It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

Godschild2 HB User
Question Nurse practition just left message - mildly atypical?? No pap in 14 years

Hi everyone,
I'm the one who wrote a couple of weeks ago. I had a pap smear done on 9/13/05...my first one in 14 years. I am 32 years old.

The nurse practitioner left the following message on my cell phone:
pap smear came back "mildly atypical" but has nothing to do with cancer or infection usually, but I need to repeat the pap in 6 months. She said it's a common result and could be due to a number of causes, including having sex to close to my pap date.

I know my pap result wasn't affected by sex, because it's been quite some time since I've had sex.
On the day of my pap smear, I was on the last day of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection. Could this have affected the result?

Is "mildly atypical" the same as "ASCUS"?

Is it really nothing to worry about like she made it sound?

I guess I'm a little on edge because it's been so many years since I had a pap.
But, I will NEVER miss another pap smear appointment. I have learned my lesson.

Any clarification or insight is very much appreciated.

God Bless all of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
(female)

Lvnglf HB User
Re: Nurse practition just left message - mildly atypical?? No pap in 14 years

I'm not sure if ascus and mildly atypical is the same, but, from my experience, the fact that she didn't call you in for a colpo, punch biopsy, is really good.

A good "lesson", as you've pointed out, i'm really happy to hear, you won't miss your other pap test appointments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
(female)

Godschild2 HB User
Question Re: Nurse practition just left message - mildly atypical?? No pap in 14 years

I just got a copy of my report and it reads "Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance"
This was not broken down further.

What does it all mean? The nurse practitioner doesn't seem concerned about it. She just said to come back for a repeat pap in 4-6 months.

What could have caused this?
I know it wasn't sex because I haven't done that in quite some time.

On my report, my "hormonal assessment" was "moderate"

What does that mean?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
God Bless

Old 09-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #4
(female)

cincbcat HB User
Re: Nurse practition just left message - mildly atypical?? No pap in 14 years

ASCUS is considered a mild abnormality and basically means that your results weren't entirely normal but not entirely abnormal. So most doctors will repeat a pap in 6 months to see if the cells have returned to normal, or possibly turned into something different. It isn't a diagnosis that needs immediate treatment, but definitely follow up with your 6 month appointment. I just read that 60% of women with this diagnosis have no further problem after the initial pap smear. If there does happen to be something else going on, your Dr. will nip it in the bud long before it causes any serious problems. Try not to worry!

Closed Thread