It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

smiles404 HB User
questions...

Hi there, I am new to this board, but I have questions and was seeing if their was anyone out there that went through what I am going through. I am very close to 29 and have invasive cervical cancer and will have a radical hsyterectomy next Wed. the 8th. My husband and I have four children so I am not upset about no more children. I have just heard these horror stories of people after hysterectomies and have really heard nothing good-so I am just seeing if anyone has been through this!? Thankyou!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: questions...

I did not have a radical hysterectomy, mine was a total vaginal hysterectomy, kept ovaries...my cancer was caught as early as it could be (Stage 1a1). Will you keep your ovaries? I have read many success stories from women who have had a hysterectomy (including radical). I have recovered quite well, it's been over four months now and I sometimes forget that I've had the surgery. Every body is different though. Your best bet is to really talk with your oncologist about how you will feel after, and get some direction from him/her. Also, there is a really good site out there (can't name it unfortunately, healthboards rule) that offers hysterectomy support and loads of information to women on what to expect with their surgery. It is by far the most comprehensive site I found to prepare me for my surgery.

I'm sorry that you have been diagnosed so young. I'm 33 myself, I was 31 when we were surprised with the cancer. It took me a long time to work through the medical system, learn to advocate for myself, but I'm finally in a spot where I feel like a whole healthy person again. I hope your surgery goes well for you on the 8th. I check in every once in awhile, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
(female)

smiles404 HB User

Thankyou very much for the reply! They are suppose to keep my ovaries and tubes, and because of my age they said it should turn out good. I am a very active person so to have to stay home and rest will be hard for me. I just never had surgery before so I am freakin out about being put to sleep. i do have a good support system though which has been nice. Thankyou!

Old 02-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
(female)

glorydaz HB User

I hope all goes well for you. I will be having the same thing done when my baby is born. Please keep us updated.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
(female)

imoan HB User

Hi Smiles,
The "best" part of the surgery is being put to sleep. Do not worry about that. In fact, dont worry. You are young & healthy so you should do quite well. It will take some time but there is a light at the end of that tunnel. I'm 2 years past & still kicking! Best wishes, Imoan

Old 02-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
(female)

smiles404 HB User

Thankyou very much! I think that is what I am more worried baout-being put to sleep-but I am starting to feel better!

Closed Thread