It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User
Mom Diagnosed 5 1/2 years ago (LONG)

I would like to share my story with all of you suffering or have a relative suffering from ovarian cancer.
When I was 8 months pregnant with my 1st daughter my Mom informed me that she was going in for an exploratory surgery as they had found something in somesort of testing that had been done. She was very vague and nonchalont about the whole thing and of course did not want my sisters or I or even my father to attend the surgery. I really was not worried because she seemed so not worried. I took off work anyway just to be safe. The surgery was later in the afternoon, so my husband and I went and had a leasurely lunch and then headed to the hospital. When we arrived I remember going to the front desk and telling the woman there my mothers name. So she did her typing on the computer and found my mothers name and said, "Oh yes, She has been admitted to the Oncology floor. That would be the 5th floor and right now she is in recovery." My husband and I got very quiet as I really thought they had made an honest mistake on that elevator. Well we reached the 5th floor and sitting in the waiting area was my oldest sister (I have 3) crying her eyes out. I very calmly asked her what was going on and she said that the surgeon had just come out and gave them good and bad news. The good news was she came out of surgery great. The bad news she was diagnosed with 4th stage ovarian cancer. It had spread through all of her woman parts, lymphnodes and the lining of her stomach. They did a complete hysterectomy and took out as much as they could. I remember just completley collapsing. I thought here I am getting ready to give birth to my 1st child and I have just been informed that my mother will be dead in 5 years.She was in that hospital for almost 2 weeks and everyday I hiked my big pregnant self into her room and just sat with her. She said she didn't tell me because I was pregnant and she wanted and she didn't want me to worry about anything. What is really scary is my mom always took really good care of herself. She said she only had symtoms for about a month. Weight loss- about 30lbs in a month (at the time she was also doing atkins diet so not much was thought about that) Food aversions and very bloated stomach, such as a pregnant woman. My Mom and I had not been close for a long time but this awful cancer has brought us very close.She went through about 6 chemo treatments. She got to witness the birth of my 1st child in between puking. I thank God for the time that has been given to us as she has witnessed also the birth of my 2nd child. My Mom's cancer for the moment is dormant as she was handed a death sentence of 3-5 years. She celebrated her life anniversary of 5 years on October 8th, 2005. She has the stuburness of a mule and is the strongest woman I know. I now cherish her and love spending time with her. I am just scared of the day they they tell her its back and this time it will kill her. Sorry my story was so long I just thought that the people on this board would appreciate it...
Thank You All For Your Support,

NikNak

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
(female)

texan1771 HB User
Cool Re: Mom Diagnosed 5 1/2 years ago (LONG)

NikNak,

Thanks so much for sharing your story with everyone sounds like your mom AND your family are strong-willed people and i comend yall for that!!! Your mom needs support and to surround herself with positive people now more than ever,sounds like she has that!!! That is awesome,I hope she stays in remission for many more years to come.

Is she going thru any treatments now I am curious?

And keep me posted on her I will keep you and your mom in my prayers thats were it is at,I am a cervical cancer survior of 3 months and that were i gain my comfort...

Bye for now

Old 01-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User
Re: Mom Diagnosed 5 1/2 years ago (LONG)

Texan,
Thank you for responding. My Mom is not recieving any treatment at this time. They basically do blood and catscans to keep an eye on it. I think because she is very active it has helped alot. I really think that attitude and moving on with your life is a big factor in beating this horrific disease. Just stay possitive and don't let it bring you down.
I will keep you in my prayers also.

NikNak

Old 01-26-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
(female)

Marise5 HB User

Hi Nik Nak, Thank you for your story. I am going in for a hysterectomy on valentines day for what they suspect is ovarian cancer. It is very encouraging to read about those, like your Mom, who get through it and go on to live their lives. I read also the other day of an 18 year survivor and still going strong, she had stage 3 and back then they did radiation treatments. All the best wishes to you and your Mom.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:59 AM   #5
(female)

peacecircle HB User

Hi Nik Nak, Thanks for that story, which is so inspirational. I am going for an ultrasound this morning to investigate an enlarged ovary and for a CA125 blood test. Your mother's story encourages me, if mine does indeed turn out to be ovarian cancer. The only symptom I have had is a slight intermittent pain on my left side.....no bloating or other problems. As my husband was dx with advanced rectal cancer two and a half years ago and is to have his annual scan next week, we are really hoping that I do not have any serious problems, especially as our children live thousands of miles away.

I wish you and your mum many years of health and happiness. Good luck to you too, Marise5 on 14th February.

Peacecircle

Old 01-27-2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

WOW- Good luck to both of you. Its going to be a hard road just from surgery alone... Keep your chins up and fight no matter what happens. A little bit of prayers never hurt either.

Nikki

Old 01-28-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
(female)

imoan HB User
Smile Re: Mom Diagnosed 5 1/2 years ago (LONG)

Hi Knick Knack'
So glad to hear that your mother is doing so well. I am a survivor of ovarian cancer for the last 2 years. I lead a full & busy life & do my checkup homework every 6 weeks. The CA125 blood test is the only marker that's used at this point. It seems that today its considered a chronic but manageable illness & new drugs & treatments are discovered all the time. Good luck to all of us.Go girls

Old 03-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
(female)

DDMoore HB User

NikNak, your story hit home, it sounds just like my mom. She has always been healthy and much younger looking than her age. She had the same symptoms, bloatedness around the abdominal cavity, and looked like she was built like a ball player around the chest area. She had never looked that way her whole life. She went in to have her bladder tied and on her followup, the doctor found a sore spot in her ovary. Scheduled her immediately to have it removed and within two weeks it has metastized outside the ovary. When they came to talk to us after the operation, he said "when we see a patient this bad, we usually close them up and know there is nothing we can do for them, but I was compelled to go through with this surgery. I just love that woman she is a sweetheart and she deserves a chance. The surgery took nine hours. It had what he called "mushroomed out" spread through her entire abdomianl cavity and colon. When the doctors opened her up, they said it looked like blobs of oatmeal. It was diagnosed as papilary serous cystoadenocarcinoma. I was told that it never goes away, and my mom was given a life expetency of 3-5 years. She is on year 3 and getting ready to start her third round of chemo. It is not helping. Her ca 125 level drops, then within two months of stopping the chemo the level rises. It is now at 129 this time. During the first operation, they removed all the lymph nodes and found only one with cancer. But it has spread inside to other areas, and another tumor was found four weeks ago, and removed, in the lower part of her colon that they had just reconnected. I fear losing my mom and am just not capable of handling this. My mom has been my closest friend my whole life and she is my whole life. I can't help her. I wish I could take it all away and make her better, but I can't. I drive sometimes to places I have no idea where I am, crying and praying, praying and crying. Begging God to take me and let my mom live a happy healthy life a life she so deserved after she went through bitter divorce and had spent the last 20 years alone. Now she has finally met someone and is happy again and that could all be gone in a minute. It is just not fair. DDMoore

Old 03-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
(female)

DDMoore HB User

I will do that, thank you for the info. Hope all is well. Dyanna

Closed Thread