It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User
complex ovarian cyst at 29

I hope someone reads this who has some experience here. I went to the doc because I have been running a fever for weeks, and she decided to do a pelvic cat scan due to some pelvic pain and i have a history of cancer. I had a soft-tissue tumor on my leg, and I've been 15 years cancer-free. They called me today and said i have a complex ovarian cyst, and need an ultrasound. So I will be doing that next week as well as a follow-up visit to my doc to see what it is and how to treat it.

I know very little of this condition, though I did some googling on the subject and I keep seeing cancer risks with these types of cysts. Being as I had cancer before, I am somewhat frightened. Either way I know it isn't the end of the world and will do whatever I need to get better. I am assuming I can have surgery, and want the ovary removed. I have been very sick and I cannot sleep, and I don't want more children. I have had some pelvic infections in the past, as well as endometriosis and I am sick of this. I have 2 children and cannot get pregnant (we tried and do not use birth control) and I am both losing weight and getting more and more swollen in my abdomen. I have to pee all the time and have pain most of the time. My periods have become irregular, and only last one day. At this point, I would consider a hysterectomy if I am told it will help me, but of course it is too early to speculate too much as i have to have the conversation with my doc and the ultrasound.

I cried when they told me. I was so happy to find out what is wrong with me as i have been feeling so bad and running fevers for almost a year. And it gets worse and worse. I am kind of scared, as I can't just pop some antibiotics and be on my merry way back to normalcy. I hope someone here has been through this and can offer me their experience. Either way, very much relieved to know what this is, and scared at the same time. At least I am not crazy. I was beginning to think this was all in my head, as a doc in my past suggested anti-depressants to "feel better". ugh.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
(female)

pams37 HB User
Re: complex ovarian cyst at 29

Hello Hillaryb,you are not losing your mind.You know some-thing I have been going through exactly what you are going through.Finally last week my new doctor told me I have an ovarian cyst(he said smalll though)on left ovary.I knew since Sept that it was probably a cyst that was causing problems.Ok so last week he told me about my ultrasound.Now when I did ultrasound I was on my period.So I had major major pains every-where.I could not breath in and out(they want you to breath deep with ultrasound)I could not do it.It hurt so bad to do it.Eventually I did,but it toook a while for me to do what they wanted.So any-ways my doctor told me that they found gas alllll over my body(all in my organs)and that they said they could telll you were in a lot of pain.I never knew gas pains could hurt so bad.Now I have to go every 6 months to get monitored.He never said if it's complex or what.He just said it's smalll and ovarian cyst.
But seee since Sept I too was running a very low fever.My body is used to being at 98.8 Every-day for a while I was 99.1-99.9
Plus I was so run down.I had really bad back pains.I too lost weight in the summer.I weighed 175 pounds in June,then by end of Aug I weighed 145 pounds.But I lost weight and I was also distended(distended abdomen)so I look like I'm like 5 months pregnant.The last time I weighed 145 pounds was in 1997(for my wedding)but I had to work my buttt offf to weigh that.But now I weigh 145 pounds and I did not do a thing.So strange.See I weigh lesss but for some reason I just don't feeel sexxy or awesome(usually I loook nice and thin at this weight)to me I loook so big.I really don't know what's going on.Since Sept I have had pain alll month.I guess gas pains alll month.Now this month I have no pain at all.Or maybe it's becuase this cyst is smalll.I'm wondering if I keep getting cysts.I wonder if when one dissappears then another one comes.In Sept I could telll some-thing was hitting my bladder(I'd be running to the washroom alll month long)it was so bad where I thought I had a bladder infection or kidney infection.But they found nothing.Plus I could some-times feel some-thing blocking my bowels.I would either get diarehha or constipated.But for Dec no pain at alll(or maybe for now the cyst is gone)
I wish you welll.I know what you are going through.Every-one thinks you are faking what you are feeling.But you know some-thing,gas pains I think are the worst.
Ok take care and have a beautiful Christmas.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Pams! I just read your post on page 3 and when I did a search to find all your posts, I came across your reply! I weigh 115 right now and look about 4 months pregnant. My weight went down to 107 and I was still "round". This really stinks. In a way, it is good that it is a complex cyst, because they will tend to do more right away, instead of a "wait and see" . I have a good doc, and she is fairly aggressive, so hopefully I will feel better soon. When you can't sleep anymore, life sucks! I'm happy for you that you have some answers so far, and hope you get a good resolution. I was starting to think I was crazy, and my husband was doubting me too. He is happy that they found something though. It has been a rough year. Thank you so much for your reply.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
(female)

pams37 HB User

Hello Hillaryb,oh yes my husband also did not beleive me.Only because the doctor I orginally had kept telling me nothing is wrong with me.So if they say you are faking how you feeel and they can't find any-thing.Then your family thinks you are just exageratting.They don't understand the pain you actuallly feel.I would not wish it on any-one.But it's so weird that this month(when they finally confirmed it's an ovarian cyst)I have nooo pains at alll.No gas pains either(but I'm still bloated and distended)so I can't figure that out.But I wonder if one cyst dissapears and then another one comes.This cyst I don't feeel it near my bladder.But the ones I had from Sept to Nov I could always feeel it near my bladder and bowels and I could feel some-thing hitting my stomach(then I would rush to the washroom and every-thing would go through me)
Ohh plus my doctor said I am very low in Vitamin B12.I don't know if I'm anemic(my face looooks so pale)but this month I have my energy back.From Sept-Nov I had no energy.I had to lay down alll the time.I would do things in slow motion.I had no energy or patience for my 2 young children either.But this month every-thing feeeels better and different.Plus I now have my appetite back tooo.In the summer and until Nov I did not eat much.I would take one bite and then be so fulll and bloated.
Next week I have to go for more blood tests(the same ones I did for Dec)They need to check and see if my B12 is still low(now I'm taking vitamins)plus now I'm eating more fruits and vegs(boring salads toooo)eating a bit more meat.So if it says I'm low still then I think I might have an absorption problem(when foods you eat go through you)Ok have a beautiful christmas and I wish you the best.Love always Pamela

Old 12-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

For me the only thing that helped was to get so sick that the doctors became alarmed. I have been running a fever for a month now. I am sick today. I feel like i have the flu. So finally they do some extensive tests. I have an ultrasound on wed. morning, and my doc will meet with me that afternoon. I want surgery. I am really ill right now and it is getting worse. Plus, they have to biopsy it or remove the ovary just to be sure it isn't ovarian cancer. I had cancer when I was 15 and I know the drill. I know there is a risk, but I'm hoping complex cysts are all they find. Either way, I have children now and will do whatever I need to do to stick around for them.

In the past i was diagnosed with mild endometriosis, adhesions, and pelvic congestion, found via laprascopy. I hated the idea of another diagnostic surgery, and my docs were telling me this was all endo getting worse and they would have to go in and see. So I planned to do that in the spring (financial reasons, and hubby's work schedule) and was going to tough it out for the rest of the year. I'm in really bad shape now and my doc says I can't wait. Good. I'm glad. Let's get this over with now so I can get back to being 29, and not being sick more often than not. From doing some research, I think I may end up needing a hysterectomy. I know if they go in to investigate the cysts, there is a good chance they will decide to take everything out. I have this suspicion that I am in pretty bad shape when it comes to all my reproductive organs.

It is a sad fact that you simply have to get so bad that the docs finally take you seriously. For a while, they treated me like I was overreacting, now they wonder why I didn't come in sooner. You can't win. The only thing you can do is push harder. If you feel unwell, switch docs. They are all different and you may find one with an approach that suits your needs. I should have done that a bit more. Then I wouldn't have been running a fever and feeling like crap on Christmas day. I feel your pain. I hope you don't have to get too bad before someone really listens to you. Take care and look forward to hearing back from you.

I forgot to add: I had periods of time where I felt better too. I think that is pretty normal. For a while i would feel terrible, then I would get better. Then back to feeling bad. Now I pretty much feel bad most of the time.

Last edited by hillaryb; 12-25-2005 at 05:16 PM.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
(female)

pams37 HB User

Hello Hillary,I'm so sorry to hear that you are really sick.Wowww,stay strong ok.At least now the doctors beleive you and now you can get help.
Yes in Sept and Oct I tooo had fevers(lowgrade fevers)plus chills and back aches and I guess you do feeel like it's the flu.Except only problem is,every-one thinks you are faking it(becuase some doctors don't seem to care and don't take the time to help you)
You would not beleive alll the ultrasounds I have had since Sept(one ultrasound every month)
Plus major blood work(still getting blood work done)and now I need a Chest X-ray done.
Then in the summer I will need another ultrasound done on my ovaries and uterus(funnn)
Ok I just wanted to say hiii and good luck this Wed.Please let me know what they find.Ok take care and I will be praying for you.
Happy New Year Tooo.
Love always Pamela Isidori

Old 12-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
(female)

pams37 HB User

Helllo Hillary,could I ask you a question.
Ok now I told you how in Dec (after my 2nd)ultrasound on my ovaries(they finally found a smalll cyst)ovarian cyst.
But my right ovary was good.No cyst found.Just my left ovary they said was way out there(I don't know if that's normal or what)
But they say it's not supposed to hurt when they put the wand(what ever that thing is called)to check your ovaries.
Yes it hurt reallly reallly bad.Ok she spent like 10 mins on the left side.Plus she was going deeper and deeper inside me with that stick(or wand)then she saw my face(I turned red and actually my face also had a rash on it after)some-times that happpens.When I'm in pain like reallly reallly bad then after I'm done either it's my face that's flushed or I get rash alll over my face.
But then it went away within an hr(the rash)so she saw how tense I was and how the deeper she went the more pain I was in.I wanted to take the thing out of me.Then she said sorrry.She told me,your ovary is way out there and I neeed to get closer to it to check it out.
Ok get this.Then she did my right ovary.There was nooo pain and she just went near it and then I was alll done.But that was the worse ultrasound I ever ever ever had.It felt like you know when you drink water and you feeel like you are going to let it out when they are doing ultrasound.How much pain you are in and alll you are thinking about is let this be over so I can get every-thing out of me.That's exactly how it felt for me.A nightmare.
But get this.Today I started my period(since March I am always always every 26 days)wellll today is 29 days and I have nooo pains(but heavy bleeding)but some months the pain is so bad then one month I have no pain at alll.Then the next 2-3 months willl be pains and pains during the whole month tooo.
Seee after that ultrasound(I was on day 3 of my period with the ultrasound)so the period I had was so bad.They knew I was in pain with ultrasound tooo.Plus my doctor said the ultrasound found a lot of gas inside me.Gas in alll my organs(I had ultrasound done on Pelvis plus on alll my organs tooo)so they found gas every-where and I was in major major pain.But then the next day(day after period ended)noo more pains.Bowels back to normal.My bladder back to normal.Noo more running to washroom every 5mins alll day.I'm basically back to normal.But what I need to know is if I don't have cyst on Right ovary then could it be my right ovary for this period where eggg is coming out(you know what I mean)
Ok if you have ovarian cyst on one ovary only.Does it mean when you have nooo pains at alll,could it be because it's my right ovary now where egg is coming from.
I heard that some-times people who have cyst only on one ovary then some-times they don't have pains and noo period pains either.It's just so weird.But see there are some months where the pain is so bad(for like 2 months)then one month where every-thing is great.Then right when period is over then for the start of new cycle I have pain again.
Could you telll me if you know how it works.Or if you have cyst are you in pain nooo mattter what.
It still hurts when I have sex.But for me it's only becuase of my husband going deeep.The deeper the more painfulll.It still happens but I have no period cramps and noo pains at alll for Dec.
Ok I willl let you go now.
Good luck tomorrow with the doctors.
Talk soon.
Love Pamela

Old 01-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
(female)

pams37 HB User

Hello Hillary,Happy New year.
I hope things are going good for you.
I was just wondering how the ultrasound went.
Ok take care.hope to hear from you.
Love your friend.Pamela

Closed Thread