It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
(female)

squarah HB User
Cervical Carcinoma In Situ.

Is this cancer or not?

Some sites say it is, and some say it's not. Would someone be able to clear this confusion up for me?

Old 01-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Alyss HB User
Re: Cervical Carcinoma In Situ.

The vast vast bulk of all I have read says carcinoma in situ is not cancer. It will become cancer, but it is not cancer, and that is a difference with real meaning in medical terms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 03:45 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

Hi squarah, I think carcinoma in situ means that there are some cancerous cells but they are confined to the cervix and therefore a LEEP procedure would often be enough to get rid of them.

I don't think it is classed as invasive cancer until the cancerous cells have penetrated through the cervix to other organs and then it would take surgery and other treatments to try and get rid of the cancer.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
(female)

jamieleigh HB User

hi - the two posts are correct - this is what I had a year ago before my leep procedure - the abnormal cells are contained in your cervix and a leep is needed to remove them. - a cone biopsy should be done to see how deep the abnormal cells are before the leep then the doctor will know how much of your cervix is to be taken. Good luck to you and a Leep procedure and biopsy are really simple and nothing to be worried about. And if you are worried about future children - talk with your doctor - like I said I had this in 2004 had the leep and the doctor took alot of my cervix - however I am 29 weeks pregnant today so good luck to you again.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
(female)

renau2e HB User

JaimieLeigh,
I am having a LEEP/Laser (combined two surgeries at once to be sure everything gets cleared up on the first try) in one week. I am also getting married tomorrow ... we wnated to have children right away, but because of the surgery I was told I have to wait a while to get pregnant. How long did your doctor tell you to wait to try concieve ... and did you have any trouble at all?? No miscarriage, etc.?
Thanks for your help!

Sarah

Old 01-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
(female)

renau2e HB User

Hey Jamieleigh,

I guess whatever you wrote wasn't exactly allowed to be posted, but I'm still wondering if you have any information for me
Thanks so much!!
Sarah
Ps- Our wedding was amazing ... I'm now officially a "Mrs."

Old 02-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
(female)

Stefanie48 HB User

The way my doctor has explained this to me is that it is considered borderline. It is not cancer but there is a very good chance that if not treated it will become cancer. I just had a cold cone biopsy done alittle over a week ago an the results came back as high grade dysplasia (CIN II and CIN III), including the presents of carcinoma in situ. Hope this helps you some. Good luck.

Last edited by Stefanie48; 02-10-2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 03-06-2006, 04:31 AM   #8
(female)

squarah HB User

Hi all. Back with update

I had the leep on 23rd Jan. Results were CIN3, but no evidence of cancer Yay.

Thanks for all the replies

Old 03-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #9
(female)

cherry1952 HB User

Carcinoma In Situ is not cancer. It is per-cancer which means you will get cancer if it is not taken care of. The post about not being invasive unless it has spead to other organs is false.

When cancer spreads to other organs it becomes a metastatic disease. When and if cervical cancer invades deeper layers of the cervix it is then invasive cancer.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:49 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

What I said in my post was perfectly correct.

Carcinoma in Situ means "cancer in place".

The cells are cancerous but they have not have yet broke through the lining of the cervix, which would then be classed as invasive.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #11
(female)

cherry1952 HB User

Malibu, you also said that "It doesn't become invasive until it penetrates through the cervix and effects other ORGANS..I pointed out that when cancer had spread to other organs it is then a metastatic disease....Cervical cancer becomes invasive when it penetrates deeper layers of the cervix not when it has spread to other organs...I had cervical cancer in 1995 and had 2 major surgeries and radiation, mine was invasive but not metastatic..

Closed Thread