It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
(female)

rav4grl HB User
Unhappy Need some answers

My friend is undergoing surgery as I type this message right now for ovarian cancer...she has a large cyst on her left ovary and a large tumor at the top of her colon. Her bloodwork was all clear for her other organs which means it has not spread to anywhere else. The doctor is removing what he can I guess and a full hysterectomy. She is 50 years old and there is no history of ovarian cancer in her family. she has not had any children. They are going to do six months of aggressive chemo after the surgery at sometime. Will she come out of this surgery fine? Will the chemo kill the rest of the cancer? Or is the chemo a precaution for future cancer in her? Any help would be appreciated. Is it possible to survive this longterm? Anyone out there who can help me with her prognosis as to answering any questions, I would appreciate it. She is Polish and does not have any family in the states nor does she have a computer. I am her only friend and I have just moved from New Jersey to Florida and cannot be with her now. Please help! Donna

Old 12-01-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: Need some answers

Hi Rav4grl,

I am not too familiar with ovarian cancer. I am afraid that I might have it, but, so far my vaginal ultrasounds are inconclusive. And the only other symptoms I have, are bloating and lots of gas. Also, lower abdominal pain on both sides.

It sounds like she might be allright. But, you will have to wait, until she gets out of surgery to tell for sure. They will probably test the lymph nodes around the cancer sites and check them for futher spread of the cancer. It is good that she is also having the hysterectomy and the chemo. This will help it not to spread or come back.

The doctor will tell her what stage her cancer is/was. And if it has spread or not. That will determine what type of long term survival rate she probably has. Get her to ask lots and lots of questions of her doctor and nurses. Then, you will have more information to find the answers - fully - to hers and your questions.

Take care of you and your friend.

Wannabe
Can I ask you how they found her ovarian cancer and the other cancer too? What tests or procedures did they do? I am 55 and have had 4 vaginal ultrasounds, many physicals and a CA125. So far my cysts have either shrunk down some or were unable to be seen because of gas!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
(female)

rav4grl HB User
Smile Re: Need some answers

Hi...thanx for the reply...my friend Elizabeth thru routine medical exams with her gynocologist discover she had a fybroid cyst on her left ovary...that was about a year ago..they were watching it and said is could shrink or get larger. Over the past month or so she started having pain on her left side by the ovary...that led to a CA-125 bloodtest and many others. I believe she had an ultrasound done also. The result of her CA-125 bloodtest showed a super high number of 3,000 something and normal range was 1 to 35. That is how Ovarian cance was suspected. I sent her to one of the best doctors that works out of Hackensack University Center in Hackensack, N.J. He did more tests last week. She also had lots of bloating and severe gas pains over the last week. She had an appointment with him on Tuesday for the results...she also noticed the other day a hard lump at the top of her abdomen...he examined her and said that lump was huge...he scheduled her for surgery last night. As of right now the info. I have is that he got all out he could and will start aggressive chemo in a month. I will have more info. when I talk to her later when she is put into a room finally. I am now going to start taking care of myself. I am 53 and have not been to a gynocologist in 12 years. My family is loaded with all kinds of cancer. I am going to get some tests done just for precausions. Anymore info. I can help you with also let me know. Reading here there is so much info. to be learned. The doctors are amazed at how much we know today....thanx to the boards here and all these wonderful knowledeable people like you who are willing to help with answers the docs just don't give us. Thanx a bunch, Donna

Old 12-02-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
(female)

rav4grl HB User
Smile Re: Need some answers

Just wanted to add in one more thing...when I talk to my friend I will gather up all the tests that she has had done and forward them to you. I'm sure it will help you. Thanx again, Donna

Closed Thread