It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
(female)

Katharine2 HB User
Just had a copscopy

I just had a colposcopy and I have pre cancerous cells and have to get them scraped off next week. I am really scared and nervous. Also has anyone else had the test and has anyone else had precancerous cells scraped off and then gotten cancer anyway?

Old 11-01-2005, 03:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

victoria48 HB User
Re: Just had a copscopy

It is very scary to hear the word cancer mentioned at all but it is really not as serious as it sounds - providing you have the treatment completed and always keep up to date with your pap smear tests.

Pre-cancerous cells are caused by a virus called HPV and if you have this virus, you will have it for the rest of your life. If you take care of yourself though, it can become dormant in your body and not cause you any health problems.

Having the pre-cancerous cells removed is not pleasant by any means but it is all over within a few minutes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
(female)

prplrose33 HB User

I went through this about 2 years ago. I had an abnormal pap and it said that i had HPV and mild dysplasia. I had the LEEP procedure done to get rid of the abnormal cells. I'm not sure what you are having done, but the LEEP wasn't that bad. A year later I had my annual and my tests came back negative. I'm going for my annual again tomorrow and am hoping for another negative. I was nervous and scared about it and am still nervous and scared about tomorrow.
Good Luck with everything.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

I even had a more invasive procedure because during my LEEP I reacted to the epinephrine AND because my cervix was too high. I had to have a cold knife cone biopsy. They removed all the bad cells. As long as you keep going in for your check ups and paps, you will not get as far as having actual cancer. That is why they do these tests..to prevent that. But you cannot skip your appts. You must get checked regularly (according to Dr suggestions).

Old 11-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

Katharine2 HB User

Thanks for all the comments! I feel so much better.

Closed Thread