It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

LMW67 HB User
Do you think this is Serious? I need advice.

Hi everyone here is my story:

I am a 37 yrd mother of an 18 yrd and a 7yrd.

I went to my ob/gyn because my right breast started to leak something that looked like colostrum. But about a year or so I had been occasionally having severe pain on my left side during my period. But I have a very high pain tolerance level, so I wrote the pain off as bad cramps. Plus I've had kidney disease since 1992 so I have back pain and kidney spasms that I contribute alot of my pain to. So I see the dr. and he decides to do a internal ultra sound for the pain(7/18/05 last period was 7/1/05) and he takes a sample of the breast fluid and orders ultra sound for breast and mammogram. The breast fluid is not colostrum and they contribute that to hormones and breast tissue changes (had reduction surgery on breasts in 98).

I get my internal ultrasound results back and the say my uterine echotexture is mildly heterogeneously thickened to 10 mm. Uterus is 9.2x4.1x6.3cm. I have a complex cystic area along left adnexal region abutting the left ovary (2.9x2.3x1.6cm). May represent a complex exophytic ovarian cyst with sepatations, not likely a hydrosalpinx. Then says something about not ruling out pelvic inflammatory disease. My right ovary (4.1x1.8x1.5cm) contains a small complex structure measuring 2cm. Most likely a ovoid complex ovarian cyst. With a tiny amount of free fluid about the right adnexa. I also have a linear echogenic structure within the uterine synechia. Plus a non specific uterine heterogeneity wothour dominanat focality. The radiologist recomends a second ultrasound.

Second ultasound (9/8/05 last period was 8/26/05) says my uterus is now 10.8x5.3x3.9cm. I'm still 10mm thick. They now see Nabothian cysts. My right ovary is now 5.6x3.6x3.4cm. I have multiple cysts about the rt ovary with the one now measuring 3cm. Cyst have developed and increased in size since the previous ultrasound. The left ovary measures 6.4x3.2x4.1cm. There are multiple cystic structures of varying shapes and sizes. Over all appearance is similar to the previous ultrasound but larger and more. Tiny amount of free fluid within the cul de sac. Thinks the cysts represent exophytic ovarian cysts. Plus a mild uterine inhomogeneity is a nonspecific finding and may represent early fibroid change.

My periods have started to change over the last few years. I always had very light periods, no cramps and they last about 3 days or less always on time. Now I bleed very red periods, with increased flow, they can last from one week to 2 days. I do have horible cramps some months others none. I have over the last 2 years gained a considerable amount of weight and my stomach is very large like I am 8 or 9 months pregnant. I have over the last year had shortness of breath and back pain which I contributed to over weightness/weight gain and kidney problems. I have had hot flashes and night sweats since I had my youngest son in 97. My dr says I am not pre-menopausal.

I also had my pap come back abnormal with ascus ( atypical squamous cells of uncertain significance).

My doctor wants to put me on birth control pills and see me in 3 months. My family on mothers side has a history of uterine cancer. Don't know fathers family history. I am worried because he seemed really non concerned and rushed me through the visit.

If any of you have been through this and could offer some advice please do so.

Last edited by LMW67; 09-20-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: Is this Serious?

I can't help you with the medical reports/terminology, etc, but I would support you 100% in getting a second opinion (or even a third). If you are not happy or comfortable with the plan of action laid out for you, fight for what you think you need. It is hard work, but it can be done, and in the end you will feel infinately more comfortable with any treatment you may (or may not) need.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

LMW67,
I would get another opinion from another doctor.
especially since you've already had the followup ultra sound and the cysts have increased. complex cysts need to be watched or checked out. I've had hemorphagic cysts read as complex cysts on my ultra sounds.
but that's not always the case.
there's a certain thickness of the endometrium that doctors allow before they get concerned. I can't remember what I read in the past on this.
try doing a search on uterine thickness or uterine disease so you can get a basic out line on this.

listen to your body even if it's vague symtoms. the bloating, the back aches are all symtoms of ovarian problems and that shouldn't be neglected if it doesn't go away.
it's your body, do not feel embarrassed to go to another doctor until you feel comfortable with the answers.
certain cancers strike woman in certain age brackets but there are the cases where the uncommon ones to get it at an earlier age.
I think you're too young to go thru menopause too. yet you're having these intense sweats.
certain medications like paxil, an anti depressant made me get hot flashes.
I had my levels of hormone checked too.
plus certain disease of the adrenal glands, they lay above the kidneys, if they become diseased, can cause that flushing syndrome, just like hot flashes. plus other symtoms along with it. I think it's the adrenal glands.
you may want to look that up.
pheochromocytoma.

don't give up. keep pressing your doctor until you are settled in your heart. it's your body, you know it best.
I wish you well and hope that get your answers.
sincerely,
Linda

Old 09-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
(female)

LMW67 HB User

Thank you everyone who has replied. I do have problems with my kidneys, I don't know if they could have affected my adrenal glands or not. But I am on medication for the kidney and also high blood pressure. I was recently put on Lexapro. I feel like I'm falling apart. And in the middle of all this I fell at a Charity Golf outing and broke my right arm and tore my rotator cuff.

Closed Thread