It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User
Another Colop

Hi I am 21 years old and last July had abnormal pap results. I then had to go in and have a colop/biopsy done. The results came back as moderate and severe dysphasia, then was the cryosurgery. In Jan I went back for my first follow up pap the doctor told me it looks worse but he doesn't know if it is "cancerous" or just a higher stage of dysphasia. I went in for another colop/biopsy 2 weeks ago and go back next week for results and consultation. I am scared to death. My mom had cervical cancer and my grandmother died from cervical cancer so I am really stressed out about all of this. I don't even know that I will ever want babies but at 21 I don't want the choice taken away from. Then I worry what my b/f will think of me. He is very supportive and I should even think this way but will he still think of me the same why if I have to have a hysterectomy? If I can't carry children? If we can't be intimate for however long? I don't know that I am ready to hear the results to my test. I want to know but at the same time I don't. I have been having irregular bleeding, and pain and bleeding after intercourse which my dr said are signs of cervical cancer. I don't know what to or where to turn right now. I try to talk to family and friends but all they want to do is tell me everything is going to be fine, but they don't know that. I just need someone to listen...

Old 03-17-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User
Re: Another Colop

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this until I actually find out my results? I haven't been sleeping or eating the stress is just really getting to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

I'm so sorry you are so worried about getting your results, having said that, I understand very much the place you are at right now, and how hard it is to wait (and not pull out all your hair or give yourself a nervous breakdown in the process). The best thing I found was to keep myself busy. I started a couple craft projects, I read books, I minimized my "research" time online. You're right, family and friends have a different point of view. It is the "be positive" approach, and even though we know that is what we need to do, it is very hard to overcome our fears to do this. My family was the same way. I was so sick and tired of hearing "everything will be fine". Other things you can do is treat yourself to a day or half day at the spa, a nice massage or pedicure, to focus on other parts of your body. Find a relaxation tape or relaxation exercises, these are AMAZING, believe it! You might also want to consider talking with a counselor. There are so many emotional issues that result from this kind of stuff, sometimes and objective outside opinion can help you focus on what you really need, what you really want, and how to get it.

I hope you get your results soon.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User

Thank-You Karen

Old 03-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
(female)

ilovesporty HB User

I too know how stressful this can be. First of all, let me say that things have come a loooooong way since your grandmother's time. It sounds like even if your results come back as cancerous, your doctors caught this very early. I'd never had an abnormal pap in the 11 years I'd been going to the gyn. Then, all of a sudden I get one that indicates cancer at 26 yo. It's definitely a mind-blowing experience. I stressed like crazy and wanted to know everything about cervical cancer that I could. Then, I woke up, realized that my body needed me to fight. I increased my exercise routine to 5 days a week, started eating even better, and tried my best to just relax. My hubby and I laid low and watched a lot of movies together and I treated myself to a pedicure. I know it's tough, but the best thing you can do is relax.

It's sounds like one of the things you are most worried about is your relationship with your BF. Talk with him open and honestly. He's probably just as scared as you are. Tell him that you need his support and ask him the questions that are floating around your head. My situation really drew my hubby and I closer together.

And as a side note, my results did come back cancer, and I'm living proof that things can be okay. There are many options other than a hysterectomy for young women who want to preserve their fertility, so make sure you advocate for yourself if need be. I did, and now I'm allowed to start trying to get pregnant in a month. Trust your instincts!

Good luck to you and remember to take care of yourself! Your body needs you!

Old 03-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User

Ilovesporty,

Thank you so much. I know I need to talk to him about it, he has tryed to bring it up a few times but I always just act like "I'm ok". I have been doing that alot lately, but it's getting harded. Can I ask what treatment option you used that left you able to get pregnant and what stage your cancer was in?

~Beki

Old 03-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
(female)

ilovesporty HB User

Hi Beki! I've had 2 cold knife cone biopsies and a pelvic lymphadenectomy (removal of 25 lymph nodes). The cones remove a cone portion of your cervix while your under general anesthesia. It's a fairly simple, routine procedure. There are still risks with carrying a baby, and sometimes women need to have a cerclage placed after the first trimester in order to keep the cervix closed. My pap showed up as adenocarcinoma in situ (stage 0) and after my first cone, it was stage 1a1. I was really lucky that my gyn caught it. My second cone was just 2 weeks, which came back clear of any abnormal cells. Keep the questions coming if you need more answers. I'll tell you what I can/know.

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User

Thank you so much. I go in for my results tomorrow morning and have been trying to find out as much as I can. Thank you.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
(female)

ilovesporty HB User

Good luck, Beki! Keep us posted!

Old 03-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User
Re: Another Colop - Update!

I went this morning for my results and the DR told me the biopsies came back better then the pap did?? He said that he assumes he biopsied the wrong spots as he asked another doctor to look at the pap to make sure it was moderate and severe dysplasia. The doctor agreed that the pap did show moderate and severe dysplasia. He is said it is one in a million that this got better on it's own so he now wants to do LEEP in two to three weeks. Of course my first question was will this hurt my chances of carrying children later? He said with just having this done once it isn't likely that it will hurt my pregnancies later. I am so afraid of the pain though. He said I should take some Motrin before I come and they would put a numbing agent on my cervix before they start but I am really scared.

Closed Thread