It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

BlackAmex HB User
Discharge after Colposcopy

I had a colposcopy yesterday and today am getting some weird discharge. It's kind of like globs of brown mucus - I'm sorry for being graphic. It isn't an overwhelming amount, but I'm wondering if this is normal? I think I'm just so freaked out about this whole thing that I'm starting to panic.

Last edited by BlackAmex; 03-15-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
(female)

ilovesporty HB User
Re: Discharge after Colposcopy

Hi! I had a little bit of discharge for several days after my colpo/biopsy. Mine was also darker that a typical period and my gyn said this was fairly normal. If it continues for more than a few days, then I would call your gyn. Otherwise, I think you're probably okay. I understand the freaking out. It's easy to do. Just try to relax. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2006, 07:11 PM   #3

want2know HB User

...ten characters

Last edited by want2know; 03-22-2006 at 07:42 PM.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Did you have a biopsy with the colposcopy? If so, the doctor would have painted the area with something called Monsels paste. It helps stop the bleeding. It does come out brown and yucky looking. If you have any questions you can look up just about any colposcopy site and it will mention Monsels paste.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
(female)

tpagm HB User

gingertea is correct. What you are seeing is the Monsul solution. The solution stops the bleeding. Depending on how much you were the bleeding the more the doctor will put. I know for a fact only because my last colpo my dr had a hard time stopping the bleeding and had to keep putting more and more monsul solution. She was telling me as she was applying it. In turn I had the stuff coming out of me for almost two weeks and I am not kidding. As long as it doesn't smell you are fine. If an odor is present that can be a sign of infection. Good Luck

Old 03-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
(female)

BlackAmex HB User

God I don't even know if he did a biopsy. I know he said he was putting something on it to stop the bleeding, but I think he said it was a piece of cotton. I can't really remember, I was trying not to cry while I was lying there.

Last edited by BlackAmex; 03-15-2006 at 07:53 PM.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
(female)

tpagm HB User

Well if he was stopping bleeding he definitely took a biopsy. There is no other reason why you would be bleeding. They use cotton to apply the Monsul Solution.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
(female)

88Shadow HB User

BlackAmex:

I want to say two words to you: Calm Down. You are way too freaked out about this for what the situation calls for. I know it's scary when you're first faced with an abnormal pap of any type. But if you have mild dysplasia you do NOT have cancer and nothing horrible is going to happen to you. The colposcopy is freaky, I'll admit, but remember you are being proactive and taking care of your health. Now that the doc has done a biopsy, you will get a definitive answer of whether this is mild dysplasia or less or more. Remember the pap is a diagnostic tool. I've heard of people getting a mild dysplasia reading on a pap and then absolutely nothing showing up on the biopsy. Lab people read the paps and they all have their own interpretations. If it does come back mild dysplasia - your doctor should put you on a watch and have you come back in three months for a re-pap. If it's moderate to severe dysplasia it's still NOT cancer. They will have to do a more invasive procedure to get rid of the cells that are causing the problem. As awful as this is, think about getting cancer somewhere else (like in your breast or even worse in your liver!) where there is no warning and no opportunity to put a stop to it. In a weird sense - we're lucky we're dealing with something so treatable! Big hugs!

Old 03-16-2006, 04:23 AM   #9
(female)

ilovesporty HB User

Shadow,
Well said! It's important to remember that while the steps to getting there arent' always fun, we are dealing with a highly treatable disease. Not many women who seek annual and followup treatment have dysplasia or cancer that progresses to an unmanagable level.

BlackAmex,
Your body needs YOU right now! Try your best to do something that relaxes you. It's important to limit your stress so that your body's immune system is ready to fight! Good luck!

Old 03-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
(female)

BlackAmex HB User

88Shadow,

I know, and I'm sorry for overreacting, I apologize. I'm just feeling overwhelmed. I'm not even a dramatic or emotional person but for some reason this whole thing is just completely throwing me for some kind of loop from hell. I know I need to just calm down and stop freaking out, which I think I'm doing. I think. :-)

Anyway I should get the results Monday or Tuesday and instead of assuming I'll have a horrible test result I'm just going to try to relax and take the news as it comes and not assume the worst.

And Ilovesporty, I am! I promise. Lots of rest, vitamins, eating right. Thanks everyone for their support.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:53 PM   #11
(female)

88Shadow HB User

I DO hope you didn't take my post as a criticism of your reaction but only one of trying to help you to relax! I totally, totally understand how freaky this is when you're first confronted with it. But you are doing EVERYTHING right. Educating yourself, looking for support, seeing your doctor. I'm confident you'll be fine. I'm not minimizing the stress. I've been there, I'm still there. But you are going to be okay!

Old 03-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #12
(female)

BlackAmex HB User

No, I know, I'm just uber sensitive right now I guess! I know everyone on this board is here to support and help one another, and I appreciate that, really, so much.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
(female)

sammie21 HB User

I had a colposcopy done three days ago. My cervix would not stop bleeding, so my doctor coated a tampon with Monsels and sent me home. I can't get the tampon out! any advice?

Closed Thread