It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
(female)

mamicita06 HB User
does a negative/abnormal pap mean infertility?

i just had a question about pap smears...
is it only cervial cancer that it detects?
can a person with cervial cancer ever get pregnancy or be regular?

Old 01-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
(female)

serenity26 HB User
Re: does a negative/abnormal pap mean infertility?

They detect cellular changes that can lead to or have already led to cervical cancer. This does not affect fertility or pregnancy unless a hysterectomy or other drastic measures are taken. Treatment for precancerous cells may lead to a weaken cervix, which doctors have help for that in order for women to carry to term.

Yes after abnormal results you can (and probably will) have normal results later in life. I have had abnormal, then 2 LEEP procedures, and following that a normal, abnormal, normal, normal for my next 4 pap's.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
(female)

nagould HB User
Re: does a negative/abnormal pap mean infertility?

An abnormal pap smear should not affect your ferility. Like a previous poster, some treatments whedre cervical tissue may impact carrying the pregnancy, but they can monitor that pretty closely and deal with any issues that come up.

On a personal note, I had my first cryosurgery 10 months after my daughter was born. I continued to get abnormal pap smears, and surprisingly I got pregnant two days before my second cryosurgery (obviously we didn't know at the time of the procedure). I just had my mid-pregnancy ultrasound today and the little guy is doing just great...so yes, you can go on to have a healthy pregnancy.

Best of luck

Closed Thread