It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
(female)

88Shadow HB User
Nespaper article on Adenocarcinoma

Today's paper had an informative article on this rarer form of cervical cancer. It said basically that the HPV virus has been found to be the main risk factor associated with Adenocarcinoma. It said it has long been known that HPV is a cause of squamous cell cancer which is the most common form of cervical cell changes. There has been an 80-fold increace in risk of cervical adenocarcinoma. Herpes Simplex virus 2 also is a risk factor as well as long-term use of hormonal contraceptives. In studies in Africa, South Amerca and South Asia the cases of adenocarcinoma doubled in relation to all other cervical cancers between 1973 and 1996. The two most widely tested HPV vaccine therapies being studied have the potential to prevent 86 percent of all cervical adenocarcinoma cases (they will also help prevent the more common SCC type). These are still in FDA clinical trials and I've been unable to get verified information on whether they'll do any of us who already have the high risk HPV any good or not. If anyone has definite information on that, could you share it? I found some info that said it would help those already infected and some that said it's just for people who've never been infected.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
(female)

Lvnglf HB User
Re: Nespaper article on Adenocarcinoma

I don't have any input,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing .

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
(female)

ilovesporty HB User

Shadow,
Thanks for sharing the article. It is nice to hear some coverage on this issue, especially those of us that do have the more rare adenocarcinoma. Just FYI, from what I know, the vaccine will not do those of who already have HPV any good. The makers recommend use on those not who have not been potentially exposed to the virus (i.e. those who have not had sexual experiences), specifically older girls/younger women around 10-15. I'm looking forward to the day when no other women have to worry about this virus or its effects.

Take care!

Last edited by ilovesporty; 03-11-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
(female)

88Shadow HB User

Meg:

Thanks for sharing that information. My prayers are with you that you've seen the end of this horrible virus!

Old 03-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
(female)

88Shadow HB User

I just checked out Merck - the makers of the HPV vaccine and there are a lot of clinical trials going on. Everyone on this board might check them out and consider volunteering. If you qualify for a clinical trial while you're going through this stuff anyway, it could really help everyone who might face this in the future! Just thought I'd mention it!

Closed Thread