It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

glorydaz HB User
Pregnant with cervical cancer

Hi everyone. I had abnormal paps all throughout the pregnancy with my youngest son and he will be two in a few weeks. They did a biopsy in August of 2004 and all looked OK. I had not been back until about a month ago when I found out I was pg. Well the pap came back worse and they did a colposcopy and three biopsy's. One of the biopsy is cancerous and another one is questionable. I have an apt to see an oncologist in two days. My OBGYN seems to think that there should be not problem with me being pg. She said they will do a cone biopsy in my 2nd trimester and if they get it all I can deliver vaginally if not they will take the baby early via C-section and give me a hysterectomy. Is a cone biopsy the same as a leep.

I don't know what stage I am in yet that will be my first question with the oncologist but do you ladies have any questions you think I should be asking. I worry about my baby, I am only 12 weeks pregnant. My cousin is an OBGYN and handles high risk pregnancies in another state. He assures me everything will be OK and he has seen a lot of this but I am still scared.

Thanks,

Willie

Old 01-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: Pregnant with cervical cancer

Big hugs to you glorydaz, this is a very stressful time for you (big understatement!!!). I am so glad you are seeing an oncologist, they are the experts, and hopefully he/she will be able to come up with a good action plan for you and your baby.

Leep and cone biopsy...the LEEP is the wire loop which cauterizes as it removes the tissue. The cold knife cone biopsy uses a scalpel and requires stitches. You may want to ask the gyn-onc more about these two techniques. Definately explore all your options, I'm not sure if they will be able to assign a stage based solely on the biopsy, the oncologist will likely do an exam. The biopsy is usually just a piece of the tissue, the LEEP and the cone are designed to take out all the affected tissue, which can then be measured by pathology.

I hope the next two days go by quickly for you and that you get some good answers and support from the oncologist. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
(female)

glorydaz HB User

Thanks Karen. I appreciate your answers, this is still very new to me. Will the oncologist be able to tell me what stage it is in after an exam. He will be examining me on Wed.

Thanks again,

Willie

Old 01-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
(female)

specialbabies HB User
Exclamation Re: Pregnant with cervical cancer

I sorry (((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) I do understand, I watched my nana
get sick (she raised me), my mom is ok though, and Ive had cancer too, early
enough just to cut it out- no meds were needed, that happened 3 times. I was
in stage CIN II cervical cancer. I hope the best for you. Im a 28yr old epileptic ( 29 in March )

Had cancer cut out in 1996, 1999, 2000 during a colposcopy, I was a
Teenager.

Good Luck

Last edited by specialbabies; 01-02-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

glorydaz, I'm not sure, he/she may be able to give you a guesstimate. Pathology is the true indicator. do you know if your punch biopsy came back showing invasive cancer or pre-cancer? There is a great deal of difference between the two. Pre-cancer has four levels - mild (CIN 1), moderate (CIN 2), severe (CIN 3) and carcinoma in situ (CIS - meaning literally "cancer in place", however this is not usually considered invasive as it has not gone beyond the confines of the cervix yet). Pre-cancer has a few different treatment options, and usually during pregnancy, they will monitor to see if there is progression, and then do treatment if necessary. Microinvasive cancer is Stage 1a1 (which is what I had). Depth of invasion is no greater than 3mm.

One thing you may want to do is request your reports, sometimes it helps to see things on paper, and then be able to research it and know what you are dealing with.

I can't give you an answer as to whether or not the oncologist will be able to tell you a stage, I honestly do not know. If he does NOT give you a stage, be sure to ask why. big hugs to you!

Karen

Old 01-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
(female)

specialbabies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen32
glorydaz, I'm not sure, he/she may be able to give you a guesstimate. Pathology is the true indicator. do you know if your punch biopsy came back showing invasive cancer or pre-cancer? There is a great deal of difference between the two. Pre-cancer has four levels - mild (CIN 1), moderate (CIN 2), severe (CIN 3) and carcinoma in situ (CIS - meaning literally "cancer in place", however this is not usually considered invasive as it has not gone beyond the confines of the cervix yet). Pre-cancer has a few different treatment options, and usually during pregnancy, they will monitor to see if there is progression, and then do treatment if necessary. Microinvasive cancer is Stage 1a1 (which is what I had). Depth of invasion is no greater than 3mm.

One thing you may want to do is request your reports, sometimes it helps to see things on paper, and then be able to research it and know what you are dealing with.

I can't give you an answer as to whether or not the oncologist will be able to tell you a stage, I honestly do not know. If he does NOT give you a stage, be sure to ask why. big hugs to you!

Karen

You are correct Karen, and even gave me some info, in 1998 I was pregnant and could not remove the tissue until after his birth and my 6 week ck up(when bleeding stopped) Dr. did not want premiture labor. I had my colposcopy and the tissue cut out. Being as this has happened 3 times and cervical cancer is in the family, and my seizure meds can make me more at risk, how do I stay safe other than a yearly pap?

Old 01-03-2006, 05:09 AM   #7
(female)

glorydaz HB User

Yes I do know that the one biopsy came back cancerous. To be honest when she called me and I heard that word everything else she said just sounded like jiberish. I was in shock. I will get more answers tomorrow. My OBGYN had called this oncologist about me and asked if he would take me. Thanks again for your help.

Willie

Old 01-03-2006, 07:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

glorydaz, I hope you have a good meeting with the oncologist tomorrow and get some answers. I truly hope that yours has been caught early enough that they can do the cone and then wait until after the baby is born to do further treatment. There are a few good resources out there regarding pregnancy and cervical cancer, I sure wish I could post some of the websites for you to check out, but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed. Be very picky about the information you read online, though. Sometimes you have to sift through a bunch of not so good information to get to the good stuff. Have you got a list of questions for your oncologist? It sometimes helps if you write them down and then just hand them to the doc and let them answer.

Many thoughts coming your way.

Karen

Old 01-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
(female)

glorydaz HB User

I do have a list, thanks. My husband made sure I wrote them all down and he is going with me to make sure that they are all answered. I have a tendancy to get in the office and forget everything. After everything I have read I am going to try and not have the cone biopsy done while I am pregnant. I would rather them wait and take the baby a little early. I just want to do whats best for my baby. I will get more answers tomorrow. You have been so helpful and so kind. Its nice to have somewhere to go where people understand.

Willie

Old 01-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #10
(female)

specialbabies HB User

do what is going to be safe for both your wife and baby, good luck.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
(female)

cambria HB User

I'm sorry that I can't really answer your questions (the others have done a great job!), just wanted to say that I really hope it all turns out well for you! Please let us know what happens! God Bless!

Old 01-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
(female)

chalea HB User

Hey there. Well, I totally understand what you are going through. I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in situ when I was pregnant. I had my first cone biopsy when I was 15 weeks. I was really worried that if it were invasive I would have to have an immediate hysterectomy. It was not. And my doctor told me the chances of it being invasive were very slim. After that cone, the oncologist wanted them to keep a close eye on me so I had to have a pap and biopsy every 2 months. My very next pap after my first cone was positive again for carcinoma in situ. I was scheduled for my 2nd cone biopsy at 24 weeks of pregnancy. This procedure once again went very well. The margins at this point were clear. My doctor decided to induce me 4 weeks early and then I went back 6 weeks later for a hysterectomy. My baby is healthy and I'm feeling great just 3 weeks now after my surgery. I know this is a trying time and I hope you are comforted knowing that someone else went through the same thing and things turned out great. If you have any questions, just post it and i will be happy to respond.

Closed Thread