It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
(female)

texan1771 HB User
Thumbs down Aftermath of Treatment and a warning to all!!!

Hello this is going to be lenghty I apologize but have several points to make here.
My history I was digonosed in March 05 that I had stage2b cervical cancer.I was 34 at the time which is awful young for this type of cancer but not unheard of.I decided to seek the BEST in cancer care so I looked at my back door which is Houston Texas,I made a appointment and was seen in a VERY timely manner.They ran their own tests and decided the best course of treatment was 3 months of 5 times a week raditian and 2 and a half of low dose chemo 1 time a week and at the end of it all a bonus 2 internal raditian treatments!!!
Scared to death I did EVERYTHING completed all treatments,and was told I was cancer free WOO HOO!!! was I a happy camper the raditian was the worst of it burning my skin up and frying ALL my female parts which was explained to me now I will be childless BUT ALIVE good enough.
My last treatment was Sept.05

Well in October 05 I was feeling good and decided to get my life back I went back to work BUT then I started having problems in EARLY Nov.05 I was so constipated I went to a local ER and they gave me a prescribed laxative and sent me on my way. it continued by December I was a wreck I waited until after the holidays and in Jan.06 I went to the hospital I had been treated for cancer for ER and was given a enema then the dam broke!!!! I had dirrhea coming from my rear end and Vagina!!! I was sooooooo miserable so I went to the ER there again a week later they admitted me and 3 weeks later in the hospitial I was discharged sporting a colostomy and two urine bags attached to my back draining urine from my kidneys!!!!!
Raditian has destroyed my insides i have 2 fistulas a messed up bladder and colon and hopefully with prayers they will heal and this awfulness of all these bags will be reversed!!!!!!
I needed to vent and warn and advise to all
#1) Go get your annual pap WITHOUT fail and a pelvic exam at least every other year.(wish I had)

#2) If your faced with cancer research it completely raditian is VERY hard on you Please PLease Please think twice about it ( wish I had)

Now thanks for reading and PLEASE pray for me and my family we are tired,stressed and I am hoping all of this wii heal and no more surgeries or required EXCEPT to reverse the colostomy and pee bags in my back!!!!!

I appericate your time.
Ginger

The following user gives a hug of support to texan1771:
Pshorty (11-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
(female)

Lvnglf HB User
Re: Aftermath of Treatment and a warning to all!!!

I'm sure I speak for others when I say,,,,you WILL be in my prayers Ginger.

That is so Horrible

I thank you for the time and effort to post. Your point was loud and clear,,,,Regular pap smears!

I'm a stubborn one also, went over a decade without one, but I was one of the lucky ones, only diagnosed as Cin3.

Besides you're helping others on this site, i'd like to add,,,,,,PASS ON THE MESSAGE TO ALL FEMALE FRIENDS/FAMILLY MEMBERS<<<<TELL THEM TO PASS ON THE MESSAGE TO THEIR FRIENDS!!!

Education is NOW. An embarrasing conversation for some, but, if the word is passed on,,,,can you just imagine the effect it will have=no more cervical cancer treated by radiation/chemo!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S ALL DO OUR BEST TO PREVENT!!!!!!!! Open up to your girlfriends, pass on the education.

(sorry for the screaming! Just makes me EXTREMELY mad, since i'm one that comes from a quiet family, my sister, nor my mom never told me the importance of a pap smear. Think of all the stress/procedures that could be avoided,,,,if we all start yapping! WE NEED TO!)

Ginger,
keep posting, we're here for you.

You're obviously a very strong person to go through all this, and on top of that, to post your thoughts. Keep that strenght up

You'll get rid of those pee bags, and live to tell the story!

(not to sound too strange, but, I believe strongly that your mind does help control your body. On that note,,,,chemo and radiation did some damage, but, without those, , you might of been one of those statistics. Keep a good diet, an awsome outlook, and I STRONGLY believe, , YOU will make this,,,,,, this point, this post, an educational, inspirational, "I BEAT THIS THING".

God bless.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #3
(female)

peacecircle HB User

Ginger, I am so sorry to hear of all you have been through and appreciate your posting so that others can heed your words and get regular exams. I must say, however, that the amount of radiation given you seems an awful lot to me. It is hardly surprising that it messed up your organs in that area. I realy cannot say what would be an acceptable amount of radiation but I know of three people who have had other cancers, rectal, prostate and breast and each of them only had 5 weeks of daily radiotherapy. Even that took its toll, particularly on the the ones with rectal and prostate cancer.

I do hope you soon heal and regain some normalcy in your life. You are incredibly brave.

Take care,

Peacecircle

Old 02-13-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
(female)

nightangel73 HB User

YOu are in my prayers ginger. You are very brave and I sense a positive spirit in you that will get you through it. I agree with lvn in that the mind controls your body. I have a friend who was sent home, doctors didn't gave any hopes of living (lymph cancer/lupus) and she is still alive today, happily married and with a baby. Her mind was something else, she said if she have let the disease take over her mind she would have been dead years ago. Good luck and keep us updated

Old 02-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

I had pelvic radiation, for another pelvic cancer. To give you some hope, I am 4 years post treatment and gradually started to heal. It did take about 3 years for my body to start bouncing back. My vaginal tissues were very dry and my rectal area burned terribly. I have used some meds, to offset the symptoms, but I gradually did improve. Hang in there. I know it's hard.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
(female)

tinker_belle HB User

I will keep you in my prayers - and spread the word about annual pap smears.
8-)
Jen

Old 05-24-2006, 01:30 AM   #7
(female)

texan1771 HB User

Hello and a update and honestly wanted to re-up my post in hopes to warn people about annual exams!!!!
I still have this colostomy and that i believe will be here to stay and the nephrostomy tubes are here and giving me a fit one infection after another!!!!! Not doing good at all Please pray for me,my future looks so bleak and I am scared to death thanks Ginger

Old 05-24-2006, 06:31 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Blonder HB User

Ginger ~
I am just starting on my cervical cancer journey. Thank you so much for posting. I am expecting the worst because I have other complications. God bless you & you are in my prayers for sure. Please continue to post. We all need to hear EVERYTHING!

Old 05-24-2006, 08:26 AM   #9
(female)

texan1771 HB User

I was wondeing blonder what treatment you are going ? And good luck to you

Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
(female)

freesoul HB User

Hi Ginger, You are in my thought's and prayer's.Your story touched me very much,and I know it will touch other's as well.I was recently diagnosed with CIS and will be having a hysterectomy soon.Luckily,I never missed a pap and caught it early.It's so important to have our storie's out there,women need to have as much information as they can get.May you feel better soon!! Take care.

The Following User Says Thank You to freesoul For This Useful Post:
pianomaster (11-23-2010)
Old 05-25-2006, 05:04 AM   #11
(female)

TLValiant HB User

You will be in my thoughts and prayers Ginger!!

Terry

Old 06-18-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
(female)

coolbaglady HB User

Ginger...I am so greatful for your posting. I am going through the same exact thing as you, I have 3 bags as well. However, my case is a little worse. I am still battling cancer. Like you I went through simular treatments for the cervical cancer. I was diagnosed in Oct 04. Since at the time I was 32 years old they said they were going to be as aggresive as possible and the cure rate looked good. The doctors said my treatments would consist of 6 weeks of chemo and radiation. One day a week of chemo and 5 days of radiation. At the end of that cycle I would have 2 internal outpatient radiation treatments. At the end of the cycle of treatments they found that there was still one area that that did not respond. So instead of the outpatient wand treatment, I had to indure the most barbarric internal treatment. I was admitted to the hopsital for 2 cycles of radiation. They insurted about 50 metal rods into my vagina. Each treatment lasted 2 days. It was the worse experience of my life. After all that....There were no signs of cancer! I was thrilled! I was happy to return to a normal life. Things were going great! My career was taking off and I was enjoying life. I went in every three months for CT scans and check ups and all was good.
My life changed once again in Oct 05.
We discovered a lump on the right side of my neck. Immediatly my doctors did a biopsy, CT scan, PET scan and MRI. Unfortunatly the lump tested positive for cancer. I couldnt beleive it! The good thing about the whole situation is that that is the only area in my body that had cancer. So the game plan was to do 6 cycles of chemo over a 6 month period. I still kept a positive attitude and worked for the first 2 months of treatments. I lost my hair this time but I got some great wigs. I am an outside sales rep so I filled my clients in on my situation since it would be odvious that look would be different. I received an overwhelming amount of support. Well during the chemo treatments I started to have blood and mucus in my stool and constant urinary tract infection type of symptions. I went to to a proctologist and had a colonoscopy. Thank god there were no signs of cancer however, they did find the beginnings of a fistula. The doctors were hopeful with suppositories, emimas and steriods that we could heal the ulcer. It didnt work. Also my bladder problem was getting worse. At 33 I was wearing depends because I was constantly leaking. I had a scope done on my bladder and luckly there was no signs of cancer. So they increased my dosage of steriods in hope to repair the radiation damage. Still enduring chemo treatments, I came down with viral meningitis. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks and had a blood and platelate transfusion. I had 1 chemo treatment left and the lump on my neck was no longer visable. A few days before my last chemo treatment was scheduled, the vaginal/rectal fistula broke through. I too had fecal matter coming out both ends. It was horrifing. My doctor immediatly scheduled me for a colonostomy. I was freaking out but again still kept positive thinking having the procedure done is better then what I was dealing with. The surgery went well however when they took out the cathater, I had absolutly no control of my bladder. They once again did a scope of my bladder and a day later they put in the nephrostomy tubes. After all was said and done, I was in the hospital for 17 days. My doctor subscribed 20 hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatments to help the fistuals heal. However my doctor said that the fistulas will never completely heal. After undergoing 10 treatments in the oxygen chamber, the lump on my neck started to surface again. So I stopped the treatments. The treatments however did seem to relieve some of the drainage. However, since oxygen helps to heal wounds it also helps to feed the cancer.
Well...where I'm at now is that I am leaving Las Vegas to return home to Denver. I beleive that I will receive better care there. Health care in Nevada is horrific. I started looking into alternative treatments for the cancer and the healing of the fistulas. I'm still keeping a positive attitude...although some days are rough!
Sorry for rambling on about my story but I hope that if you read this Ginger...it will make you feel a little comfort in knowing your not alone.
Keep a positive attitude! Since you no longer have cancer, you might want to ask your doctors about the hyperbaric treatments.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:48 AM   #13
(female)

texan1771 HB User

Hello All I am overjoyed that this GLOOM subject is being heard,and thanks for all the prayers and well wishes from all

And Cool bag lady I have to say between the two of us we keep medical supply stores in business I am so sorry the beast has resurfaced its nasty head,I guess you can say as of Sept.05 I have been cancer free,which is a blessing... But at what cost? I am ALWAYS paranoid and I mean ALWAYS paranoid the cancer will come back,somewhere and the damage the radiation did on me with the fistula and SEVERE damage to my bladder it seems a never ending struggle here.Is this qualty life? I ask myself... I guess time and God are the ones with answers

I am wondering how you are dealing with the tubes? they drive me insane!!!!!! they bother me way worse than the colostomy,I have never ending urinary tract infections my Dr. is debating whether or not to pull them so we will see You know you and 1 more lady on another message board or the only ones I know that have these tubes,Please keep me posted I am here everyday.... they are stict on their rules here no websites or email exchange so we can bond here Take care Ginger

Old 07-13-2006, 05:38 AM   #14
(female)

neyha HB User

hey ginger.
i have had the same treatment as you but i only had 1 internal treatment lasting 24 hrs.
i am having problems getting my body back on track. i get diarrheah (sp) often and i get pain in my abdoman a lot too. when ever i see a doctor or have scans done nothing shows up. i know that my body is not the same since having treatment but the doctors can't find any thing wrong. i ask them to do full checks on my bowel but they never do. i am also going through the menopause and i am taking HRT but every time i have been on them for more than a month i get problems. i am only 25 yrs old and i have 2 small children to be taking care of but ill health keeps stopping me and doctors here don't really care

Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #15
(female)

texan1771 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Aftermath of Treatment and a warning to all!!!

Just a little bad update,not only is my colostomy permanent but I am probubly going to have a urostomy also I go for major testing to make sure before I wind up with 2 bags Please continue to pray...

As said before and I kick myself now please please go get your annual paps this ALL could have been prevented and have noone to blame but myself!!!

The new pap police,Ginger

Closed Thread