It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User
treatment follow-up

Hi, I just had my 6 month follow-up examination this morning, after being treated for CINII.

The thing is, I'm not sure whether I was given a smear or a colposcopy. I know it must sound really silly but I was in such a state and just wanted it to be over with.

The screen beside the bed was switched on the same way it was when I had my colposcopy about 7 months ago but I'm not sure if they do that when you get a smear in hospital as well.

can anyone tell me what sort of examination they had at their 6 month check up after being treated?

Thanks alot

Old 03-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: treatment follow-up

I had my second follow up smear in the gyn's office (9 months after LEEP), then she booked me in for a colpo "to give me peace of mind". At the colpo appointment she did also did an endocervical curettage. If I had gone to the original gyn who had dx'd me, I would have had a colposcopy at that appointment.

I would think if you had a colposcopy, the doctor would have given you some verbal information regarding the state of your cervix. And, if the doc did do a colpo and did not take any biopsies, then that is a REALLY good thing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

Hi Karen, thanks for replying.

My examination was done by the doctor who treated me, in the same hospital.

I asked how my cervix looked and she said it looked fine and that I would get results back in 4 weeks (which made me think it was just a smear).

She also said that she would see me in a years time and then afterwards I could go back to my regular GP for smears. x

Old 03-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
(female)

tpagm HB User

sounds like you had a pap smear. Usually when you get a colpo the doctor has to use a machine where she/he can magnify your cervix and then they apply a vinegar type solution to see if there are any lesions or dsyplasia. A colpo takes a little bit longer then a pap as well especially if the doc takes biospies and you would have known if the doc took biospies.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:55 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

malibu82 HB User

Hi tpagm, no I definitely didn't get any biopsies taken. I've had that lovely experience all ready!!

My cervix was magnified onto the video screen beside the doctor.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Malibu, it sounds like probably you had a smear only. My previous gyn had the colpo equipment in his office, and he said that sometimes he will look through the glasses to examine the cervix a bit closer, but not do the vinegar wash to highlight the cells. Perhaps this is what your doc did? Probably the best way to find out is to call the doc and ask. As I said earlier, if there were no biopsies taken, that is a really good sign. Sorry you have to wait so long for your results to come in. Smear results here average around 6 weeks, which is horrible in my opinion. Take care.

Closed Thread