It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 AM   #1
(female)

kscb30 HB User
Back Again

I posted here a few months back as I went through the horrible experience of a bad pap, followed by a colpo (CIN III) and finally LEEP, the results of the LEEP were good CIN1 and margins clear. I am about to get my first pap since the LEEP procedure and all those horrible feelings have come rushing back. I was under the impression that if this kept reoccurring then a hysterectomy could take care of everything. However, I just found out yesterday a co-worker of mine who had a hysterectomy for this exact reason had a pap come back as cancer. As I write this she is at the doctor getting biopsies done. I just wish there was way to put it behind me forever.
Does anyone have any positive experiences since their LEEP, i.e. a series of good pap smears and no reoccurrence, I am really looking for the encouraging stories now!

Old 10-20-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
(female)

SLJ16 HB User
Re: Back Again

Hi,
I had a bad pap, colpo, then a LEEP in January. my follow up pap came back abnormal again. so i had to repeat the whole process. I had LEEP/Laser procedure back in July. I"m going for my 3 month follow up pap in Nov. I can totally relate to how you feel right now. i'm hoping for the best and praying for good results this time around. I'm not sure about the reoccurance rate. My friend had a LEEP and her follow up pap was normal and since then all her paps were normal. I really don't want to go through this all over again. I'll keep you in my prayerS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 07:26 AM   #3
(female)

gogo123 HB User

All my paps have been abnormal for past 2 years, did leep then cone , still bad, but my doctor said some people takes a little longer to regress and clear up, as long as you follow up it wont become cancer cause you catch it early, I hope you get over it sooner than me , although I have been waiting long to hear normal I still have positive attitude that sooner or later I will hear those words again,,,as for your friend,,when she had the hysterectomy , was her dysplasia very severe? theres several reasons why after hysterectomy she may have cancer.....is it vaginal? I have heard that it may but VERYYYYYYYYYYYY rare go to the vagina....

Old 10-20-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

Hi kscb, do you mean that your colleagues pap came back as definite cancer or pre cancerous lesions again?

Old 10-20-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
(female)

kscb30 HB User

Collegue had hysterectomy for Carcinoma in situ - right now (I just spoke with her) she had a bad pap (vaginal Low Grade Pre Cancer) I should also add she is a heavy smoker. Ironically we have the same doctor and he attirbuted it to the heavy smoking.
Now I have to wait my two weeks for the pap results. The nurse said the first one typically comes back ASCUS since the cervix is still healing. I guess the good news if any of it is good is that my LEEP only had CIN 1 and clear margins (I had a polyp removed which was CIN III, and that is why he ordered the LEEP).
I hate the waiting game!!

Old 10-20-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Alyss HB User

kscb, first, I figure that the vast majority of women who have these procedures and good follow-ups are not reading or posting on these kinds of boards. We're hearing from the 5 percent in the throes of it, or with findings that still need treatment. I have read the statistics. I don't recollect them clearly or feel like doing the research right now, but suffice it to say the odds are with you.

Second, the medical community largely does not regard "carcinoma in situ" as cancer, but rather as the last stage of pre-cancer. So it would be more accurate to say that your colleague looks to be dealing with another pre-cancer.

Believe, I understand the torments of "waiting." Been doing it for three months now. Even so, I am sure that there are worse things than this.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
(female)

tpagm HB User

hello-

I have had an abnormal paps, colpo, Leep. First pap after leep came back ASCUS. Just had my 2nd pap two weeks ago after the leep and got the results today. WHAT A SIGH OF RELIEF it came back NORMAL. First normal pap in I don't know how long.
Good Luck!!!

Old 10-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
(female)

kscb30 HB User

Congrats on the good pap - it is really reassuring to hear the happy endings. I hope you continue to have negative paps.
Now should my results come back ASCUS I don't have to panic. I have read the stats but it is always helpful to hear a story associated with the numbers.
Thanks to all the reassurring comments on this board -

Old 10-20-2005, 03:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

My aunt has been through a few abnormal paps, a couple of them severe. She has had a cone and laser treatment. Another good thing to remember is that even with CIN 3 it doesn't necessarily mean it will progress to cancer. There is a likelihood that it will, but it's not a given. Close follow up is so important. About the only thing that helps with keeping this virus at bay is to take care of your body, keep your immune system strong and don't smoke. Smoking is a real aggravator, studies have shown it.
I hope your follow up appointment goes well...if I remember correctly you got clear margins with the LEEP, right? That definately works in your favor

Karen

Old 10-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
(female)

Lvnglf HB User

Until I read this, I was also under the impression that a hyst. would "take care of it" if need be. (big time bummer). There has been many good points in the replies.

The part about who's in here replying. When I was "done" with my leep. I tried to forget about all of this, which meant, for me, not to come in healthboards. Avoid stressfull situations, right? Selfish I guess, but, that was my way. Plus it was summer, busy, bla,bla, but,,,those who have the good stories, I think, most of them, hopefully don't worry about this anymore, so, they might not be here anymore.

My point, we seem to post more about the "bad" because the main reason that brought us here (brought me here anyways), is for support through a difficult time. From the statistics on the net all around, their are many good "endings". It can "go away" with proper treatment, follow up, good diet, don't smoke, avoid stress, ect. There is for sure very high hope for all including your friend. BIG TIME.

FAITH

Take good care.

Closed Thread