It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

qmom4 HB User
New here, with questions

Hi everyone,

I am 42 with irregular, heavy periods, and bad cramping. I'm extremely fatigued and weak. I have a history of breast cancer in my family (my 47 year old sister was diagnosed and had a mastectomy during the last year). I also have a history of endometriosis, tubal surgeries, and infertility treatments. I saw the nurse practitioner last week and she did some blood tests and gave me an order for a pelvic u/s and my normal mammo. My bloodwork came back with anemia (9.1) and an elevated CA 125. She called this morning to tell me about the results and told me to start iron and come back to see the actual doctor on Monday morning for a surgical consult for a uterus ablation. This will hopefully stop the heavy bleeding and help with the anemia. She said to make sure and get my u/s done on day 5, 6, or 7 of my next cycle. I didn't think to ask her why? I've estimated as best I could and scheduled the u/s for October 21 which seems so far off. Does it matter when you have an u/s to check for ovarian cancer? Also, a positive CA 125 doesn't necessarily mean I have cancer, does it? Is anemia a symptom of ovarian cancer? I will ask the doctor all these questions on Monday morning, but I'm scared now and was hoping someone here might be able to help me. I have 4 young children. I'm petrified that I have cancer.

Thanks for any responses,
Marianne

Last edited by qmom4; 10-05-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: New here

Hi Marianne,

Just a short reply. Finally going to bed! Try not to worry over the long weekend - try to keep yourself busy! Time goes by faster that way.

An elevated CA125 can mean cancer. But, it can also not mean a thing! It is just one of many tools that drs. use in trying to diagnose cervical and ovarian cancers. That and the vaginal ultrasound and by feeling. Then, they might do a biopsy. After that, the dr. might schedule a laprascopy (?) to really see if you need surgery for cancer or what ever else might be wrong. I have only gone as far as the biopsy. If you have one, make sure they give your something for pain b4 they do it - the biopsy that is!

I do not think that anemia is a symptom of ovarian cancer. I also do not know what an ablation is. My tech. person and my gyno. both said that it did not matter if I was bleeding when doing a vaginal ultrasound. Does not affect the results. Just might be a trifle messy! :>

Take care and try to have a good weekend! Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread