It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
(female)

tinker_belle HB User
Question Negative Biopsy, but still scheduled for LEEP

Hi
I have been reading different posts on this board since I had my first abnormal pap in May 2005. That pap was ascus; can not rule out hgsil and my gyn had me go in for a colposcopy and he did a biospy of one spot. That came back negitive and I went back in Nov. 2005 for a follow-up pap, since the doctor felt keeping an eye on things was the best course of action. The Nov. pap came back showing high grade cells (sorry, my office doesn't use the CIN grading, so I don't know the correspondance) and I went for another colposcopy and this time a biopsy of 3 spots. I bleed alot the second time, and the doctor said he felt he'd need to do a leep based on the visual and the amount of blood. At that time he said I'd bleed so much he was concerned about more blood vessils (sp?) in the area which happens if the lesions are growing, your body actually grows new blood vessils in the area to feed the little buggers. At any rate, a nurse from the office calls Tuesday night and says the biopsy came back negative and come back in 4 months for a follow up pap. I questioned her relentlessly and demanded the doctor call me, just because this path report didn't jive with what he'd seen or told me. Just to be clear my gyn is a very straightforward type of person, so I knew something was off. The doctor calls me back on Wednesday and we had a long conversation, it seems my biopsy was clear in all 3 sites, but he still wants to do the leep because he is concerned that there might be abnormal cells further up in the canal or below the surface skin where the punch can not get to them. We then discussed kids and if I'd like to get pregnant and he told me he feels confident he can 'get it all' in a conservative way now, preserving my fertiltiy.
It's been two days and I think the reality of a LEEP (thanks to all of you who post here so honestly) is setting in. I'm freaking out in a big way and wonder if any one else out there has been in my situation and has a LEEP / would have a LEEP? I trust my doctor and he is fabulous when it comes to answering questions, but he is on vacation at the moment and won't be back until Monday. Besides that, I find that the folks who post here are very well versed and give straight forward information.
Thanks in advance,
MJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
(female)

serenity26 HB User
Re: Negative Biopsy, but still scheduled for LEEP

Better safe than sorry. Sides don't worry about the pregnancy thing, leep's don't really affect it. The only thing would be a weak cervix and difficulty carrying to term, but the doc's have a surgery that helps with that so its not really an issue anymore.

Honestly, I had my leep awake (although my doc wrote me a script for a xanyx and a vicodin to take before) and I have to say the colposcopy is worse. Its totally nervewracking, but really I equate it to bad dental work. It's not that bad. Cramps for a few days, light period like thing for a couple weeks. Good to go in a month as far as sex and all that.

Try not to worry. Take folic acid to help produce healthy cells when healing. Hope this helps. Oh and my doc wanted to do a second one b/c I had high grade cells so deep and I went ahead and did it. I would much rather suffer through a couple leeps than have full blown cancer and all that comes with it...chemo...hystorectomy...

Closed Thread