It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

88Shadow HB User
Smoking and cervical dysplasia

Hi guys! Wanted to share some info I turned up in my ongoing research. I see this subject mentioned quite often on this site and I think this information is important to anyone who wants to do what they can to reverse the cellular changes. In my research I learned that cigarette smoking has been implicated as a cause. Now it's not THE cause - but combining smoking with HPV increases the risk of dysplasia. And that's not saying that if you smoke and have the virus that you will definitely get dysplasia. But if you DO have dysplasia and you DO smoke - take note. More than 53 percent of women with dysplasia are or were smokers. They have tested the bodies of women who smoke and the chemicals ingested (nicotene and cotinine) are concentrated in the cervix. Those chemicals have been shown to damage cervical cells. Now THIS was interesting - men who smoke also concentrate these chemicals into their genital secretions and can bathe the cervix with these chemicals during intercourse. Partners may want to consider using condoms as a preventative approach to reduce the risk or progression of cervical dysplasia. I don't smoke but my husband has taken up smoking cigars. (Yuck!) So - I'm taking the info from my research and he gets to use condoms from now on unless he decides to be smart and quit smoking! Anyway - hope this is helpful. I thought the information was very important to share!

The Following User Says Thank You to 88Shadow For This Useful Post:
emmy6262 (03-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

serenity26 HB User
Re: Smoking and cervical dysplasia

Thats really interesting. I was a smoker, dated smokers, hmmm

Old 12-03-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

It is interesting and it is true. Along with that whole subject, it also increases our chances for bladder cancer.

I just quit. Smoked for a long long time and smoked a lot. Had endo cancer 2 1/2 years ago..caught early thank god but at one of my usual follow ups got an ASCUS result. Tested positive for the bad HP viruses and now instead of the 6 month round of tests, am doing the 3 month round. I'm bummed to say the least. It has at least given me (finally) enough incentive to give the damn things up.

Good luck to everyone who is dealing with this insideous crap.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
(female)

88Shadow HB User

Josie:

Congrats on quitting smoking! That's about the best thing you can do for your health! I would also encourage you to try to find a doc who will help you use natural vitamins and minerals to boost your immune system. I posted earlier this year on that subject and I'll update it now to bring it back to the top of the forum. I'm still fighting this but am more than willing to share what I've learned and how this all works out for me.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #5
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

Post it Shadow.. I'm all ears. It's been 1 week today since the last cigerette. I find that this time, I have a much stronger conviction to quitting and it just hasn't been as tough as other times.

I am also diabetic and have had thyroid problems for 30 years. I think boosting my immune system is long overdue. I also had a very serious shoulder and hand injury last march and had surgery on my hand this summer and am possibly looking at shoulder surgery this winter. I really don't want it. I suspect that I will either have to live with it, or have the surgery which is a nasty recovery. On top of the injury, I developed adhesive capsulitis in that shoulder..a strong predisposition from being diabetic and post menapausal.. who knew it could all be so connected! I'll be anxious to read whatever you can share on this.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
(female)

88Shadow HB User

Sorry about your other health problems! See the post Using Vitamins and Minerals to Reverse Dysplasia. I checked out my docs recommendations with the Life Extension Foundation as well as doing a lot of research on the internet and everything I've read says that Folic Acid and Vitamin A as well as Indole Carbinole (Cerviplex) helps the body to fight off the HPV virus. Hope this info helps you! I'm still in the midst of this so I can't swear by anything yet!

Old 12-05-2005, 07:23 PM   #7
(female)

serenity26 HB User

Keep it up Josie! I quit when I got my diagnosis and its been 20 months since my last cigarette. It gets easier, don't worry. I chewed a lot of gum and actually found chewing coffee stirs was extremely helpful, satisfying the hand mouth thing and no calories!

Old 12-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

I'm doing great with the non-smoking! Will be 2 weeks tomorrow. Do not have any desire to smoke. Funny you mentioned the coffee stirrers.. I quit years ago (several times) and once was hooked on the things. Was waiting for a table in a fancy restaurant and had a cocktail with my usual stirrer and finally got seated and found myself looking frantically around for an ashtray for my plastic stir stick!!!!! I was a 2 pack a day smoker 2 weeks ago..now.. I still have an urge.. but hours go by without my even thinking about it. Thanks all for the support.

Have a question..I've heard that you can't ever lose the 2 hpv viruses that cause the cervical cancer but you can fight the other strains. Is this true? I'll go for my 3 month check ups regularly because I just do not want any more cancer. Don't want any treatments either. I'm hoping that the ASUCS will be the worst result and the only one. Is it true though that I will always have some sort of abnormal result? or, is it true that without a close check, left alone, it will turn into cancer?? I don't have a cervix left... don't want anything else going either!

Old 12-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
(female)

serenity26 HB User

Not exactly sure-I've gotten conflicting info:

-Hpv is a virus and you will have it. period.

-And... sometimes your body fights it off.

So, confusing huh? I had follow-up paps including (in order since 2 leeps) normal, abnormal (ascus), normal, normal. When I had the ascus result, they tested it for hpv and said it was negative, indicating it was probably scar tissue or something. Does that mean its gone? In hiding? Not really sure yet.

That totally does not answer your question, but as for me, I'm just going to follow my doc's advice and go in when she wants me to.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
(female)

88Shadow HB User

Josie - Way to go on giving up smoking! That is awesome! My sister has oral cancer and went through surgery and radiation. Now she thinks it's come back and she still hasn't quit smoking! It is just so, so bad for you. Regarding your question - the virus lives in your body forever regardless of what strain you have. Even some of the low risk strains "can" cause cervical cell changes. On the other hand, you can have the high risk strains and never, ever have a problem. They just don't know what triggers the virus into coming out of dormancy and causing cell problems in the cervix. The only thing they know for sure is that usually women's immune systems are able to overcome the cell changes and revert things back to normal. That's why so many docs are now doing nothing more than a re-pap after three months if the colposcopy shows mild to moderate dysplasia. The ONLY thing you can do is make sure you're doing EVERYTHING in your power to keep your immune system strong. (Again - check out the vitamins and minerals post). And not smoking any longer will give your immune system a huge boost. Hang in there and keep up your check ups. My next one is in January!

Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #11
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

thank you for that info.. I was aware that for many, the ability to fight the virus..I guess push it into dormancy was how it all worked except..for the 2 high risk strains. I figure I'll do anything I can to boost the immune system, eat better and not smoke. funny..had endometrial cancer (adenocarcinoma) and was mostly worried about not smoking in the hospital! thought I'd quit then..ha! Now, I figure how many times do I need to "get the message?"... Anyway..I just hate the fact that now this is hanging over my head..I'm hoping that whatever or wherever the high risk strands go..that it doesn't do anything to me and my paps just turn out ok. Of course everyone wants that, but..what the heck... we can always hope!

Old 03-11-2006, 07:36 AM   #12
(female)

ilovesporty HB User

Hey Shadow...thanks for drawing our attention to this thread. I just quit as well and I'm trying to get my hubby to jump on the bandwagon. We'll see...we have to use condoms right now anyway for bc as my doc took me off of the pill. Anyway, I'm just curious if you have any of your research saved. I'm a research junkie too and would love to look at some of the articles addressing this topic. I'm curious if the numbers are even higher for those of us that have progressed to cancer rather than dysplasia.

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #13
(female)

88Shadow HB User

I specifically got the info about smoking from a wonderful book by Life Extension. It's called Disease Prevention and Treatment. It covers all types of disease and goes in quite extensively to cervical cancer including vitamins and minerals which have been proven through studies to help fight off the HPV virus. I can't recommend it strongly enough. The actual vitamin supplement regime I've used came directly from my doctor who has seen it reverse one of her patients from CINIII to normal within two three month cycles of using it. If you want the specifics on that regime, see my post on Using Vitamins and Minerals to reverse dysplasia. I've been through it twice now and waiting for a repap in June so I'll let you know how that comes out. It's basically trying to boost your immune system so your own body can fight off the virus. I'm crossing my fingers it works for me because I'm with the rest of you - I'm totally sick of going to the doctor non-stop!

Closed Thread