It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
(female)

matlulmolly HB User
low grade sil

Hi I am new to this board and I just have a couple of questions? I just got back my first abnormal papsmear back in July and had a colposcopy done and the results were low grade sil. My OB said I will need paps every 3months to monitor. We want to try to conceive, will this affect our plans and should I be concerned about being pregnant with low grade? any insight would be helpful.... thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: low grade sil

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlulmolly
Hi I am new to this board and I just have a couple of questions? I just got back my first abnormal papsmear back in July and had a colposcopy done and the results were low grade sil. My OB said I will need paps every 3months to monitor. We want to try to conceive, will this affect our plans and should I be concerned about being pregnant with low grade? any insight would be helpful.... thanks
That question should be answered by your doctor. The doctor would know more about how the hormones that are generated by pregnancy would effect the SIL. I do have knowledge of people who were diagnosed with cervical cancer while pregnant and the obgyn elected to wait until after the pregnancy was complete and the baby delivered by C-section, before treating the cancer. So, as you see this question should not rely on a forum for any guidance except to say consult your doctor BEFORE you try to conceive in this case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

matlulmolly HB User

Thanks Meri,

That's what I figured. I will check with her.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
(female)

serenity26 HB User

Low grade SIL are cells with low grade changes. My doc explained it to me like a staircase, each step representing the changes normal, low, med, high grade, and then into the cancers. What they'll watch for is if you have any changes greater than low, and then if so explore options of removing the tissue without it ever getting to the point of worrying about cancer. She said only a percentage of the low grade change people actually move up the stairs, most people's immune system fights it off. I had mod-high grade changes (mind you I hadn't gone to the doc in 5 years!) and had 2 leep procedures. But one thing my doc gave me is prescription strength folic acid (which they also give to women trying to conceive) which promotes healthy cell regeneration. Low stress, good diet and don't smoke. Your body will probably take care of the rest. Definitely check in with your doc every three months just to be sure. Don't worry about the conceiving, my doc said it would have any effects. Take care of yourself.

Last edited by serenity26; 11-30-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Closed Thread