It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

kerrie29 HB User
can it be ovarian cancer? i'm begining to worry

hi everyone,

my name is kerrie. I posted on the women's health board about a month ago when i first learned of what they found in my sono. Now i'm here because I started researching ovarian cancer and have quite a few symptoms. I guess I should start there. About eight months ago intercourse started to hurt like heck, and I began to get a period every other month. I had pain in my lower right side but I just figured it was par for the course since i had had kidney stones in May of 04. I started to have night sweats and became tired easily and just thought that was part of getting older. What finally got me to the doctors was i am constantly sick and wanted to know what was going on. Not to mention the lymphnode on the back of my neck is growing slowly and steady. Any way the doctor informed me that I had not had a pap in over two years and really should have one. So I did, during the exam I was in alot of pain. We discovered two lumps in my right breast very painful ones. So it was off to the sono and mammogram. My results from that are as follows Right breast has two cysts and a swollen lymphnode which is stated to be probably benign. Sono stated that I have cysts on both ovaries and in my uterus, also they saw signs of andenomyosis, and some thing that looks like Asherman syndrome which is apparently the walls of my uterus fusing together( really I'm not sure) anyway I went to see a gyn and she really sucked. She didn't examine me and picked at her fingures while I told her all my symptoms. Her final thought was To put me on birth control so I don't have any more periods, send me for an MRI , and see me in 3 months. Oh and she also informed me that I was too young to get cancer.( I'm 30 and cancer runs in my family like the plague.) So after that my husband and i agreed to get a second opinion at John's Hopkins when I called their womens clinic and told them my sono results they directed me to their gyn. oncology dept. After that I really started to worry, since all the doctors here have acted as if all this is nothing. In the mean time I look like I'm pregnant, I have heart burn ( which I have never to rarely had in my life) plus gas and feeling like I'm stuffed even after I eat a bagel, I'm still in pain, and exhuasted. Though today was a good day. I always have to go the bathroom and I feel pressure in my rectal area, I go to the bathroom 2-3 times a day its either very soft , diarehha, or constipation.( sorry to be graphic) So I had my MRI today and now I just wait. I have felt bad for so long that I'm not sure what I'll do if i start to feel better. I'm sorry for all the whining, I just needed to get it all out and hopefully someone here is going through the same and can maybe lend some advice for I have know idea what to expect when we go to Hopkins on Jan. 12. Or what to ask. At this point in time I think I'm crazy and its all in my head.

Thanks ahead of time to all who respond
keep smiling
kerrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Re: can it be ovarian cancer? i'm begining to worry

Hi Kerrie,

I am sorry that you are in so much pain. I do not think it is all in your head. Something is causing your bloating and pain. And other things too. Just try to keep busy until the 12th. Then you will not worry as much! I cannot help you as far as information. I had cysts on my ovaries, but they eventually went away. The last time I had a vaginal ultrasound, they could not see my ovaries, because my bowels were so enlarged with gas! So, I am going to get another one done in January, might have to take gas-x before, tho.

If cancer runs in your family, you are right to go to Johns Hopkins. That is a very, very good hospital too! Be assured that you are now in very good hands!

If you can, just try to relax and think positive. It may not be possible, but try not to keep looking things up on the internet. It will probably just make you more scared!

Be sure and report back after your dr. appt. Hopefully more people with experience and knowledge will talk in the am.

Take care.

Wannabe

Old 01-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

imoan HB User

Hi Kerrie,
I just joined & saw your posting. Having gone thru this whole experience & surviving Ovarian cancer, i'd love to lend support. What did they say after your visit to the Gyn Oncologist (which is the right dr. to see) at John Hopkins? You are welcome to ask me any questions. I've been there, done that.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
(female)

krisdance83 HB User

Hi there. I've had very similar symptoms. I've been sick on and off for about two years and there has been no diagnosis. It's mostly just been a "sick and tired" kind of feeling, but I also have a lot of intestinal upset which was diagnosed as gastroparesis. In the last month or so, the bloating in my abdomen has gotten worse and worse, and I have sharp shooting pains on both sides that feels like ovulation but happens all month. My stools are almost always soft, but not usually diarrhea. Today I had a CA-125 blood test for ovarian cancer, and monday I will have a pelvic ultrasound.
I am 22 years old and extremely nervous. I just wanted to give you some support and tell you that you aren't alone. And imoan, congratulations on beating the cancer. Could you tell me a little bit about what led you to get tested, symptoms, and what you went through with it? Thank you so much.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
(female)

imoan HB User

hi Krisdance,
How was your CA125 test. You should get results in a day or two. What is the number? What about the sonogram? If you still don't get a good answer ask for an obdominal CT scan. Sometimes its the only test taht will show Ovarian Cancer if it moved to the abdominal cavity. Don't stop asking questions. Change doctors if you don't get answers that make sense. Let me know. Imoan

Old 02-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
(female)

krisdance83 HB User

Hi, thanks for asking. I just got the results a few hours ago. He said that it was a new form of the CA-125, and that the range is from 0-20, and mine was 18. I know it is riduculous, but 18 is pretty close to the "abnormal" range so it still makes me nervous. The other thing is that I read that the CA-125 is not very accurate by itself. That it produces a lot of false positives and false negatives, and that it doesn't detect Stage I very well. So I am not convinced. I still have the ultrasound on Monday so we'll see. You think the CT scan is better than the ultrasound?? My belly is just so bloated and it is driving me nuts. The area that feels like my ovaries is always "pinching" and cramping (however not overly painful). And I've had "gastroparesis" over a year, which is basically indigestion and upset stomach, which are also symptoms. I would never "hope" to have ovarian cancer, that would be crazy, but if I DID have it it would explain a lot of weird things that have been going on with me for two years now. Do you think that the ultrasound will explain what is going on? I don't know what to ask for, and it seems that the doc is so sure by just the blood test. how do these doctors not know that the blood test is not completely accurate? they pretty much think i'm crazy.
Thank you for responding, and for your advice!

Old 02-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
(female)

peacecircle HB User

I can understand your feeling of just wanting to know what is going on. I have not had you symptoms and just have a slight pain on the left side or a low pelvic ache...some days nothing at all. And I have only had mine for about two months, so I can imagine how frustrated you must be not knowing what the problem is, after this length of time.

I had the CA125 (the doctor told me anything under 35 is OK) and mine was 12. I also had an ultrasound....they could not find the ovaries, even though the doctor had felt that the left one was slightly enlarged (and painful on examination), so I had to have a transvaginal ultrasound. The results showed no irregularities in the pelvis. The left ovary is a bit larger than the right but both are within normal range of size. The lining of the uterus is quite normal. All blood tests came back normal and no indication of infection.

Yet, I still have the intermittent left sided discomfort and the low pelvic ache. We are going to leave it for a week or two as I am still waiting the results of the pap smear. But I would have been more relieved had we found the cause of the problem.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
(female)

imoan HB User

Hi Krisdance,
I had a vaginal ultrasound & it showed that my ovaries looked perfectly fine. At that time I was already full of cancer cells. My cancer developed in the abdominal cavity (one of its favorite places). I had all the symtoms that you are having. The only thing that explained it so clearly was an abdominal CT Scan. It was as clear as day. If you don't get satisfactory answers, ask for a CT Scan. Be your own advocate & push. Get that theory out of the way.Switch Dr. if you have to. See an OBG/Oncologist. They really know what to look for better than the reg GYN. Keep in touch, Imoan

Old 02-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
(female)

krisdance83 HB User

Ok, thank you. I'm gonna try for the CT scan, and I'll let you know what happens!!

Closed Thread