It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
(female)

vli814 HB User
Mom With Recurrent Cervical Cancer

Could anyone give me some information on progression of recurrent cervical cancer. My mom has stopped all treatments and no one is giving us any idea of what to expect, other than "fast and painful. She was diagnosed 12/04 and stopped finished all chemo and radiation treatments in 3/04. Next suggestion was total exenteration, but at 72 she wasn't going for that.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
(female)

88Shadow HB User
Re: Mom With Recurrent Cervical Cancer

First I wanted to say how sorry I am that you and your mom are facing this diagnosis. I'm afraid I don't have any info on what to expect with this type of cancer but I DO have a suggestion if you haven't already done it - request a referral to your local hospice and get your mom signed up now. The nurses there will have very likely had experience with cervical cancer. My 47 year old sister was diagnosed with liver cancer (mets from saliva gland cancer) on January 2. She died exactly three weeks later. I (and she) couldn't have survived it without hospice. Their whole focus is on keeping the patient as pain free as possible. We had home care nurses, pastors, councilors, medicine and at the end, in-hospice care. And my sister had no health insurance. They did all of the outpatient care at NO charge. Hospice is my new favorite charity to donate to. They are amazing and can guide both you and your mom through this very difficult process. My prayers are with you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
(female)

vli814 HB User

My mom is currently being taken care of by hospice. The frustration comes into play when trying to help my mom determine approximately how much time she has left. Also the issues of how long she can continue to live alone, and when will it be time to go the the hospice center. Thanks for your advice and prayers.

Last edited by vli814; 02-10-2006 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typo error

Old 02-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
(female)

88Shadow HB User

I'm so glad you're with hospice. Just to share my own experience with my 47 year old sister and her liver cancer - no one can say for certain how much time someone has left. We were told on January 9 that she likely had several weeks to two months left based on a CT scan. That was when I asked for a referral to hospice. She was in a lot of pain so our focus was to get that under control. We planned for her to stay in her apartment with me going down every day and hospice nurses visiting for as long as possible. By Saturday January 14 she was getting confused and not taking her meds right. By Sunday she was getting delusional so I packed some of her stuff and brought her home with me. By that Wednesday she couldn't even talk in normal words. I took her to the ER as hospice had no beds availabe and she was getting upset with me as I couldn't understand what she wanted - a hospice doctor came and examined her and told me he thought she had about two months left based on a CT scan to her brain and blood tests that showed her liver enzymes weren't elevated and her amonia level wasn't high (which they thought was causing the confusion.). They did take her into hospice on the 19th. I was figuring then that we had a couple of months. By Saturday the new doc she was under said she didn't have much time and she died Monday morning the 23rd. Sorry this is so long but I want to show you how NO one could tell me for certain how long she had. The docs were all over the place. And it's especially tough once they are in hospice care as hospice doesn't run tests and things like the hospital as their focus isn't on treatment but pain relief. I can say that you'll know and the hospice nurse will also direct you when it's time to move her either in with you or another relative or into hospice. Lots of prayers coming your way!

Closed Thread