It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

emilyrae HB User
Question Should I switch doctors?

New here so a little info. I am 27 years old. I found out when I was pregnant with my seventh child that my pap was abnormal. They ran the HPV virus which showed I carried the strand that was common for cervical cancer. My ob decided to do a colpo, originally with out a biopsy. Before the colpo was done the ob told me that I was on the border of mild dysplasia to nothing at all.
Then he did the colpo he didn't go into much detail with me about anything. He ended up doing a superficial biopsy. All he said to me when he was doing the colpo is that it looked like it was more advanced than just the nothing at all to mild dysplasia. I had to wait until my next appointment to find out the results, no phone call, in fact, I had to ask the doctor myself what the results were. I was never given a level I,II or III. He just said dysplasia. I am new to this and didn't realize there were different levels.
My ob told me that after I had my baby he would wait 6-8 weeks and do the LEEP procedure. My daughter is now 6 weeks old I go this Thursday to have "something" done. My doctor told me it was a colpo. Again, he didn't elaborate.
My questions are. I know they do the colpo when they do the LEEP, could that be what he is doing? Or could he just be going to see if it is still there?
Can moderate dysplasia(I'm guessing that is what I have, again, I was given NO specifics) go away?
Is it normal for a doctor not to be specific? He is an awesome OB and he is has been practicing forever. I am just wondering why I feel like I am in the dark. He just kept saying it wasn't a big deal. And since he is the doctor I believed him. But now I am terrified. I am just wondering if I should cancel and see if I can see a different doctor in his practice that specializes in this.
AND if I am having the LEEP, do I need someone there with me to drive me home? I have 6 kids under the age of 8, do I need to find some help with my kids?
I just want to be prepared. And I have been reading so many posts and these ?'s I don't know the answers to. So,thank you and sorry for my ignorance.
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
(female)

serenity26 HB User
Re: Should I switch doctors?

If he said a colposcopy, then that is what you'll be doing (which in itself is really just a tiny biopsy of little tiny bits.)

If the dysplasia has not reverted, still moderate or severe, then they will probably suggest a Leep, which is where they remove the section that has the precancerous cells. Thats what "dysplasia" means: precancerous. I guess a lot of docs aren't using the I, II, III thing anymore. Mine described it as a staircase, ASCUS (abnormal s... cells of undetermined importance) is the first, then mild, moderate, severe and then cancer. She said that most women don't progress up the stairs b/c their immune system fights it off. So like of the women with mild a fraction becomes moderate and of those a fraction will become severe. Alot has to do with how healthy we are.

HPV is the virus that causes warts and the strains that we have don't actually cause warts, but cause cellular changes of a microscopic level. About 80% of sexually active women will get it before age 60. (In other words, don't feel bad) Most people's bodies fight it off on their own. Some don't.

What I am guessing is that the dysplasia was not severe enough to have your doctor suggest risking the pregnancy for doing a Leep. These cellular changes are slow (cervical cancer and leading to it is a very slow cancer) and I am assuming that you were either mild or moderate and that prompted the decision to wait. My only concern is that your doctor seems to not involve you enough in understanding and the decision making.

I found that I get flustered and forget everything i want to ask, so write down your questions now and take them with you. And..call back after if you come up with more questions.

With childbirth, the body tends to send white blood cells and increased immune response to "injured" areas, which could prompt your own body to take care of the cells. Just keep on it and ask questions. Hope this helps clarify some of the terms they throw around.

What I am guessing

Old 01-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
(female)

glorydaz HB User
Re: Should I switch doctors?

When I was pg with my 2 year old I had abnormal paps throughout the pregnancy and I remember my doc saying that sometimes pregnancy can cause that. He did more paps and a colp and biopsy after the baby was born. The biopsy came back OK.

I am sure he wants to do another colp and biopsy to be sure it hasn't cleared itself up. I would make sure to ask all the questions you have and be sure to get clear answers.

My dr then kinda gave me the run around too and I just continued to ask the questions, its your body. I rotate between two OBGYNs when pg and the one that I am dealing with now with my cervical cancer is wonderful and tells me everything, then again she is a women and maybe thats the difference.

Good luck

Willie

Closed Thread