HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-cervical-ovarian/)
-   -   It's that time again for me, too...kind of scared (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-cervical-ovarian/354230-its-time-again-me-too-kind-scared.html)

cambria 01-05-2006 09:06 AM

It's that time again for me, too...kind of scared

This last July, I had an abnormal pap that showed high-grade dysplasia. After the colposcopy, it turned out to not be so severe, and I had cryotherapy to treat it. My follow-up pap is coming up here in a few weeks. I'm so nervous... I really don't want to go through all that again. Not that it especially hurt a lot or anything, it was just uncomfortable and scary. (Not to mention kind of expensive and I don't have insurance.)

How many of you out there had a normal pap following cryo or a LEEP? I'm feeling really down about all of this because I know that I could have normal paps for a while, but then it could start up again. It's like I'm never going to feel at ease about it because I know it can pop up again at literally any time. :( Anybody have any reasurrance?

serenity26 01-05-2006 07:03 PM

Re: It's that time again for me, too...kind of scared

Don't worry too much. It gets easier. Except for the week between the pap and the results and I don't think that'll ever change for us! Anyway, about 16 months ago I had 2 leeps ( 1 in aug, 1 in sept) and have had a normal, abnormal, normal, normal in my followups. The abnormal might have been scar tissue or a few cells that later righted themselves. Hope that helps. Just go in regularly and take folic acid.

Lauri8 01-06-2006 01:49 AM

Hi :wave: I had LEEP in 2003 and all my follow up paps have been clear since then. I am scheduled to go for my next pap on January 24. Back in 2003 when I began posting on this forum, there were lots of different people also posting, who were either waiting for a LEEP or had just had one done. I have not seen any posts from these people for the past 2 years - a sign that obviously things have gone well for them and they have had no recurrence. I make a point of letting everyone know the results of my follow up paps to give reassurance to people just like you. Mine have all been clear so far and hopefully I will be able to say the same after my next one at the end of the month. I have faith that yours will be just fine as well. I have a friend who was treated for CINII with cyrosurgery 4 years ago and has had clear paps since then. I hope this gives you some reassurance. I will be thinking of you and praying your pap is clear. Please do the same for me. Love & Peace :angel:

glorydaz 01-06-2006 01:16 PM

I have never had either but am scheduled for a cone biopsy in a few weeks. I know what you mean about being scared. I hope it all goes OK for you and just try your best not to think about it to much. I know easier said then done.

Selene71 01-09-2006 06:30 AM

Hi there :)

I had cryotherapy last February. My follow-up pap was clear, and my last pap in December was clear. So now my doc gave me the go-ahead to skip my 6 month pap and I can wait until next December. :)

Good luck with your follow-up...I know it's a stressful time.

Carissa1 01-09-2006 02:05 PM

Hi,

I also am going in for my first pap in two weeks. I had a leep done on the 2nd Dec, up till now I have not thought about it but now that the time is getting closer you are right... I also am starting to think about the results and that I dont want to go through all that again, especially so soon...

But I think I have a good feeling, dont stress about it, what will be will be.. stress only does bad things to your body so at this stage try not to worry too much.

Have you been taking vitamins and eating healthy. I think I have turned into a health freak, which I guess is good :-)

Good Luck

RoseyLady 01-10-2006 08:45 PM

I thought the recovery from surgery would be the hardest part... and it was uncomfortable, slightly painful at first. But through all this, the hardest part for me has actually been the nervous anticipation and waiting for the pap and biopsy results. Not knowing is hard, but knowing your going to find out soon and waiting for that moment of yes or no, ok or not ok, is probably the hardest thing I've ever gone through in my life. But if you can get through that, I feel you can get through any of it. Love, courage, and the knowledge that your doing all you can, that's what can get you through. Because knowing, is the first step.

Good luck and good health everyone. I'm waiting for my own results from todays followup pap. Heh, can you tell? *hugs*

cambria 01-26-2006 12:58 PM

Hi everyone! I just wanted to let you all know how much you helped me. :) I think I've done a pretty good job of NOT stressing too much about this. I just had my pap this last Monday and the doctor said I will probably get the results at the beginning of next week. But I'm handling it really well so far and I'm proud of myself.

My doctor said that even if this pap comes back abnormal, as long as it's not more severe than the previous, they don't treat it and then I come back in three months for another pap because sometimes they can come back slightly abnormal just because the cervix is still healing. Then if that next pap comes back abnormal too, it'll probably be treated then. So that was somewhat of a relief. I've been taking a multivitamin for a month now, which I should have started a long time ago.. but I guess better late than never.

I'll for sure let you all know what my results are, and I hope you'll all do the same for me! I'd like to know how you're all doing.

Thanks again for reassuring me and helping me get through this!! God bless you all! :angel:

cambria 01-31-2006 11:09 AM

Re: It's that time again for me, too - UPDATE

Well I got my pap results back today, and the nurse said it looked really good! She said there was only a *very* slight abnormality (is that ASCUS? I can't remember) and that usually when they see that, it's usually just due to the fact that the cervix is still healing. She said that usually when it's so slightly abnormal like that, it's usually clear at the next follow-up. So that's good news!! Yaaaay! :bouncing: I don't really understand [I]everything[/I] about it all, but she said there's no actual displaysia. I'm so happy. :) I'm gonna continue to take my vitamins and eat well (and start exercising) and hopfully my next pap in May will be normal. Thank you all again for your encouragement!

cambria 01-31-2006 11:09 AM

Re: It's that time again for me, too - UPDATE

Well I got my pap results back today, and the nurse said it looked really good! She said there was only a *very* slight abnormality (is that ASCUS? I can't remember) and that usually when they see that, it's usually just due to the fact that the cervix is still healing. She said that usually when it's so slightly abnormal like that, it's usually clear at the next follow-up. So that's good news!! Yaaaay! :bouncing: I don't really understand [I]everything[/I] about it all, but she said there's no actual displaysia. I'm so happy. :) I'm gonna continue to take my vitamins and eat well (and start exercising) and hopfully my next pap in May will be normal. Thank you all again for your encouragement!

s.g. 01-31-2006 05:43 PM

I was 19 and when I had my first pap. It came back abnormal and I found out after further tests and a biopsy that I had advanced cervical dysplasia. I was 19 so i was completely freaked out. Most people don't go to the gyno for the first time and then find this out. Anyways I had all of the surgical procedures. i was a little uncomfortable for a week and then I went back every 3 months for a year for paps. Everything was fine. I am now on a yearly schedule and I have never had a problem. That was 10 years ago. Don't worry you will be ok. It is more common than you think you just don't hear other women talking about it. You will be alright. Just relax get plenty of rest and thank god it was caught in time. My Dr. said it could have been worse if I waited much longer. You will be fine.