRI as there are only two tumors instead of clusters. I need to go research this as I've never heard of it before . Also she said that it was termed stage four not five with the ovarian cancer-----I don't know really how much of a difference it is though.
DH might go up there this weekend for she is afraid the gamma knife will affect her memory terribly, if he can't then we will all go in a couple of weeks after the treatment.
She is 55 and her daughter is 32.The grandkids are 9 & 3....and she is so tickled that she will get to spend some time with them over the Easter weekend.They really do keep her going and her great attitude!!!!
Thank you all for letting me ramble on , I really appreciate it more than my words can say!!!
Marcy

Old 04-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Marcy, I was sad to read your update on your sister in law. I, too will keep her and you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope your dh can get there for a visit. Your sister in law sounds like an amazing woman, bless her.

Hugs,
Karen

Closed Thread