It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

88Shadow HB User
Lightbulb Share how you handle your fear/worry.

Since this subject has come up on a few threads, I thought it might be good for us worryer types to share how we cope with the sheer terror of waiting for diagnosis or hearing bad news or simply conjuring up the worst in our minds. If you have this personality type - would you please share with us what works for you?

For me, I'm finding that minimizing my research is helping. The more I try to self-diagnose via the internet, the more totally freaked out I get. I read a doctor's column in the paper yesterday and he told the questioner "You're going to drive yourself crazy with this. You're doing what you should - let your doctor do the worrying." That was VERY helpful advice and I decided that until a doctor tells me something's really wrong, I have to just let it go. That doesn't mean I don't have moments that the fear is overwhelming but I try to turn away from it. I'm also finding exercise helps. I just had a great workout at the gym and that reduces my stress level significantly. Prayer is another way I'm coping with the worry. I know I'm just passing through this time on the earth so I'm trying to keep that in perspective. My biggest concern is that I last long enough to get my three kids to adulthood so praying about that has helped. Anyone else with advice? Sharing will help a lot of people who are struggling with this!

Old 02-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
(female)

mymollybt1 HB User
Re: Share how you handle your fear/worry.

Great topic! I am the queen of worrying.....I self diagnosis all the time and spend hours pondering the what-ifs! For me, exercise is most important....I have to do it everyday...it truly lowers my anxiety level an amazing amount. Second, I try to keep very busy when I'm in the throes of a worry. I keep myself booked doing things that I like to do. I also vent to my husband a lot, who, thankfully, is very understanding and good at getting me to see things in perspective. We balance each other out since he doesn't worry about a damn thing and I worry about every damn thing! I also try to cut back on the computer and internet searching.....it only feeds my fear!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

88Shadow HB User
Re: Share how you handle your fear/worry.

Wow - does your husband ever sound like my husband! LOL. Mine is the perfect example of an eternal optimist and I sadly am the pessimist. I've always tried saying I was a realist but if I'm truly honest, I do always think the worst! Thanks for sharing!

Closed Thread