It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

Katharine2 HB User
precancerous cells

Hi I'm new on this board. I have been told some pre pre cancerous cells have been found and I had to have a colposcopy and then some cells have been sent to be biopsyed. I am not sure how worried I should be and how treatable is cervical cancer? My doctor told me to check it out online.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: precancerous cells

Hi Katharine2,

Sorry that you have some pre-cancerous cells. The treatment for cervical/ovarian cancers depend on how old you are and whether or not you still want to have children! Other, more experienced ladies with probably reply tomorrow.

Take care and keep researching. Come here to vent and such!

Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

they may want to do a d&c and clean your cervix. Usually that helps, but it may be that you ahve to have hysterectomy. Doc shoudn't tell you to research online!!! He should explain what your options are. If he doesn't...I'd find another doctor..........how old are you?

Old 10-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

Katharine2 HB User

Well im almost 24 and until i get the biopsy back i guess i shouldn't stress. After it comes back ill get a second opinion. its just hard to know whether to be worried with pre pre cancer. u think id really need a hysterectomy?

Old 10-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Katharine2 - I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. Yes, wait for the biopsy for sure to come in. It will give you a tiny picture of what level of cell changes you are dealing with. did your doctor give you any indication of what level of cell changes he thought he was seeing? Like mild, moderate, severe or CIN 1, CIN 2, CIN 3? There are several kinds of treatment for moderate and severe dysplasia (they usually don't treat mild because it can regress). All three levels are considered to be pre-cancerous. The options include cryotherapy (freezing), laser, LEEP (which uses an electric current to cut through the tissue, and cauterizes to minimize bleeding) and cold knife cone biopsy (which uses a scalpel to remove the tissue). Even early stage 1a1 cervical cancer (invasive 3mm or less) can be considered treated and "cured" with a LEEP or CKC, if fertility is desired.

Pre-cancerous cells does not mean you need a hysterectomy, but if they are moderate or severe, they do need to be treated. I agree with the poster who said your doctor should be discussing this with you. Make sure you write down all your questions and ask these when you meet with him next. The more knowledge you have, the better information you will get from him.

For now, just try to relax and keep busy until you get your results. I know it is hard, but it's the only thing you can do.

Karen

Old 10-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
(female)

cincbcat HB User

I have had 3 rounds of pap smears with pre-cancerous cells. Your pap smear would give your Dr. an indication that there is some degree of abnormality to your cells, and chances are good that if he/she is going ahead with the colposcopy, he/she saw something they didn't like. The colposcopy/biopsy will tell them for sure what kinds of cells are on your cervix, and what type of treatment is best for you at this time. If you have had regular pap smears up until now, the chances are slim that you actually have cancer now. There are several degrees of abnormality to the cells, going from better to worse, you might hear: ASCUS (Atypical Cells of Undetermined Significance), this basically means something is going on but they aren't sure what, and it's most likely not cancer. Next is LGSIL (Low Grade Lesion), this is a low grade lesion which your Dr. may chose to remove or may monitor over a period of time to see if it goes away on its own. Next is HGSIL (High Grade Lesion), this lesion is serious and needs to be removed right away as the chances for it turning to cancer are much greater than the others if left untreated. The good news is, if these things are caught early, you will be treated and have little to no risk of developing cancer. You might also ask if you have HPV, the virus known to cause cervical cancer and pre-cancer. If you do, your Dr. will most likely treat any abnormality you have with a little more aggression. I hope I've helped.
Rachel

Last edited by cincbcat; 10-01-2005 at 02:26 PM.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
(female)

Katharine2 HB User

I do have some dormat form of HPV. Thanks u were really helpful.

Old 10-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I had a bad pap smear 22 years ago (I was 23 years old at the time). I had CIN III. I had cryosurgery and haven't had a problem since. Ask about cryosurgery, it's painless and quick! Good luck!

Old 10-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
(female)

NotSoGirlyGirl HB User

Removed for privacy

Last edited by NotSoGirlyGirl; 10-16-2005 at 08:56 PM.

Closed Thread