It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
ovarian cyst after menapause mystery

I am confused. In 2003 on a cT scan for something else it said "possible cyst on right ovary" My gynocologist at the time didn't seem concerned but last year after doing some reading I found that cysts in later life are very often malignant and need to be checked so I change drs. The new one poked around and could find nothing but sent me for a Transvaginal Ultrasound which only showed my ovaries had shrunken up and no sign of cyst. Now last week I had to have CT scan again for something else and it showed a 2.4 cm cyst on right ovary and recommended ultrasound in one month. I would think that just 6 months ago when I had the pelvic exam and the ultrasound that it would have been picked up as that is not a small cyst. Seeing my GYN next week. Open to suggestions and experiences with such. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: ovarian cyst after menapause mystery

Hi,
I am dealing with an ovarian cyst too, but I am 51 and still having periods. I have been reading alot lately on cysts and I know they can be more of a worry after you have stopped having periods for longer than 12 months. One article I read said women will always productive some estrogen, even after menopause in very small amounts. I would think that you would still be able to get ovarian cysts occasionally then too. My cyst popped up out of nowhere, I don't believe I have ever had one before. I know they can come and go quickly, usually within 3 months if it is a functional cyst. Good idea to keep a watch on it, ultrasounds are much more accurate for ovarian cysts than CT scans, so I am told. Good Luck. Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the info. I think you are still in the age where they don't worry as much about ovarian cysts since you still have your periods. Since it showed in 2003 and then did not by ultrasound 6 months ago and now it shows again on CT scan at a specific size I am thinking in this case the CT scan is more accurate as from a number of posts here and on the other forums that the US has missed quite a few. Anxious to talk to Dr.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Hi,
I had a CT scan before the ultrasound for right lower abdomen pain. The Ct showed a mass on the left ovary, saw nothing on the right. The ultrasound 2 weeks later did indentify the left ovarian mass as a 4.5 complex cyst, some parts solid in the cyst, some blood. I was pretty upset after the CT scan, but the ultrasound got a clearer look at it. I asked my doctor why the CT couldn't tell it was a cyst, he said on pelvic CT's alot of the time gas in the bowel will obsure the ovaries. It basically let us know there was something there. I never had pain on the left side, now I do, probably from thinking about the darn cyst all the time! I just hope both tests, the CT and ultrasound don't miss anything. I guess we are at the mercy of the radiologist who reads the test. Godd luck. Ann

Old 01-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

My CT report said 2.4 simple cyst on right ovary atypical for patients age. Followup with US in one month. I know how you feel about the pain. I think I have it now on the right side too. LOL. My problem is that I have some of the symptoms of OC like the bloating, gas and nausea and have been going thru tests to try and see if there was anything wrong, endo, colon and CT so this is why I am more than a little nervous as they really can't identify an intestinal problem He said IBS but still need to check out cyst as he said it was a large size for a cyst so on to the gynocologist. I think she is going to want to remove it after US.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just a followup. Gyno Dr. said no surgery unless ultrasound shows it to be a complex cyst. Because of my age 70 and my emphesema she feels I have a worse chance of complications with the surgery than it being cancer, that is if it is a simple cyst. Since it showed up in 03 on CT scan and then still on 06 one she feels I have had it for a long time and have no other symptoms. Said they are much more common in postmenapausal women than previously thought and usually showing up these days on CT 's for other things. Anyway, will have US in about 3 weeks so hope it is as she says. She feels quite confident that it is not to be worried over.

Closed Thread