It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
(female)

nri3 HB User
10yrs normal Paps to cancer

Has anyone out there had years of normal paps (5+ yrs) and then an abnormal pap that was diagnosed as carcinoma in situ or invasive cervical cancer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
(female)

ilovesporty HB User
Re: 10yrs normal Paps to cancer

Welcome to my life! I've been having paps since I was 15. I am now 26 and just had my first abnormal one in October (adenocarcinoma in situ). I've had 2 cold knife conizations to remove the areas, and found out I actually had stage 1a1 cervical cancer.

From what I know, adenocarcinoma is a lot harder to detect than squamous cell carcinoma on paps. What is likely is that while cells were changing (dysplasia), our paps were coming back "normal."

I wish you all the best! I just got the "all clear" last week. I'm hoping to try to start a family soon....

Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I'm 54 and have had paps since I was 20. They were all normal. A year ago
the doctor thought my cervix looked like it had a nodule on it and wanted me to get it checked. The gyn scheduled a colposcopy and biopsy and the biopsies showed LSIL. I went in for another colpo/biopsy 6 months later and biopsy still showed LSIL. At that appointment they also did an HPV test
(negative) and another pap, also negative. I go in again next week for yet another colpo/biopsy......not my favorite thing to do. Since I don't have HPV and my paps are normal I have to have a colpo/biopsy every 6 months until they figure out what's going on, or until 2 biopsies in a row come up clear. If any patient suspects they may have a problem, I wouldn't rely on the results of a pap smear only. They are just a screening tool.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:17 PM   #4
(female)

schecid_jr HB User
Unhappy Re: 10yrs normal Paps to cancer

I've been having papsmears since I was 16, I'm now 22 and about a month ago I had an abnormal pap that showed CIN III... I'm having a colposcopy on the 27th, and a possible leep on the 7th, the doctors recomend I wait 6 months after the leep and then try to get pregnant, they don't know if it's coming back and once you have a CIN III your chances to get a hysterectomy increase... that's what they say, and I personally hope it is not true...!

Old 03-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
(female)

kitkatD HB User

I've been having NORMAL paps for 13 years & all of a sudden I got ASCUS on my pap which was no big deal until the colposcopy & biopsies showed Carcinoma in Situ. I'm not sure WHY all of a sudden I am getting all these changes, but just wanted to let you know it's possible, but from what I am told it is HIGHLY treatable so try not to sweat it (yes, easier said than done ). Anyway, good luck with whatever you find out. I get my LEEP cone biopsy results this Thursday! Hope I get good news. Take care.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I had normal paps for 24yrs. I had a normal pap last March and in August post pg I had an abnormal one. I had colposcopy done and doc couldn't see anything and felt it was just left over from hormones. He did a ECC. (scarping tissue to send in). It came back with Adenocarcinoma n situ. I had a cone done and showed barely clear margins. I waited 3 mo and in the meantime consulted two gyn/oncl who said Hysterectomy was the only sure fire cure. Unfortunately so did all the research on AIS. Oh yeah I had a HPV test that showed positive then too. At my three month post cone I had negative HPV test and it showed CIN111. Again consulting the oncologist and it was still recommended to have the H because with AIS it can skip locations since it is glandular and there would be no way to know if it was higher up or invasive. SO Monday I had the H. My glands and tissues showed no residual disease and NO CIN111 at all. Neither doctor could tell me why the post report showed CIN111 and I didn't have it at all? I know question did I need the H after all? My doctors say yes since there would be a lifetime of testing with AIS. Can't question now as it is to late so I am just recovering and glad it is all over and I do not have to be concerned about it anylonger.

Closed Thread