It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

j baby HB User
Nervous and need advice!

I hadn't had a pap in years, but had to get one because I'm pregnant... it came back abnormal, so I had a coloscopy and was told I have moderate dysplasia. My dr. wants to do a biopsy after I have the baby, and Im terrified! A co-worker of mine had one done recently and said that it was so painful she cried! I have a low tolerance for pain, not to mention the mental anguish. I mentioned this to my dr, and asked if I could have something for pain before the biopsy. She said no, that it wasn't going to be that bad and she didn't give pain meds for a biopsy. My question is this: do all doctors share her opinion? Isn't it my choice/right to request something for the pain, if only to make me feel better? Has anyone out there had this concern?

Old 02-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #2

want2know HB User
Re: Nervous and need advice!

tehn,l bat

Last edited by want2know; 03-22-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #3

want2know HB User

tehn,l bat

Last edited by want2know; 03-22-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I have a high pain tolerance usually and let me tell you there is nothing that will take the pain away. It only hurts while the doc is doing the deed and afterwards it doesn't. I tried pain killers and Ativan and no luck..........Congrats on your pregnancy and I hope afterwards all turns out OK. I had always had normal paps every year until I had the pap after I had my baby. It came back abnormal and I had colposcopy's and cone biopsy and have Adenocarcinoma n situ and moderate displasia. Moderate displasia in itself is not that big of a deal but AIS is and to my dismay will be scheduling a hysterectomy in the very near future. Just do not worry about it and just enjoy your pregnancy..........

Old 03-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
(female)

Lvnglf HB User

If you're refering to a punch biopsy....

My personal opinion. It's not that bad if you relax your body at the time.

They took 3 "punch" out of me, and it wasn't bad at all. It all boils down to what you compare that feeling with. I compare that experience with a broken ankle,,,i'll take punch biopsy over that any day!

It's not worth the worry.

(I sure do know it's hard not to worry, but, do your best. )

As for pain killers, just take some over the counter pain killers. Something that does NOT thin your blood. Ask your pharmacist.

God bless.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
(female)

schecid_jr HB User

I work with Dr's and yes it is your choise if you want pain killers or not... but usually Dr's do not give anything stronger than motrin... my advice is that you take some motrin about an hour before you have the biopsy done.... and relax... you can't believe how much deep breathing helps when they do anything call it biopsy, colposcopy or anything that is invasive.... so relax... and take it easy... at the end is way better to have a biopsy now and deal with whatever the results are (hopefully nothing) than to go thru a worst treatment later on... only 'cuz you wanted to avoid the pain...! GOOD LUCK !!!! And congratulations on your pregnancy

Closed Thread