It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

Stefanie48 HB User
Cold Cone Biopsy

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a cold cone biopsy and can maybe give me some feed back about this. I am scheduled for surgery next Wed. He told me I would have stitches and no heavy lifting for a week. I was wonder to about pain, will I have alot of pain afterwards? I know the day of the surgery I wont be doin much but what about a day or so after? Anything you would know about this would be a help. Thanks

Last edited by Stefanie48; 01-24-2006 at 05:08 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stefanie48 For This Useful Post:
Bella994 (07-17-2012)
Old 01-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: Cold Cone Biopsy

Hi Stefanie. I just read your post on the other board (Cancer: Breast) and wanted to reply to you re: your concerns on having the cold knife cone versus the LEEP. It could be your doctor's preference or his (lack of) access to LEEP equipment. It may sound unlikely that he would not have access to the LEEP, but you never know. The tissue removed via ckc is "histologically superior" to the LEEP in that the edges are not cauterized so they can get a good read on whether or not the tissue contains all the abnormal cells. With the LEEP burning the edges of the tissues, sometimes the margins are obscured and they can't be certain if they got all the cells or not. Definately talk to your doctor about why the ckc has been chosen versus the LEEP.

Do you know the size of your lesion? He may also choose the ckc if the LEEP would need to take more than one pass (thus obscuring the margins again).

I hope this answers some of your questions and concerns. Good luck at your appointment on Monday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #3

BitterNews106 HB User

I postponed my appointment for CKC today (was scheduled for surgery in less than 24 hrs). I was feeling uneasy about the choice of CKC as opposed to LEEP by my GYN. After my meeting with her today it was decided that I should schedule with a GYN oncologist due to my lack of trust in my doctors decision. From this thread, however, I get the message that CKC is more reliable than LEEP.. but does it increase your odds of complications with future pregnancy? I seem to have read that somewhere.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

I think a really important thing to remember is that any procedure that removes tissue from your cervix can increase your odds of complications with pregnancy... HOWEVER, this does NOT mean you will absolutely have complications. Many women have had LEEPs, Cones, laser and gone on to have healthy pregnancies and deliveries. The ob would "measure" your cervix length, and if it looked like it was short, they would put a stitch in called a cerclage. Many women (not only women who have had a cervical procedure) have had a cerclage, if you look up "incompetant cervix" you will get more information. There is also a risk of cervical stenosis, where scar tissue covers the cervical canal and thus won't let anything in or out. I think the incidence of stenosis is quite rare though (but rare can and does happen). The scar tissue may also interfere with cervical dilation, which would then lead to c-section. It is really important to consider all the facts regarding these procedures causing complications, because while the risks are there, the risk of leaving high grade dysplasia alone and not treating it is probably worse.

I think it is good you are going to see a gyn-oncologist for another opinion. Ask your questions regarding LEEP and ckc, get his/her opinion. Both forms of excision are effective, however for diagnostic purposes, the cone is superior. Depends on what level (and type - squamous or glandular) of dysplasia you are dealing with and physician preference. A second opinion can only be a benefit to you. You need to have faith in the procedure that is being performed. If I had even half the information I have now when I was given the LEEP procedure almost two years ago, you can bet I would have been asking many more questions.

Good luck with your appointment.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #5

BitterNews106 HB User

I hope to get the CKC as soon as possible. I was nearly ready to say "go ahead" at my meeting with my doctor. My doctor, however, did not take the time to sit down and talk with me until less than 24 hours before my scheduled surgery. I was still feeling scared with lots of questions. After talking for about 45 minutes she checked her watch and said "well, Im going to cancel this, because I dont have the time to sit here with you and I can't pressure you into surgery." She's done nothing short of abandon me in my time of need. I have an appointment with another doctor tomorrow and an appointment with a gyn/oncologist next week. There is MUCH more to my story, i'll start my own thread for it, I dont want to hijack.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
(female)

Stefanie48 HB User

Thanks for the replies. The reason that he chose the cold cone biopsy is because of the fact that LEEP an laser would not leave a clean edge, as was mentioned already on here. I had the biopsy, an the surgery went well, I had no complications. But I didnt get the best news about the biopsy. I went yesterday to go over my results. It came back as High grade dysplasia (CIN II an CIN III), including the presents of carcinoma in situ. I will be goin in for a hysterectomy on March 1st. I asked to keep my ovaries, which he said would be ok. He is goin to do the laparscopic and from what I understand it will then be removed vaginally. That is unless he has a problem with scar tissue. I think he might have a problem which we have talked about, only because I have had several abdominal surgery. If anyone has a comment about this, I would like to hear it. Also, I would like to hear from anyone who has had a Hysterectomy. What can I expect afterwards?? I am only 30 so I am also alittle concerned about what this might do to my sex life. I have read that for some woman it changes things for the better, for some theres no change an then there are some that is has ruined their sex life. I would like to hear any comments anyone might have.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Stefanie, I'm sorry to hear the results came back with high grade changes and carcinoma in situ. Did he get clear margins with the cone? I am going to ask you a tough question and it's not to question your doctor, but is a hysterectomy for sure what you want to do? If it is, then that is fine, but please know there are other options (ie. another cone or watch and wait) as it seems there was no invasion. It is your decision to make, I'm not going to sit here anonymous and tell you what to do. You need to do what you feel the most comfortable with.

Having said that, I had a vaginal hysterectomy in September. The recovery is definately six weeks. I felt really good the first week after the surgery. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck the second week. Gradually felt better and better as time went on. If you have it done vaginally, it is sometimes hard for others (and maybe even yourself) to understand that you've had major surgery because you don't have any outside scarring. But you have to remember there are hundreds of tiny stitches inside your body that need to heal. I kept my ovaries, they are working and I'm glad I kept them. Please let me know what other questions you have, I'll be glad to answer them for you

Karen

Old 02-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
(female)

Stefanie48 HB User

Thanks Karen for your reply. I have been crying off an on since I found out, not because I am scared but just because there always seems to be something goin wrong with me. I have been through 10 surgeries since I was 16, 6 of them were due to an accident I was in when I was 16. But I figure that sooner or later things have to start looking up for me. I hope anyway, lol.
He didn't get a clear margin with the biopsy.
I am ok with this with having a hysterectomy. I have 2 beautiful children ages 12 and 8. I have my tubes tied, so its not like I will be having anymore children. I was just concerned mostly with what this would do to my sex life, I have read different things. I guess it depends on the person.
I was wondering though, when they say 4 to 6 weeks recovery time, should I to take off work for that amount of time, or I guess it would depend on how I feel. I am workin 3 jobs. Luckly I dont work for any big companies that u have to earn your vacation days, so I wont have a problem taking off.
You said that u had the vaginal hysterectomy, I was thinking that it would be easier, from what I read. I didnt think that it would have you feeling that bad. But it still is major surgery so I guess it would.
Well thanks again for sharing with me. And I will let u know how things go. I'll have plenty of free time coming up, lol.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Hi Stefanie, being comfortable with the decision to have a hysterectomy is an important part of your recovery after surgery. So I'm glad to hear that you are comfortable with it.

The recovery from a vaginal hysterectomy is so varied, you really can't predict how you are going to feel until you go through it. I have a friend who had her surgery done abdominally, and she was always commenting how she felt great by week two and was doing things, and yet, I struggled for a few weeks. The main thing is listening to your body and resting when you need to (and believe me, your body WILL let you know). If you can take the whole 4-6 weeks I say go for it. You only get one chance to heal properly and you don't want to do anything that is going to delay that recovery. Even so many months later, there are times when I can tell I've done too much, I start getting the burning pain where my uterus used to be. Then I just take it easy and rest. It's actually not such a bad thing, good excuse to be a little slack on the housework and let my husband do more

Sex has stayed the same for me, there does not seem to be a difference without the cervix other than it seems I'm a little "shorter". But otherwise it's as good as ever before surgery. With the added bonus that we don't need to worry about contraception or period so we can be a bit more spontaneous. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask

Old 02-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
(female)

Stefanie48 HB User

Accually I do have another question, an I know u can tell me for sure but I need your option. I noticed that there is an oder with the dicharge. The discharge is normal, I know that, but I dont think there should be an oder. Would that mean infection, Things like this always seem to happen to me, I guess I'm at the point that I kinda expect this stuff to happen, am I just being paranoid??
I am gonna call my doctor in the morning, just to be on the safe side. I'm afraid that if I let this go an he does the hysterectomy on March 1st that it could just make things worse if it is an infection.
Thanks for taken the time to help me, I hope I'm not being to much of a pain.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Stefanie, I hope you got ahold of your doctor. It's best if the doc gives you information on that. And you're not being a pain at all. The reason I come here is to lend my support and provide information to gals who need it

Have you found out what kind of surgery you'll be having yet?

Old 02-16-2006, 12:17 PM   #12
(female)

Stefanie48 HB User

Hey Karen, I went to the doctors today, an I dont have an infection but I did ripe my stitches. He said there was some blood an asked if I was bleeding much. I had no bleeding, but since he was messing around I have been bleeding pretty good. He put something on the area that was bleeding to make it stop, but its almost like I have my period now. He told me if it gets bad that I will have to go see him tonight cause he'll be outta town tomm. I'mm just gonna wait an see what happens. I think it will be ok, its not a bright red like he told me to look for (sorry I hope that wasnt to graphic).

As for my surgery, he talked about doin it laparoscopic an then removing everything vaginally, unless he runs into to much scar tissue. I have been reading up on that procedure an it has me alittle worried because it says how doing it that way could cause nerve damage an do something to the urethra. I know the abdominal has a longer recovery time. So I'm not sure what I want to do. If u have an option on either one let me know, at this point I'm thinking lets do the abdmonial surgery, he can go threw a previous scar I have from when I had my tubal pregnacy. I dont know, I'm really confused here, but thats why I'm askin u, so far u have helped me. Thanks

Old 02-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #13
(female)

Stefanie48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterNews106
I hope to get the CKC as soon as possible. I was nearly ready to say "go ahead" at my meeting with my doctor. My doctor, however, did not take the time to sit down and talk with me until less than 24 hours before my scheduled surgery. I was still feeling scared with lots of questions. After talking for about 45 minutes she checked her watch and said "well, Im going to cancel this, because I dont have the time to sit here with you and I can't pressure you into surgery." She's done nothing short of abandon me in my time of need. I have an appointment with another doctor tomorrow and an appointment with a gyn/oncologist next week. There is MUCH more to my story, i'll start my own thread for it, I dont want to hijack.
Sorry I havent replied, an I didnt feel like u were hijacking anything, we're all here to help each other, Karen 32 has been great, Thanks again Karen. I hope u got things straightened out. I'll look for ur thread, but please update me. Take care.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #14

BitterNews106 HB User

I got a 2nd opinion two days after my cancelled CKC appt. The 2nd Dr was MUCH better. I was able to schedule CKC with her in less than a week. I had my surgery done two days ago and I hardly bled. My new Dr called me today and told me that she got clear margins and it didnt look as bad as the previous Drs punch biopsy told. I'm so thrilled. I got good results, a better doctor, and great treatment!! :-)

My previous, DR, by the way hasn't even so much as give me a follow up call. She abandoned me as a patient and couldn't care less about my treatment.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
(female)

Stefanie48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterNews106
I got a 2nd opinion two days after my cancelled CKC appt. The 2nd Dr was MUCH better. I was able to schedule CKC with her in less than a week. I had my surgery done two days ago and I hardly bled. My new Dr called me today and told me that she got clear margins and it didnt look as bad as the previous Drs punch biopsy told. I'm so thrilled. I got good results, a better doctor, and great treatment!! :-)

My previous, DR, by the way hasn't even so much as give me a follow up call. She abandoned me as a patient and couldn't care less about my treatment.
That is great, I'm glad to hear that everything was good.
As for that other dr. some of them r like that, their in it for the money, which is sad. How many other woman had to go through unnecessary procedures because of her.

Closed Thread