It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

brookeysma HB User
Advice with ongoing ovarian problems..PLEASE!!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi all..I posted awhile back. The saga continues....

I am a 34 year old who went to my PCP with excrutiating abdominal pain. Primary sent me for an ultrasound on 10/12. That ultrasound showed the following....left ovary had 4.5cm cyst that was partially fluid and partial debris. There were also multiple smaller cysts as well. I also had 52.8 cm of free fluid in my cul-de-sac. Primary referred me to a gyno.

Gyno assumed that I had a ruptured cyst and wanted a repeat ultrasound. this was done on 10/26...the cyst size had decreased to 1.5cm but it was a "hypoechoic structure" and had internal echoes which suggested a complex or hemorrhagic cyst.

Now mind you I am still in pain constantly, am extremely gassy all of the time, I've lost my apetite, get nauseous a lot...etc...I really feel like something is not right here.

Gyno than said that he wanted another Ultrasound at the tail end of my period. Well my cycle only lasted 20 days this time so I had my 3rd Ultrasound on 11/22/05. This time the cyst was 1.8cm with internal echoes which may represent an hemorrhagic cyst.

Gyno wants to see me this Friday for another internal and to put me on birth control pills???

My problem with this is that this cyst is not going away and is complex. In all that I have read, if a cyst doesnt go away after a few cycles, it should be checked out more thoroughly. Am I right about that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: Advice with ongoing ovarian problems..PLEASE!!

Has your doc asked for a ca125 test? Has he given you enough information to make you feel reassured that you are not having symptoms of ovarian cancer? From your post, I think he has not. I would definately recommend a second opinion - it can't hurt ... It sounds like you are going to have to be your own best advocate with this, and sometimes that can be a very stressful thing to do. keep fighting to get the answers you need, even if you have to turn elsewhere.

Karen

Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
(female)

brookeysma HB User

Thanks for your response....I hear ya on the own best advocate thing...I guess I just dont think my OBGYN is being vigilant enough. With everything that I have read on the subject, I think just putting me on birth control is not the best resolution. This cyst is not going away and I think I would feel much better if I knew for sure it wasnt anything but just a cyst. Thanks again for your reply!

Old 11-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Brookeysma,

I too, think you should get a second opinion. Your doctor needs to tell you more info, or do more tests.

Mine offered me a laparascopy when I started having ovarian cyst problems. But, we did sort of what you are doing, because I have a $5,000 deductible. I had 4 Vaginal Ultrasounds in 1 year. Also, he did a CA125 blood test. One of my cysts was liquid and one was matter filled/dense. They slowly got smaller. I will have another ultrasound next year. The only problem that I have right now, is lower abdominal pain, almost all the time. Mine could also be caused by IBS or another gastro problem.

I am going back to talk to my doctor/gynocologist in January. Just for my minds sake! I am a fraidy cat when it comes to ovarian cancer. Also, gas (which I have too), is a symptom of ovarian cancer. Keep being your own advocate! I am - no matter what anyone else says! It is my body and my life!

Take care and keep watch or change drs.

Wannabe

Old 12-01-2005, 02:00 AM   #5
(female)

janine65 HB User

hi
ive had a small cyst for a number of years but have been having real bad ovulation pains so my dr also put me on the pill to stop ovulation and hopefully stop the pain. have only been on them a week so will let you know what happens. but i think that if you are noe happy with what dr is telling you get a second opinion. he most definitely should have taken bloods from you.
hope this helps
janine

Closed Thread