I have just recently gotten high grade abnormal results back from my pap smear and have been told I must have a colposcopy urgently. While many people I know have reassurred me that I have nothing to worry about, I have recently become TOTALLY panicky about the whole thing. I was involved in an abusive relationship for many years (8) which I ended at the beginning of this year, but one of the results of this relationship was that I sadly negelcted my pap smear for waaaaaaaay toooooo long. I know It is only myself that can ultimately take responsibility for this lack of action but as my ex was very controlling I found it very difficult to think of things like pap smears. So the last pap smear I had was about 4 or 5 years ago before the birth of my second child who is 3 now
I know how bad this is already, please, no lectures! I am 24 years old and have been sexually active since about 16 or 17. So a few weeks ago I finally got it together and had my pap.....and got called back with the abnormal results. I know this still sounds like nothing to worry about, but what is concerning me are these symptoms listed below which I have had for about a year and a half, to two years.
1. abnormally long painful heavy periods.
2. pain inside during intercourse when penis is fully inserted (Sorry for graphic detail)
3. more discharge than usual (I never used to get any) quite mucousy, but a light colour and no bad smell.
4. spotting between periods/ after periods.
5. more recently, after vigourous sex, i have pink discharge, very light bleeding/ clearish mucous with blood in for 4 or 5 days afterwards (had the same thing after my pap smear)
6. annoying period like subtle lower back and pelvic pain occasionally.
7. Lack of appetite and total inabiltity to gain any weight - I am 176 cms tall and weigh 49kg - no matter what I eat I can't gain weight and don't feel paticularly hungry. I forced myself to eat a packet of cookies last week (obviously not all I ate) and if anything I feel like i may have lost half a kilo since then. I have a naturally fast metabolism and slim build but normally weigh 55 to 60kgs - at the moment I am getting harassed by family and friends over how skinny I am. this problem has been happening in the last 8 months or so
8. I have had all STD screening and have no genital disorders of any kind that should be causing this - no bladder or urinary tract infections, I do not have thrush or anything like that.
PHEW. So basically my questions for you all are -
1. I am awaiting appointment details from the public health system re the colocscopy i have been told to have after the abnormal results. My gp knows nothing of the symptoms I have mentioned as I have always previously attributed them to child birth problems. Should i just wait for the public health system to sort things out (which may take a couple of months), should I go back to my gp and tell her the symptoms, or should I go into a state of panic and get private treatment straight away? Any advice would be appreciated.
2. For those of you who have been told they have cervical cancer, should I be worried about the symptoms I have mentioned?
THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE