It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

texan1771 HB User
Unhappy Early Menopause due to Treatment urgent help needed!!!!!!!!!!

I went thru 35 raditation treatment which fried my ovaries sending me thru menopause I am suffering soooooooo bad the complications are awful!!! I have SEVERE vaginal dryness and constantly urinating I do not have a infection either I think I might have what they call cystitis and I dont sleep for going to the bathroom all night... I just got over for now weeks of constipation abdomen still hurts though I feel like I am dying!!!! the dryness I think is the worst what are some solutions they wont put me on hormones because of my age and cancer risks. is there any good OTC creams are something I had cervical cancer BTW and it sucks please I am desperate for suggestions thanks

Old 11-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
(female)

DulcieB HB User
Re: Early Menopause due to Treatment urgent help needed!!!!!!!!!!

Hi
Sorry to hear about your problems. I too have had stage 3 cervical cancer back in 2001 and had 3 major surgeries and 25 fractions of Radiotherapy so I do know what you are going through. I had the vaginal dryness too and the best thing I found to use was a product called 'Replense' which you can buy at any pharmacy, also 'Eros' body glide is good too. I know what you mean about the bladder, I had a vaginal/bladder fistula complication 5 weeks after my radical hysterectomy and this required further surgery, I then had my Radiotherapy treatment and 8 weeks later I developed a bowel obstruction( due to the radiotherapy) and needed more surgery. I have had constant bowel problems including lots of bleeding from the bowel area since ( and still do) but I have had several colonoscopies and there is no sign of any more cancer. The bleeding is apparently due to radiotherapy damage and surgical damage and just something that I will have to learn to live with I guess. I still have lots of bowel pain before and during bowel movements but I'm still here and I am grateful for that. Thing have got better though, apart from the symptoms that I have already told you about...i'm ok although I think i may have a thyroid problem now as I am displaying some symptoms of this. Its early days for you but you'l be ok, it just takes time. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Texan, you need some "hysterectomy sisters" out there to help you with navigating the "hormone jungle" you are making your way through. Have you tried searching the net for some information on this?

Karen

Old 12-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

I didn't have cervical cancer, but I did have an early stage of colon cancer and, as a result, had to have high doses of internal and external pelvic radiation. My ovaries immeditaely shut down. I went into menopause in my early 30s. I resisted HRT, because, I was so afraid I'd then get breast cancer, but my doctors have been so concerned about my bone health and vaginal health. I had severe vaginal dryness and burning urethritis, to the point of agony...... I finally, after much resistance, starting wearing a low dose HRT patch regularly, which I change twice a week. The vaginal dryness, too, has been greatly alleviated by Vagifem, a vaginal estrogen tablet, you insert into your vagina, with an applicator once a week. You might also try some estrogen cream, but that sometimes caused more burning for me. Not sure why. Until the meds took effect, I struggled to find something to help moisten my vaginal tissues. It had to be fragrance free and pretty inert. Vaseline ointment helped. K-Y Jelly or something like it, such as Replens, which is administered with a suppository. Go to the section where they sell yeast infection treatments, at your drugstore. Warm baths helped and even a heating pad or an ice pak. I even tried hydrocortizone cream to help reduce inflammation. 600mg Ibuprofen might help reduce the inflammation too. The key is to keep your vaginal walls moist, with whatever ointements or meds that don't increase the burning. The Vagifem and HRT have only given me actual lasting comfort, but it took awhile. As far as the urethritis, I've found some relief with Macrodantin and Elmiron (do a search under meds on your computer) but, once the HRT kicked in, I found that the urethritis started to correct itself as well. During the worst part of my pain, my doctor did agree to let me take a very mild sedative only once a day, but don't get hooked on that stuff. It calmed the physical pain some. I sound like a walking drugstore, but when you go through such agony, you are willing to try the medicines that might be out there to help. Up till this time, I barely ever took aspirin. Thus is part of the journey of being a cancer survivor. My heart goes out to you. Not only did I have to face infertility, but 20 years too soon into menopause. I also take Fosomax weekly to protect my bones, as well as calcium and a multivitiamin daily. Hang in there. I was in agonizing pain, but I did finally find some relief. My vaginal walls are now fairly moist, I'm happy to report.

Last edited by wmkcolors; 12-03-2005 at 11:56 PM.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
(female)

texan1771 HB User

Thanks all for your responses I am going to call my dr in the morning and demand a appointment Thanks again God Bless

Closed Thread