It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

MmeMulot HB User
Unhappy Mass in ovary -- scared

I had a pelvic ultrasound today because I've been having pelvic pain on the left side and some spotting. They found a corpus lutem cyst in the left ovary and a solid mass in the right ovary. The mass is 1.5 cm. I'm 36 years old.

It was unexpected to find something in the right ovary, because all my pain has been on the left. They had me do the CA-125 blood test, but they said I won't get the results for a week. After that, we'll decide if immediate surgery is needed.

I am TERRIFIED of it being ovarian cancer. I know three people connected to work who have had ovarian cancer (one died in her 40s, one has a really bad prognosis, one seems to have beaten it), and so I know how deadly it is. The doctor said statistically my risk is low, but that's no guarantee. I know there's no way to know without the surgery, but I'm dreading the waiting and worrying. I also have anxiety disorder and health anxiety, so I know I'll be a basket case for the next few weeks. I guess I'm just looking for some support and good thoughts.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
(female)

88Shadow HB User
Re: Mass in ovary -- scared

I'm right there with you in the waiting game and alternating between fear and hope! Many of us on this board can TOTALLY relate to the overwhelming fear that can attack you when you're worried about your health. All I can do is give you a big cyber-hug and say I completely understand. I'm waiting on biopsy results of a lump I found on the outside. Now wouldn't THAT be a great place to get cancer but I guess it happens. I was so freaked out about my cervical issues and now this! I don't understand why in this day and age it takes a whole week to get something back from a lab! Whatever you do - stay off the internet and don't try to self-diagnose. It just makes things worse and you can't diagnose something. On another board, they have a saying "It ain't cancer till the doctor says it's cancer". I just keep repeating that to myself! I'll keep you in my prayers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
(female)

MmeMulot HB User

Thank you so much for your reply, 88Shadow, and a cyber-hug back to you. It's so very hard for me not to think the worst. I'll try to keep that saying from the other board in mind. I hope that you get good news, too! I've had to wait on biopsy results before, and the wait is excruciating. It does seem like it wouldn't be so long these days! It's enough to give you an anxiety disorder if you don't have one to begin with.

And, yes, I need to not read too much on the Internet, because all I ever see is the BAD stuff! I just automatically think that cancer = death, even if it's not necessarily so, and that's exactly the thought process you're NOT supposed to have!

Old 03-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
(female)

MmeMulot HB User

Just an update. I have an appt. with an oncology gynecologist on Monday to get another opinion.

This is really rough. I can hardly sleep or eat, I'm so anxious.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

MmeMulot,

I hope that you are keeping busy. That is the main way, to not be so stressed. I too, hate having to wait between biopsies and blood tests and pap and mammogram tests. You always imagine the worst.

I had a small cyst like you have on your ovary. It was also a solid mass. They did nothing to mine for several weeks, and it kept getting smaller. Another vaginal ultrasound in 3 mo., and then again in 3 more months. I also had a simple cyst on my other ovary. They both, eventually went away. They either shrunk or ...

I guess the difference between us is that I am 55 yrs. old and they said that my ovaries could be shrinking. Plus, I am not too worried (just painful) because later this summer, I will have a hysterectomy and have both ovaries removed, among other things, that I want I need done.

I think you are wise to get another opinion. Good Luck!

Take care and write again.

Wannabe

Old 03-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
(female)

MmeMulot HB User

Thank you so much for your message, Wannabe! I definitely do always imagine the worst. The waiting is tough. I'm glad to hear that it is possible for a solid mass to disappear. Whether mine would or not, who knows, but it's good to know that it's POSSIBLE.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi MmeMulot,

You are Welcome! :> Let us hear after your appt. on Monday.

Wannabe

Closed Thread